New Computer - Speed Question

Reaction score
I am getting a new computer tomorrow and I was wondering if I will FINALLY have a good speed. I am hoping that it will play at 5 stars on a large database with quite a few leagues being played.

Its specs are

Intel Core i3 530 2.93 GHZ Processor

6 gb of ram 4 mb l2 cache

1 tb hardrive capacity

ATI HD5450 Graphics Card

512 mb Video Memory

I am thinking it will probably run at 5 stars with quite a few on but I am not really smart with the whole specs stuff so if anyone can tell me if I will get 5 stars on the games speed thing then please do.

mines a super quick laptop, not long purchased it and it only gets 3 stars :(

i think you will probably get good speed with abt 50 leagues loaded. i dont really understand the star thing

You're purchasing that rig purely for Football Manager? Overkill.

i have an AMD 64 Dual Core 4.8 ghz (overclocked, very very quick)
2 gb Transcend Corsair RAM, DDR3 (cant remember the speed)
Gigabyte GA Motherboard (its a beast)
Gigabyte 8800 GTX Ultra 786mb DDR3
about 800gb in HD space (over 3 HD)
550W power supply

it is very quick, (just bought Metro 2033 and running everything on its highest, expect AA (its on 8xq not 16x) just slows down when lots of monsters! it is perfect, never seen a more beautiful game, on Fm, i dont think i get more than 2 or 3 stars with about 9-12 leagues loaded and like 22-24 competitons etc loaded with large database, its very strange, i dont really care about that too much! your pc will be fine, i can assure you ;)

no im not purchasing it solely for FM my laptop died, and I decided I might as well get a computer that can run the game well since thats the thing I really do the most on my computer

Personally I don't feel the star system is that great. Mine was never top of the range and was bought almost 2 years ago but gets 3 stars with the biggest leagues in the world active. Even though it only has 3 star it still loads more than fast enough. I tab out and go on the internet while it loads even though it barely takes anytime. I even forget about it sometimes :$

That rig should run FM with no problem. But if you plan on playing other games, I'd maybe look into getting a video card with at least 1 GB memory.

But like the others said, if the only game you play is FM, it's a bit overkill lol.

My game runs fast i have 4 leagues loaded i only get 1 star as i use my work pc and i never ever have problems its weird

following on from thetrend77's comment, that graphics card is quite poor. Not because it is only 512mb (that's fine as long as you're not planning on playing at a high resolution). It's because it's fairly low down in the 5000 series. You would be better getting something high in the 4000 series (I have a 4850 and it's been great) or something like a 5770. Ultimately it depends on what games you want to play as well as FM10. As others have said, if that rig is just for FM it's a bit overkill :p

The star things are a bit inconsistent. I think it largely depends on what programmes your computer is running when starting a new game.

The other day I started a new game and it had a four-star performance/speed level. Then realised I needed to change something in the database - did that, then started a new game with the exact same specs, and it only had a half-star performance/speed rating.

So I reckon it's based largely on your computer's performance at the exact point when creating a new game.

Thanks for the info guys, I am not really planning on playing too many other games, maybe just one or two, I am not a huge PC gamer, but I thought why not get something that can at least play moderate games if I ever feel like playing them. My laptop was never ever more than half a star performance and speed and would take upwards of 3 - 5 hours just to get through a full Premier League season (only up to League 2 loaded and no other countries) so I am expecting better now haha.

If I was to get a different video card then I would have to get a different power supply.... I have no idea what that means but that is what the guy at the store told me. Anyone know what that means? / any recomendations on good video cards that will do a job on a high end graphics demanding game?

would be useful if you posted what Power supply you have and a link ;)

wow 300W, that has to be minimum for that pc to run since it's an i3 and has 6GB RAM. I'm afraid I highly doubt you will be able to upgrade your graphics card. If you do it may short out the power supply and kill the rest of the computer. That's the problem with pre-built computers, they don't allow you to upgrade because the power supplies they use are usually the minimum they can get away with. That's why you should build your own (like me) or get a friend to do it ;)

I wouldn't worry too much about the speed of the game. Since its a 32bit program it will only be able to use a little less than 4GB of ram anyway. Also since its not really designed to run on newer processors, it'll never be able to use a newer ones full capacity (efficiently anyway...)

For example I have 12gb of ram, but when FM gets to about 3.5gb, it crashes. And even when I'm simming weeks at a time it never uses more than 20% of my cpu (and thats with a large database, 152000 players, and 78000 non players loaded)

So basically ignore the stars, and just go with the speed that feels right when you're picking leagues.