ob_sangani

Reaction score
Chapter 1

After retiring from playing football, I found myself with a lot spare time. I knew it had to be something to do with the sport I loved. Having played as a central midfielder and as captain for later part of my short career being in charge was something I was always good and felt let’s give management a go. Was part of the under 18 squad for man utd winning the under 18s and then was promoted to the reserve team. Unfortunately SAF was of the opinion that staying at man utd might not be beneficial with the current first team players of Scholes, Neville, Keane and ****. Breaking into the team might not be possible although he was kind enough to give me the opportunity to stay but I felt I needed to be playing first team football. Having left never regretted the decision, was making a name for myself and made captain at the age of 25 when tragedy struck when a two legged tackle hitting my knee ending my career. Ironically in that game having already made an assist and a constant thorn in the opposition with my passing, was later to find out that man utd scouts were present tracking my progress, what might have been.

After recovery from multiple surgeries and walking again with my walking stick I worked towards getting my coaching badges. I started as assistant coach. When the current manager was fired I took over given a temp stint until a replacement was found. In that season fought my team out of relegation and was at the end of season made permanent manager. The next season, ended the campaign 5th​ in the league and winning the league cup. I was then given the opportunity to work in Spain and as the team was in the first league felt it was my next step towards a position at a top team. I lead them to a league cup beating Real Madrid in the final 3 – 2 in over time and ended the campaign 6th​ qualifying for Europa league.

In the start of 2011 found out the SAF was taken in sick and recurred but felt his time in managing was over and Man Utd were looking for his replacement. Working in Man Utd again, a dream maybe…sent in a request to be considered. A week later was in Old Trafford having a meeting with Mr. D Gill about what he saw in Man Utd’s future talking about the financial situation, players and the emergence of Man City and I gave my own opinions on how would I try and take the club forward.

Got a personal call from Mr. Gill 3 days later asking me if I was still interested in becoming Man Utds next manager? I think I said YES!

Wow great story! Hoping to see a next part soon!

Chapter 2

After the initial press briefings, where they were wondering whether I was experienced enough for this job and potential signings, I replied I’ll let the results speak for themselves. Then met the backroom staff where, I asked Phelan to stay on as assistant manager but made a few additions and subtractions including promoting some of my better youth coaches.
Speaking to A.M decided on having separate tactics for home and away games and was hoping to bring the passing of close one touch Arsenal and the cutthroat of Barcelona. Starting the team off with a 4 3 2 1 for home games and either an unorthodox 4 1 2 1 2 or a 4 2 2 2 counter for away games.
As for signings felt we needed a right back as Rapheal was still young and needed a more experienced player for bigger games so had eye on Srna or Veil having bids accepted for both players (20 and 24 mil respectively) decided with Srna due to experience. Having Cleverly back and having seen him in training felt he will be first team but needed some back up and went for a youngster Erikson. Felt at 10mil was a great buy and one for the future.

Went in to friendlies and come away with W 6 L 0 GF 31 and GA 2. A good start but the game to watch was C.S with Man City.
Wembley Man City 4 3 2 1, with Srna and Young playing their first starts. We Control the game but no real chance for either team and went into half with 0 0. Second half City came firing and a mistake led to the first goal. 2 min later a perfect counter attack with rooney making it 1 1. 63rd​ min silva cuts inside and sends and unstoppable shot top corner 1-2. Switching to a 4 2 2 2 and bringing in Chico (hernandez) but wsa a little too late and unable to find another goal. A loss but not a bad performance although disappointed to start with a loss.

A chance to get revenge home game man city to kick start the season. Playing a 4 3 2 1 controlled the ball well with slick passing but first half goalless. We were playing well and if we continue like this a goal would come and it did, 57th​ min rooney finishing in style. Man city tried to retaliate but held on for a 1 – 0 won. My first win and hoping many more to come.
Next away game to West Brom 4 2 2 2, with Chico and rooney up front. Started well with rooney finishing a counter attack and then 2 – 0 O.G. due to good pressure from young. Second half west brom scores 53rd​ min our defense split open with a great pass and finish. West brom kept coming and switched to a 4 2 2 1 2 for better attacking. Any chance of a comeback was killed off with chico scoing from 20yards, unlikely but super strike. We ran away after that ending the game 6 -1 with goals from Ferdinand.

