New Tactic Testing Now Live!

• Thread starter Dec
  • Start date
  • Replies 44
  • Views 56K
D

Dec

Hi FM-Base,
We're very pleased to announce that we have a new and improved Tactic Testing now live! The eagle-eyed amongst you may have noticed this a few days ago but we're now happy to officially announce this to the public.

How is Tactic Testing done?
We test each tactic over a 90 game season (11 months in total) with 5 teams of varying levels of both ability and reputation. Each team is in a self-contained league that mimics real-life (majority the same level, but some are in the level above or below). This means that our test teams should be around mid-table level.

To make the test balanced transfers, internationals, injuries and fatigue are turned off for all teams.

What are the levels and how are they calculated?
Levels of teams are based on club reputation. The levels are as follows:

1. Elite - Barcelona, Arsenal
  2. Top - Borussia Dortmund, FC Krasnodar
  3. Good - CEC, Rangers
  4. Average - Malmo FF, Newcastle United Jets
  5. Lower - Al-Rayyan Sports Club, Southport

We worked out the average reputation of each of the levels, combined with taking a set of 5 clubs (2 top reputation, 2 lowest reputation and 1 in the middle) to find out the Top and Bottom CA for players, as well as the Median.

Has the formula changed from the last version?
Yes, each formula is specific to the club level and based on the initial results that we have seen from the tactics.

Which data are we tracking?
We will be tracking the following for each level:

• Games Played
  • Win
  • Draws
  • Losses
  • Goals Scored
  • Goals Against
  • Home Games Played
  • Home Win %
  • Away Games Played
  • Away Win %
  • Average Possession
  • Pass Completion
  • Shots
  • Fouls

This means we can display the following:
  • Win %
  • Draw %
  • Loss %
  • Points per Game
  • Home Win %
  • Away Win %
  • Goals Scored per Game
  • Goals Conceded per Game
  • Shots per Game
  • Average Possession
  • Pass Completion
  • Fouls per Game

Why is this better?
This is not just offering more data than any other test, we are factoring in more that can impact a tactic’s success. We’ve done research based on clubs in the game to make sure that our test database reflects in-game as accurately as possible while removing variables that can lead to inconsistencies. While some tests use just ability and some use just reputation we have combined them to offer the most realistic test we possibly can.

Our overall score is weighted to ensure balance too, we’ve noticed other scores can give an advantage to the better team test, however by making it about Points per Game we eliminate this in order to deliver an equal score based on all levels that were tested.

When will it be updated?
We will be updating tactic testing every 3-4 days. This is to ensure quality control and every update comes with a significant amount of new tactics that have been tested.

As always we'd love your feedback and appreciate your passion for our work.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just to clarify: When starting a game with relegation candidates in any league, which of those categories should one pick a tactic from? Good? Or lower?

It depends on the team. A relegation candidate in the Premier League is vastly different to a relegation candidate in League Two. We recommend you use Elite for the top teams in the world, Top for the other major European teams and scale down depending on the level of the club. Though I’d say the maximum for a relegation candidate would be Good in the Premier League.

Each league has been built to mimic the top nations in the world, while still factoring in the fact that Malmo will be top of their league but nowhere near European elite status. The real life football world is sadly too complex to provide a scenario that will fit every team into it as we’d be testing 100s of permutations per tactic. However I’m confident that with this you will get a realistic gauge for a club based on their level.

Last edited by a moderator:
Come on guys. Only few tactics have reached "18". No one "19" or "20" so far. Try harder. :)

All First Tactics Doesn't Work for me...

4Lv8iyv.jpg

There is no way, Tranmere will be at PL in year 2022. Unless you are cheating.

Unfortunately no buddy, I was promoted 2x from second place, the stairs start in the Premier League, that's why it probably looks like that.

Unfortunately no buddy, I was promoted 2x from second place, the stairs start in the Premier League, that's why it probably looks like that.

So, why to change your main tactic? You are a huge underdog, that's why top tactics don't work well. 442 is risky.

A tactic alone will not guarantee nothing. You need to figure out what you are doing wrong.

will this be updated? and can there be a seperate part for the current ME? as there are some 20.3 tactics in the list

will this be updated? and can there be a seperate part for the current ME? as there are some 20.3 tactics in the list

Hello,

Have patience.

Some people have family and kids trying to take care on this difficult times.

