Netherlands overtake Spain to top Fifa world rankings

fm1063

Reaction score
The Netherlands have replaced Spain at the top of Fifa's
world rankings, with England climbing two places to fourth.

The world and European Champions have dropped to second after losing ranking
points in a friendly defeat by Italy.

England, despite having
their friendly against the Dutch postponed,
have risen because of Brazil's
loss to Germany.

Republic of Ireland went up two places to 31st, Scotland leapt six places to
55th, Northern Ireland rose three places to 59th but Wales fell to 117th.

In topping the rankings for the first time, the Netherlands become only the
seventh nation to hold top spot - Argentina, Brazil, France, Germany and Italy
are the others.

[h=2]Fifa rankings for August[/h]1 Netherlands
2 Spain
3 Germany
4 England
5 Uruguay
6 Brazil
31 Republic of Ireland
55 Scotland
59 Northern Ireland
117 Wales

Spain had held top spot since July 2010 following their
World Cup final victory over the Netherlands in South Africa

Germany lie third, while Uruguay are South America's top-rated nation in
fifth after winning the Copa
America in Argentina
, with Brazil sixth.

Italy, Portugal, Argentina and Croatia complete the top 10.

Wales, who have fallen behind Haiti and North Korea, occupy their worst
position since the rankings were introduced in 1993.

Fifa ranking points are accumulated according
to results, the importance of the matches played and the strength of the
opposing teams.

Couldn't find thread so posted it.

SOURCE:BBC Sport - Netherlands overtake Spain to top Fifa world rankings

England 4th lol. Wouldv'e been perfect for the joke thread

I don't take these too seriously. Spain are still by far the best team in the world. England in 4th kinda proves my pointXD

I still fail to understand why Wales appointed an inexperienced manager like Gary Speed, they've just gone from bad to awful.

Holland has good DM's and that amazing front four (RVP, VDV, Sneijder, Robben) but some of them will be too old and slow for 2014 (what makes them so effective is their speed).

Spain OTOH has a defense that is much, much better than Holland and has a lot more depth. And their most talented players are better than Holland's. But the rankings are pretty silly though and we shouldn't pay too much attention to them (see England).

Germany though is the team to beat for me in 2014. By that point they'll have more experience and be ready to beat anyone. Spain's core might be too old (David Villa, Xavi, Puyol) but they have so much talent they might even win it in a transitionary year.

Even though I don't rate their squad that much, Brazil will probably win it though thanks to the home soil advantage.

For me though, Spain and Germany are a step above the rest, followed by Holland, and then Portugal (on paper at least), and after that it's a big drop off. France on paper is almost as talented as Spain or Germany but who knows when they'll get it together.

Holland has good DM's and that amazing front four (RVP, VDV, Sneijder, Robben) but some of them will be too old and slow for 2014 (what makes them so effective is their speed).

Spain OTOH has a defense that is much, much better than Holland and has a lot more depth. And their most talented players are better than Holland's. But the rankings are pretty silly though and we shouldn't pay too much attention to them (see England).

Germany though is the team to beat for me in 2014. By that point they'll have more experience and be ready to beat anyone. Spain's core might be too old (David Villa, Xavi, Puyol) but they have so much talent they might even win it in a transitionary year.

Even though I don't rate their squad that much, Brazil will probably win it though thanks to the home soil advantage.

For me though, Spain and Germany are a step above the rest, followed by Holland, and then Portugal (on paper at least), and after that it's a big drop off. France on paper is almost as talented as Spain or Germany but who knows when they'll get it together.

Spain are a step up, then germany, then the others then, england, then another drop. hardly a big drop off between sides, especially if you are judging on paper

or somehow mexico will take it with key players like chicharito,dos santos,vela, and Ochoa :p

Nobodies mentioned Japan.

So I will.

I think Japan will do well in the World Cup.

And Germany should win it.