Before the international break, a home game to Blackburn. Sticking to the possession football playing a 4 3 2 1. Having a good start 17th​ min freekick and srna sends it to the top corner 1 0. 45th​ min an own goal man utd having it easy. Second half more of the same but having only created one CCC switched to a 4 1 2 1 2 hoping for more goals but games finishes 2 – 0.

With international games next feels like a little break, man do i need it. Found that we are with villareal, lille and victer pizen so should not be too difficult to progress in Europe. Coming away 3 games with 3 wins not bad if I do say so myself, although this is still just the beginning and have the whole season to go. Think i'll sit back and enjoy a glass of wine tonight.

nice story mate...looking forward for next chapters!!!

Chapter 3
First game after the break is an away game to Aston Villa, sticking to the 4 3 2 1 formation started with rooney upfront. A lovely through ball by rooney via a fast break saw Valencia break into the box and a timely finish making it 1 0. Then rooney continuing his impressive form stealing the ball from the half way line beating 3 players to finish, its now 2 0. Ferninad headed in a corner making this a comfortable victory. Was asked why I was sticking to a lone striker by the press with berba and chico on the bench, replied in the big games it’s important to control the games, big teams win the CL which is what I hope to do within 2 years’ time. We lost to barca in the finals as we could not compete in the midfield which is something I’m trying to change. Although I would like to add in home games against weaker teams that tend to put the whole team behind the ball I will play with 2 upfront.

Next was a home game with villareal and felt perfect chance to play a 4 1 2 1 2. It was game of perfect attacking winning 4 0 with goals to both strikers rooney and chico, with goals to nani and fletcher as well.
Then playing sunderland at home went back to the 4 3 2 1, when asked If this constant change in tactic could be counterproductive, I said NO we need to be able to play different tactics depending on the opposition, it seems I was about to eat my words. Having controlled the entire first half but there was no real chance for goals. Second was more the same coming to 65min changed to a 4 2 1 2 1 2 bringing in chico for that elusive goal. At 90th​ min felt the press are going to eat for this but then from a corner rooney bundles the ball in 1 0, me jumping up with joy and rooney running start at me, it felt nice to be part of the team. Told them just hold on and we did, 1 0 and still going strong, 5 wins from 5. The next league would be the big on though, away to arsenal.

Next gillinham in the league cup and stuck to the 4 3 2 1 only because I knew arsenal was next away and was hoping to play this tactic then as well, guess who was in the stands, Mr Wenger. Started chico giving rooney a break and eriksen in midfield pulling strings and chico in his finishing best ended wining 7 0 with chico scoring all of them. Hard to believe he was bought for only 6.5mil, thanking you SAF. Also impressed with ericksen, could be our next big player.

The big game was here, arsenal away and starting with 4 3 2 1. Controlled the ball well, I could see wenger not happy with as with 55% of the possession beating him at his game at his home turf, could this be our day. A throw in and rooney pulling it back carrick and smacked to the top corner 1 0 man utd go wild. Still early to celebrate but I couldn’t stop smiling. It was going to get better when on the break nani playing on rooney who sent a deft chip over the keeper 2 0. Lets take this to half time was what I was hoping but this game was not done. 31st​ min gervincho finds himself space in the box 2 1. They were finding it hard to break us down, we kept them contained them and played control football, there rash tackling suggested we were getting to them. 44th​ min a cross from nani finds rooney in space and 3 1, what a day this is turning out to be. No real chances since and half time 1 3. Told the players to keep going and will find space on the break and take any chance that comes our way. Playing some intelligent football no real further chances created and we were still trying to control the game, which we did, final stats 40 60 possession to us and carrick completing 98% of his passes. When asked if I thought we were playing like barca, not yet I said but we are on our way.