Thank you!

why has it been changed from subtop/submid ?

why is Arsenal regarded as Elite ? why not use Liverpool as it makes sense , i have to say trying to work out a teams reputation to try and use a tactic from the right section is a bit overcomplicated

i think it would be more useful to set Elite as all 5 star rep teams and go down like that , rather than use obscure teams as an example

dont get me wrong i admire the hard work , i'm just wondering why its a bit more complicated to find the right tactic

why has it been changed from subtop/submid ?

why is Arsenal regarded as Elite ? why not use Liverpool as it makes sense , i have to say trying to work out a teams reputation to try and use a tactic from the right section is a bit overcomplicated

i think it would be more useful to set Elite as all 5 star rep teams and go down like that , rather than use obscure teams as an example

dont get me wrong i admire the hard work , i'm just wondering why its a bit more complicated to find the right tactic

Liverpool is in elite. Like the stars, it is based upon reputation and is designed in a way that matches what we believe is the best way to cover every team in the game. The previous system didn’t do this so we had to rip up the rule book and use those learnings to make a new system.

Thanks for all your work. I'm studying your Tactic Testing statistics every day trying to decide which formation to choose, switch to, and so on. Love it.

I am struggling with many of the top tactics as well, tho. Too many counters against. I have noticed that basically all the top tactics have mentality set to "attacking". Could this be changed to avoid counters against, or will it screw up the tactics?

Is it possible to test a new tactic from Knap? https://fm-base.co.uk/resources/fm20-4-1-kashmir-vol-2-433-p107-ec.707/

Hi FM-Base,
We're very pleased to announce that we have a new and improved Tactic Testing now live! The eagle-eyed amongst you may have noticed this a few days ago but we're now happy to officially announce this to the public.

How is Tactic Testing done?
We test each tactic over a 90 game season (11 months in total) with 5 teams of varying levels of both ability and reputation. Each team is in a self-contained league that mimics real-life (majority the same level, but some are in the level above or below). This means that our test teams should be around mid-table level.

To make the test balanced transfers, internationals, injuries and fatigue are turned off for all teams.

What are the levels and how are they calculated?
Levels of teams are based on club reputation. The levels are as follows:

1. Elite - Barcelona, Arsenal
  2. Top - Borussia Dortmund, FC Krasnodar
  3. Good - CEC, Rangers
  4. Average - Malmo FF, Newcastle United Jets
  5. Lower - Al-Rayyan Sports Club, Southport

We worked out the average reputation of each of the levels, combined with taking a set of 5 clubs (2 top reputation, 2 lowest reputation and 1 in the middle) to find out the Top and Bottom CA for players, as well as the Median.

Has the formula changed from the last version?
Yes, each formula is specific to the club level and based on the initial results that we have seen from the tactics.

Which data are we tracking?
We will be tracking the following for each level:

• Games Played
  • Win
  • Draws
  • Losses
  • Goals Scored
  • Goals Against
  • Home Games Played
  • Home Win %
  • Away Games Played
  • Away Win %
  • Average Possession
  • Pass Completion
  • Shots
  • Fouls

This means we can display the following:
  • Win %
  • Draw %
  • Loss %
  • Points per Game
  • Home Win %
  • Away Win %
  • Goals Scored per Game
  • Goals Conceded per Game
  • Shots per Game
  • Average Possession
  • Pass Completion
  • Fouls per Game

Why is this better?
This is not just offering more data than any other test, we are factoring in more that can impact a tactic’s success. We’ve done research based on clubs in the game to make sure that our test database reflects in-game as accurately as possible while removing variables that can lead to inconsistencies. While some tests use just ability and some use just reputation we have combined them to offer the most realistic test we possibly can.

Our overall score is weighted to ensure balance too, we’ve noticed other scores can give an advantage to the better team test, however by making it about Points per Game we eliminate this in order to deliver an equal score based on all levels that were tested.

When will it be updated?
We will be updating tactic testing every 3-4 days. This is to ensure quality control and every update comes with a significant amount of new tactics that have been tested.

As always we'd love your feedback and appreciate your passion for our work.

Thank you for the great work.

One question:
How frequent do you update the scores? It seems the same for the last few weeks.

I'm trying way up your method... Wouldn't using media prediction give a clearer idea to where your level is in that division? Marseille for instance are predicted 4th, how do assess what level tactic I should use? The average player ability around 140, could I use a 'top' tactic in this league, would I have to switch to a 'good' tactic when playing stronger teams like Lyon or Monaco, or would I have to switch to a 'poor' tactic if I was facing the likes of someone like PSG orLiverpool? I'd love a traffic light system to somehow be devised to clearly suggest the level of tactic best suited against the level of opponent.