[Newbie] - Pompey 2nd Season Championship [HELP]

JDon90

Reaction score
Hi guys,

It's my second season and I am playing with a newly promoted Portsmouth team in the championship (won the playoffs!). I am hoping to achieve a mid-table finish but after a few games into the new season I realise that I need some help.

So, here are some of my questions:

1. When I use opposition instructions, I often only close down wingers, mark/close down strikers, and deal with any other players that might cause trouble (usually just weak-footing them, or setting tackling depending on stats). I feel I have got the hang of the opp-instructions quite well, but I also feel that I am doing the same thing for each team...closing annoying wingers/fbs, showing left footed wingers onto their left foot, marking lone strikers etc - Am I going about this in the right way? Also, how do I deal with two strikers without setting them both to 'close down' and 'mark' (i.e a big man and a small man?) - because this often causes my own team problems!!

2. As I am newly promoted, most of the opposition players have better stats than my own players, and higher stats overall, making it harder to pick out weaknesses (they seem to have everything...). How do I go about setting opposition instructions when this is the case? What is classed as a low stat? a high stat?

3. I play a 4-3-1-2 formation, with 3 centrals midfielders. Someone PLEASE give me some advice for dealing with opposition formations that use wide tactics/wingers...I feel that if I close them down, it leaves me open, but if I do not close them down then they get crosses in too easily. I have been luck a few times with my shouts, but I really just put that down to luck.

4. I have 3 tactics set but in my 1st season I used only one (4-3-1-2). Sometimes I would swap my AM to a DM or change thing's around slightly depending on the opposition but the actual tactic/formation would stay the same. Is it worth changing my tactic to something completely different each season, or can I get away with keeping the same one? (ignoring individual instructions) for a few seasons (i don't have the funds or the players to change it too drastically anyway, but hypothetically speaking if I did have the funds/players??)

5. Must the 3 set-tactics be COMPLETELY different from eachother... or would it be sensible to have 3 different variations of the 4-3-1-2 (I.E 4-3-1-2, 4-1-3-2, 4-1-2-2-1)...or must each tactic be the same formation, but with different settings?

Lastly, here are some screenshots to help with answering my questions. I don't fiddle with individual player instructions because I am not sure how drastic the changes are...but if anyone can help improve my tactic to deal with wider teams/wingers or just to give some advice in general for finishing mid-table this season then I would be really grateful!

Note: The screenshot with Sidibe and Harris upfront was my starting line-up for the win against Watford. I don't know if this has any significance but I thought I would upload it just incase....also there are screenshots of team morale after the win (obviously it was low, maybe pre-season losses were the reason for my poor form?), some random stats and my squad list.