Need to develop teh youngsters but need to win!

god7father

Reaction score
I am in an enviable position that I have some very good youngsters on my Roma team mostly forwards but def and mids as well. I have loaned out many of them but some have refused to go on loan. My dilemma is trying to balance playing time, with the need to win games. Most of my youngsters can play for my U 20 team but I would love to give them first team experience.
My question is: how do you guys juggle the need for player development and achieving success. Secondly is there a minimum amount of first team football that an up and coming youth needs to fully progress to his potential... Will playing him 20 minutes every other or third first team game reap benefits? I ask because I have already stalled a couple of my player’s progress by not playing them enough...according to the coaches comments in the players training page.

I usually give my youngsters a run out during cup matches, and if your in the Europa League sometimes then, depending on the team you face really. So with Roma, it would be the Coppa Italia, If not in them types of matches then I would say slowly work them into your first team by bringing them off the bench in League matches. It does help the players develop. Also try getting a senior player to tutor one of them. I'm sure De Rossi and Totti would be great role models.

IMO game time is the best way to develop youngsters, I usually start them in easier home games, and always got them on my bench so if i'm 2-0 or plus up bring them on, training and tutoring obviously help but game time is the best way IMO. want my advice give them as much time as possible

Game time is absolutely crucial for their development. It's a matter of trust in the end. If you think they're good enough to do the job, they you need to trust them enough to play them. The oldest player in my squad at the moment is 23. The rest are all 19 or 20 year olds. And I'm basically winning everything there is to win (with Porto). A midfielder that I got recently is just 17 and I played him against Barcelona away because I think he's good enough. I feel 17-18 year olds should make at least around 15 or more appearances in the first team..and beyond 18, at least 30 first team apps to be honest :D good luck!

Tbh, just make them your first 11. Within 10 games they'll be golden if they really have got any potential.