New ME: RIP Possession tactics, and other tactics maybe

I'd agree that every ME patch brings up new flaws in the game, whilst fixing others. It also changes slightly how tactics work. A few weeks ago, before the patch, I'd played Barca twice, and I'd used my tactic which counters there style of play as best as I can. I won easily 4-0 and 7-2. Unfortunatly, I then had to restore my computer to before I played these, and whilst I was away this patch came out.

Now I have played the games again using the same tactic, the tactic is now completely useless, which is annoying. (Starting to sound like a rant now, but bare with me).

Whilst I, and it seems, alot of people, find the frequent patches annoying as every time I have to create completely new tactics. But if they didn't make all these patches, people would still get annoyed and claim that SI aren't pulling their weight. Therefore I think we have to just get on with it for now, hopefully in next year's game, most of the bugs will have been fixed and we will be able to get more consistency :)

I'd agree that every ME patch brings up new flaws in the game, whilst fixing others. It also changes slightly how tactics work. A few weeks ago, before the patch, I'd played Barca twice, and I'd used my tactic which counters there style of play as best as I can. I won easily 4-0 and 7-2. Unfortunatly, I then had to restore my computer to before I played these, and whilst I was away this patch came out.

Now I have played the games again using the same tactic, the tactic is now completely useless, which is annoying. (Starting to sound like a rant now, but bare with me).

Whilst I, and it seems, alot of people, find the frequent patches annoying as every time I have to create completely new tactics. But if they didn't make all these patches, people would still get annoyed and claim that SI aren't pulling their weight. Therefore I think we have to just get on with it for now, hopefully in next year's game, most of the bugs will have been fixed and we will be able to get more consistency :)

i think the new patches keep you on your toes, instead of making a tactic n dominating every game, each patch makes u rethink about the game and makes u evolve your tactic each time, making u more creative at the same time

I don't find you need to change your tactic in every patch, if you build a balanced logical tactic then it should always work.

i think the new patches keep you on your toes, instead of making a tactic n dominating every game, each patch makes u rethink about the game and makes u evolve your tactic each time, making u more creative at the same time

i dont agree. its football there should be more than way you can play the game or more than just few ways, a patch shouldn't mess up your tactic, short passing width temp , shoting or not shooting from distance all the time etc.... what you saying basically is you have to adabt your tactic to the patch and not to how you think your team needs to play or would play in real life...

i dont agree. its football there should be more than way you can play the game or more than just few ways, a patch shouldn't mess up your tactic, short passing width temp , shoting or not shooting from distance all the time etc.... what you saying basically is you have to adabt your tactic to the patch and not to how you think your team needs to play or would play in real life...

A patch fixes flaws in the ME, providing you aren't exploiting anything you wont have many issues. Last patch was different as it fixed some notable flaws from the 13.2.2 version, resulting in a very different feel.

Whether a patch breaks a tactic is neither here nor there in truth, the aim of an update is purely to deal with existing flaws and improve the logic of the game.

A patch fixes flaws in the ME, providing you aren't exploiting anything you wont have many issues. Last patch was different as it fixed some notable flaws from the 13.2.2 version, resulting in a very different feel.

Whether a patch breaks a tactic is neither here nor there in truth, the aim of an update is purely to deal with existing flaws and improve the logic of the game.

i know how the patch works but thanks for clearing that out, i was disagreeing with StueyRob in that the a new patch shouldnt make you re-think or need to change your tactic or stop it from working, so basically what you put on there!!

i know how the patch works but thanks for clearing that out, i was disagreeing with StueyRob in that the a new patch shouldnt make you re-think or need to change your tactic or stop it from working, so basically what you put on there!!

It wouldn't make you re-think generally, but considering there was such a change from the last patch, i can see why many would have had to re jig ( that's what happens when you get a "bad" patch released) so i see what he means in relation to 13.2.1. For example I would not expect anyone to need to make severe changes for FM14, unless their approach was fundamentally unbalanced.

Last edited:
Im using my new Barca style 4-6-0 and still get huge amounts of possession and pass completion. If you want to create tactics with high possession you don't necessarily need the best players but obviously you still need players who can pass, Surely that's much more realistic though.

View attachment 314414 View attachment 314416View attachment 314417View attachment 314418View attachment 314419View attachment 314420
Any tips? maybe give us a link to test your tactic?

Any tips? maybe give us a link to test your tactic?

High possession is all about passing simple and keeping risks to a minimum. Crosses, through balls, running with the ball and long shots are all risks where possession can easily be lost. You have to find the correct balance.

High possession is all about passing simple and keeping risks to a minimum. Crosses, through balls, running with the ball and long shots are all risks where possession can easily be lost. You have to find the correct balance.

A lot of people become obsessed with possession and forget that its merely a means to an end