New to the game and struggling...

Westhamfan1

Reaction score
Just to get some perspective, played Champ Man ever since it game out, loved it. Played FM 2005 and didnt really like it, so stopped after a while.
Decided to get this version of FM because people have told me it may have passed CM.

Ive had it for around 2 weeks now and I have been a bit sketchy in terms of results. Cant get to grips with getting a tactic that works in the premier league with west ham. Both times I have tried playing with them, I have ended up in relegation battles.

Just wondering if theres any tips you can give that might help me, thanks.

try the tactics section on the right of this page (FM 2009 Downloads). theres some really good ones in there.

yh look around the forum i reccomend lee's tactic

Opposition instructions

Best way to get results is to download the ttf formations. Pick one of them (I use 442 standard). Tweak the bars on the team instructions every time you play. Your scout should give you a decent heads up on what to expect.
I find the thing that makes a real difference is how you use the opposition instructions. I always make sure that the opposition strikers get tight marking, closed down, hard tackled and shown on to their weaker foot (wingers as well). Any midfield players (Amc, mc, DMc, mr, ml, aml, AMr) get closed down, hard tackle, and weaker foot. This tends to keep the goal count down. The so spots this and subs players, moves players around, changes the formation. So check every ten mins, and straight after any subs have been made. My tactics include zonal marking which seems to work for me. Took Bradford from cc2 to the premiership!
It's not foolproof.....but ur points per match will increase. I went on 16 match unbeaten run.

Last edited:
never give up is the key to play this game and try to read all the thread about tactic. at the end, it's more fun to play this game if u can create ur own tactic. at the beginning i play this game, i also got frustrated cause always lose. but after read some threads in this forum and i try to create my own tactics, finally my team can win cup and win league. good luck bro.

Thanks for the advice guys, I ended up experimenting with my own tactics and switching between mine and Lee's tactics and got southend promoted to the premiership :) in 2018 and going strong, thanks guys!