New to FM11 (sort of) I need some tips

birdman16

Reaction score
(Sorry, can this be moved to general, wrong forum)

So I picked up FM10 Last year and gave up on playing it after a week, due to confusion and complexity of the game

Anyway, a year later I decided to get FM11

I sucked it up and played through it and did my best to learn as much as I can.

I feel like a game with this much interaction/realism/ and pretty much being a really awseome manager game, it's worth trying to learn it.

Okay, so I started my first serious game with Catania(Seria A) and I read up on some strategies not to try and sign too many players at a time. Okay.. and I opened up all my games so far with shorter tempo and short passes and finishing off with high and more direct.

I also aimed to higher the more skilled players.. (my ***. manager advised me to scout out "Victor" playing on Spain, he cost me 7mil and is currently my top scorer, (he has virtually no weaknesses)

anyway, right now I'm playing a friendly against Paterno (I'm going to assume they are a low class team because I just scored 9 goals in the first half) also, the season didnt start yet im still playing friendlies. It also looks like my strikers seem to be able to coordinate attacks with eachother.

Anyway, to cut to the chase, I need some tips.

- I've nicknamed players to keep track of prospects, specifc strengths, ect
- Should I rest players after they finish a match?
- Should I always try to get players playing? regardless of stats?
- What kind of signings should I aim for?
- what kind of tactics should I use against stronger teams?
- Also, how useful is "creative freedom" some times?
- how can I deal with having weak defenders? Should I specify them to mark specifc players? because they always seem to be getting passed and the opposition scores

PS I'm someone who isnt a big football fan but really enjoy the game. I don't really know players but I have learned a bit more from this game.

Last edited:
- I usually rest players when they are not match fit before a game. If their condition is lower than 90% they won't last the whole game and you're better off using them as subs or resting them so they're fit for the next. 95% and above is ideal IMO.

- Young players will develop much better if they get some playing time, just don't overdo it - keep some experienced and good players in as well. If you start playing with a team you're unfamiliar with this is a pretty hard part, although with experience you'll learn to discern the good from the great by judging their stats. If you're beginning a new game, simply play everyone for some time (friendlies are great for this) and see who performs bad. If someone has a period of bad form, put them on the bench - no matter who they are.

- Your signings will depend on your squad, obviously. Look at your team and see where your weakness lies - the assistant team report is a very good tool for this. If you have a good starting XI, see if you have enough depth. There's no use having the world's greatest striker but no backup - injuries are frequent in FM, and you need decent players to step in. If you have quality and depth, then invest in promising youth players. Or do both: buy young players around 19-20 who aren't good enough yet, but useful as subs and reserves. By giving them playing time they'll improve, get to know the team and tactics and will eventually be ready to step in when your first choice is sold or injured.

- Against stronger teams it's often - but not always - a better idea to play more cautiously. Try playing on the counter: use a deep defensive line, slower tempo and more direct passing. Or you might try to keep possession to prevent them from creating much. Again, you'll have to experiment a little, read up on some of the tactics on this forum and see what suits you and your players best. And most of all - don't expect too much from it. Be prepared to lose to bigger teams, it's the way football works. Learn from your mistakes, watch the match engine and check the match analysis to see where you conceded or why you were unable to score, adjust your tactic, rinse and repeat.

- Creative freedom is more or less the amount of freedom you give your players. High creative freedom means they're allowed to do stuff that is not in your game plan, and sometimes this can create unexpected and great goals. Give this to a player with low creativity and decision-making and you have a disaster waiting to happen. In short, if you're not managing a top team, use creativity sparingly - give your best offensive players some, but don't overdo it.

- Building a good defense is arguably one of the harder parts of the game. Check if your defenders are the issue - low defensive stats - or if they're simply being overwhelmed, dragged out of position... If you're leaking goals, consider changing your tactic. Perhaps your fullbacks are too high up the pitch and you're getting hit on the counter, perhaps your opponent controls the midfield and is free to play through balls, perhaps you're being overrun on the wings... You'll have to be more specific on this part.