Kinzil

Reaction score
Playing with a Sky Bet League 1(3rd division) team, it's normal that the scouts take in consideration the actual league when judging the players. But a 5 stars 3rd division player is a weak player for a first division side. So how to know the real level and potential of a player ?

Your scout reports will say 'good championship player' or 'decent premier league player'. Does it really matter that much? As long as I'm getting a better player (3+) stars, my squad is improving.

Your scout reports will say 'good championship player' or 'decent premier league player'. Does it really matter that much? As long as I'm getting a better player (3+) stars, my squad is improving.

I disagree completely. It's key to know whether a player is just good enough for where you are now or has the ability to be good in higher leagues. If i'm signing a 20 year old and it says he's going to be a top 3rd division player I want my younger players to have plenty of room for growth and I'm hoping that I will be in a higher division by the time he hits potential so by the time he hits his top 3rd division player potential i'm going to be in the Premier League and he's going to be useless.

I disagree completely. It's key to know whether a player is just good enough for where you are now or has the ability to be good in higher leagues. If i'm signing a 20 year old and it says he's going to be a top 3rd division player I want my younger players to have plenty of room for growth and I'm hoping that I will be in a higher division by the time he hits potential so by the time he hits his top 3rd division player potential i'm going to be in the Premier League and he's going to be useless.
That's assuming you make it to the Premier League at all. If you can get a 5 star, future Premier League player, great. They'll probably be a rare prize though. I wouldn't turn a future Championship quality player down because I'm stupid enough to look 2 divisions ahead.

Edit: Don't think I expressed myself properly in the earlier post. If a player is rated as 4 or 5 stars, he's a significant improvement. I don't care what league he'll be good for. He'll significantly improve my squad, whatever his ceiling is.

Last edited:
Playing with a Sky Bet League 1(3rd division) team, it's normal that the scouts take in consideration the actual league when judging the players. But a 5 stars 3rd division player is a weak player for a first division side. So how to know the real level and potential of a player ?

If your scout finds a 5 star rated player for your 3rd division side you snap him up! lol

Its all well and good saying he'd be no good in the Premier League but and they end of the day your in League 1. In all honesty how likely is it that some wonderkid will slip through the grasp of all the Premier League and Championship clubs to land with you in League 1.

And probably most importantly, don't put too much stock into your scouts star ratings, look at the attributes yourself to get a real idea.

I completely agree with you, I play with Burton Albion and I'll be in the second division in the following season, and probably in the EPL in few seasons if I get a good budget.

That's assuming you make it to the Premier League at all. If you can get a 5 star, future Premier League player, great. They'll probably be a rare prize though. I wouldn't turn a future Championship quality player down because I'm stupid enough to look 2 divisions ahead.

Edit: Don't think I expressed myself properly in the earlier post. If a player is rated as 4 or 5 stars, he's a significant improvement. I don't care what league he'll be good for. He'll significantly improve my squad, whatever his ceiling is.

It is definitely presumptious but we all play the game with the aim to succeed.

We play the game to succeed but how often is it that a team comes up from say League 1 or 2 to the Premiership and keeps the same squad? I can only think of Southampton who have managed such a feat and even then some of those players didn't make it, just a few exceptions like Lallana (who was with them before they dropped but was still young), Fonte and Lambert off of the top of my head. If I'm playing in League 1 then I'd want to improve my squad yes, but I wouldn't turn down a player who would be immense in League 1 but potentially not make it in the Championship or Premiership but be seen as a squad player to cover for injuries. I'd always look to improve my side for now, if you find a gem of a player who does make it in the Premiership then even better.