New FIFA Rankings Released

Yup it is now the era of New Zealand now that Aus have gone :D

I suppose you've been waiting for an australian opinion on this....here it is. Yes we believe we will have a better chance of making the world cup finals through Asia, even though it was very important to have qualified to the WC through the Oceania-S-America5th playoff BEFORE we moved to Asia. The main reason behind our move to Asia was for us to be able to play against better quality teams more regularly rather than continuously beat the small island nations by 20 goals. As you can imagine those sort of games aren't much good for development of our national team. Hence the same reason why we half base ourselves in Europe for Home games. It's not just international games, The A-league and all of Australian lower league clubs are also part of the Asian confederation and will subsequently be able to compete on a larger level against a larger array of clubs. On a many level it will be excellent for Aussie football, on the other hand, it will not be a walk in the park like it has been in Oceania. If we can beat Japan, Korea, S-Arabia and Iran then our chances of making the WC from now on are very good.

Sounds like great news for Aussie football. I knew that they were joining Asia for International qualifiers and tournaments etc, but I didn't know that it was happening at club level too.

The problem with being in Asia is now that some of our youth teams (i.e the joeys) may struggle to qualify for tournaments. Thus it emphasises the need for the Australian youth system to be improved.