New Planet ftw

Reaction score
An Earth-like planet that could be covered in oceans and may support life has been discovered outside the Solar System.

The new world, which is 20.5 light years away, orbits a region with the right temperature to allow liquid water on its surface.

Scientists believe it is only 1.5 times larger and five times more massive than Earth, making it the smallest extra-solar planet known. But the exciting discovery is that the planet inhabits the habitable zone of its parent star, Gliese 581.

Also known as the "Goldilocks zone", this is the narrow orbit in which temperatures are not too hot, not too cold, but just right for surface water to exist as a liquid.- aol news

Meh just thought I'd post for those interested enough

I will move there if i can get away from you :p just kidding one of these things i look at and just go 'cool' then forget all about it.

Thanks for this, It was an interesting read.

Before you book your extrastellar flight to 581 c, a few caveats about how alien that world probably is: Anyone sitting on the planet would get heavier quickly, and birthdays would add up fast since it orbits its star every 13 days.

Gravity is 1.6 times as strong as Earth's so a 150-pound person would feel like 240 pounds.

But oh, the view. The planet is 14 times closer to the star it orbits. Udry figures the red dwarf star would hang in the sky at a size 20 times larger than our moon. And it's likely, but still not known, that the planet doesn't rotate, so one side would always be sunlit and the other dark.

Direct link to article here.

hhmmmm very interesting, the problem is we wil never go to it in our lifetimes

Wow, thats pretty cool, Shaun's just a noob, good find Ad. I think its actually quite fascinating that there could be life in another solar system somewhere...:spock: :detective

haha..it just doesnt interest me at all! all aload of **** if u ask me like all that about global warming

Good find hmm no not really seeing as it's been on news.

haha..it just doesnt interest me at all! all aload of **** if u ask me like all that about global warming

that's because you're obviously not using your brain ;) would you like to be dead in 20 years? if everyone ignored global warming we probably would be.

the world environment evolves, mayb global warming is part of this, and we shud just let it happen, and let world adapt

No such thing as Global Warming. It's a conspiracy. Just because Al Gore made a film about it, doesn't mean it's true.

coming from the guy whos fav band has members called Justin Sane etc

Proving what exactly, Gregor? I suppose changing your name for fun isn't the hip thing nowadays? Go do what kermode tells you to do.

whose Kermode???

Why does everyone think global warming will be bad for the planet, it may do it some good.... we just dnt knw.