New Talent Award

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sean

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Alan Hansen once famously announced that "you don't win anything with kids" - eight months or so before Manchester United's young stars disproved that theory in spectacular fashion by claiming the Premiership title.

And although some managers desperate for short-term success still regularly splash out millions of pounds on unproven foreign talent, more and more of the game's top bosses are inclined to give youth its chance - an approach we at Carling fully support.

We believe a successful team is built on young talent that's come through the ranks and that's why we have introduced the Carling Cup New Talent award, an award recognising those players who have made their breakthrough in the competition this season.

We have short-listed six players who have made a big impact in the Carling Cup this season and they are sure to be names to look out for in the future. Now we want your help to choose the second ever winner of the Carling Cup New Talent award.

Last year's award was won by Jay Demerit of Watford who put in a number of impressive performances at the back for the Hornets in the Carling Cup.

This season's candidates have been selected by the Football Writers Association who have chosen 6 players that they believe have been the most
impressive new faces to break through in this season's competition.

The nominations are:

Steven Davis - Midfielder - Aston Villa - 01/01/1985, Northern Ireland

Stephen was member of the 2002 FA Youth Cup winning team and last season made a break-through into the Vila first team. He made a total of 20 starts. He also won his first full Northern Ireland Cap.

This season he has made 14 appearances in the League, scoring three goals as well as two goals from two appearances in the Carling Cup. Steven Davis will definitely be a player to watch over the coming years.

Charles N'Zogbia - Midfielder - Newcastle Utd - 28/05/1986, France

Charles signed for United in September 2004 from French side Le Havre. He didn't play any senior games for them but was a French youth international.

He is rated as one of the brightest prospects in France and played in the last six games of 04/05 season for Newcastle. This season he has played 11 games in all competitions scoring two goals in the process.

Arturo Lupoli - Striker - Arsenal - Born 26/06/1987, Italy

Arturo joined Arsenal from Parma in June 2004. Arturo was the Club's most prolific player in 2004/05 season, marking his first season at Arsenal with a remarkable tally of 27 goals in 32 games in all competitions.

Nineteen of those came in Reserve League South as Arturo finished as the country's top scorer at that level. The Italian striker showcased his clinical finishing with two goals against Everton in the Carling Cup.

He is tipped to push on this season and make his mark in the first team.

Giuseppe Rossi - Striker - Manchester Utd - Born - 01/02/1987, USA

Giuseppe Rossi joined United's Academy from Italian Serie A outfit Parma in July 2004. He made his first-team debut in the Carling Cup fourth round win over Crystal Palace on 10 November 2004 - just two weeks after signing professional forms with the club.

He scored a range of spectacular goals for the reserves last season and big things are expected of him in 2006.

Jerome Thomas - Midfielder - Charlton - Born - 23/03/1983, England

Emerging as part of a crop of highly rated double FA Youth Cup winning youngsters from the Arsenal academy in 2001 and 2002, Thomas nevertheless struggled to make an impact for Arsene Wenger's team.

He signed for Charlton in February 2004 and played mainly reserve team football until his big chance - Round Three of the Carling Cup when Charlton played Crystal Palace (October 2004).

Since then Thomas has pushed on and become a regular part of the first-team set-up. He will be hoping to catch the eye this term and try and earn England recognition of some sort.

Ben Watson - Midfielder - Crystal Palace - Born - 09/07/1985, England

Ben has been on the fringes of the Palace first team for a few years but last season was by his own admission 'his best'. His form earned him an England U21 call-up and he will be looking to gain more recognition over the coming season.

He has started 18 games so far this term including one Carling Cup appearance in the second round.

VOTE HERE

I take it this is just the Carling cup?

If so then I go for Rossi, hes looked very impressive so far.

EDIT : jus clicked on the link, it is jsut Carling. I take it Cry P fans have sabotaged the vote as Ben Watson has 90% of the votes.

I think it should be Rossi to win but hes not going to because of the Ben watson dude :mad:

The only reason he had 90+% was because it was on the CP homepage as 'Breaking News' :D

Lupoli pips Rossi to prize

He is a good player but I thought that maybe Rossi's brilliant performance against Burton would maybe win it for him. But obviously the public disagreed :(

I can honestly say I had no idea Lupoli even played for Arsenal. I thought he was still a Parma player. So he can't of been that good for them for me not to know about him.

Charles N'Zogbia has been amazing for Newcastle aswell :(

How the **** did Rossi get beat by Lupoli? Rossi has been amazin in his Carling cup games. Maybe Arsenal fans realised that him winning the award is the closest they will get to silverware so voted in record numbers...

If it's the overall season then Davis by a mile...but in the carling cup it has to be Rossi

Yeh if it was overall I would go for Davis or N'Zogbia. But in CC I would have said Rossi.

ajw said:
Maybe Arsenal fans realised that him winning the award is the closest they will get to silverware so voted in record numbers...

lol...they are in the CL you have the Carling Cup... and neither of you are going to win the league. :D

ajw said:
I promise they wont win the CL :D

I think your right there, especially with Senderos a starter for them.

Rossi should have won he played better in the Carling Cup than Lupoli, Didnt even hear anything of Lupoli during the cup.

Rossi got screwed, Lupoli hasnt exactly impressed me from what ive seen from him :(

Only just noticed this thread, too late now but I would have voted Steven Davis - man u were rumoured 2 b offerin 10mil for him this pre-season gone.

Shame he don't get more games for us.

juse seen this thread too...would of voted for rossi or n'zogbia

Status
Not open for further replies.