Mindcracker

Reaction score
Hello all,

I have been playing Fifa series for to long now and wanted to do more then just play the game and buy the best players. I've been looking around on the internet and found out Football Manager would please me. When I was installing the game it seemed promising but when the game started way to difficult. Al tough I started the game and followed some help tips that popped up. And after 10 games I had a win percentage of 0%. (Not to speak about my goaldifference).

I went to the internet again to search for walktroughs, tips, tricks, tactics but couldnt find any usefull for me. I tried 2 walktroughs, they did help me since my goaldifference is much lower these days but still lost 99% of my games so far. Is there any newbie / started guide that I should follow? Do you have tips to get started with the game?

My team was/is Farsley (I like to start with low-promising teams) also tried Feyenoord (since im Dutch) but still nothing changed it. I tried 2 tactics from the walktroughs wich where: 4-4-2 and 5-3-2. And the most important rule i read in there was: 'Dont sqeeze the players in a formation, create one from the players'. (Didn't help me a lot though :()

I hate to not be much help but its a lot of trial and error - which is half the fun. there is a lot of useful information on this website so have a look through that - gives info on good players etc to buy.

Thank you for the fast reaction, I will give you an update soon whether it helped me or not.. Thanks!

this website has a lot of help on it

---------- Post added at 10:04 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:49 PM ----------

thanks that was a help to me aswel

Hmm I've read quite most of the beginning. But still its hard to understand if you don't know the basics. There are 4 categories of explanations:
Me - Easy - Medium - Hard (maybe Pro) but this sheet seems to be between easy and medium. Im really searching for more basic tutorial wise help.

If there is anything you want explained a bit better using better in-game examples Private Message me.

Thanks to Redstag I understand the game already a bit better. I though have a question that I want different people to answer on. What is your favorite tactic and how do you determine what tactic is the best for your team?

Despite Redstag efforts I'm still losing a lot, less but a lot. I was wondering what I did wrong and I will find it out XD

Glad to have helped Mindcracker. Game experience will help you a lot. If you have more question keep the PMessages coming. Any other newbies more than happy to help.

Does anyone have a link or the information for me what player attributes are needed for a certain space? For example I read somewhere that your Defenders need Jumping and Tackling high and Strikers Finishing and One Touch..

Biggest help you need is as soon as you start get an assistant and scout with high "Judging Player Ability" and "Judging Player Potential" (altho season 1 potential not as important). If your assistants can spot good players it takes a lot of the heat off you to detail through the stats.

Dont be afraid to get rid of players (I found this the hardest thing for me was releasing some of the bad players but freeing up wages is key at lower clubs).

If you download the tactical frameworks (which i think were linked above), theres an excel file which you put in your preferred method of play (to a point) and it gives suggested numbers for each player (the number is how many times you click across from left to right). Its not perfect but when I used it initially it gave me a fairly nice balance to my side, we didnt win every game but we won a fair amount, from that start you can tweak your mentality (Im boring so like a middle mentality).

Once these basics are in you look at the key attributes linked above and find where your team is weak (i was weak in centre midfield) and search for players using those attributes.

Stick with the same tactics all through preseason regardless and keep players in the same positions, you do find that the team gets better as you maintain consistency.

If you are starting with a low league team look at a centre midfielder called Zlatko Yankov, hes old but good for a season or two.

Hope that was helpful

After playing every single series of this game since it began, I found the tactics on this version to be as far off the mark as they possibly can be.

What seems to be more important is mastering how the a.i works within the game engine and exploiting it, rather than mastering your own tactic to perfection. I also find the labelling of certain actions to be ridiculously misleading.

One ridiculous example is I was getting 65% possession in games and often 20 odd shots on goal. I would maybe score 1 or max 2, and often would find myself drawing or getting beat because of it. Turns out I would HAVE to play direct passing. Don't know about anyone else, but I know of a few teams who play short passing constantly and still score created chances.

It is this "you have to play it this way" factor that frustrates me throughout, and if I were you i'd wait to see if FM 2010 has booked its ideas up and changed it from being about what you have to do in order to beat the game engine and fixed it to what players would be able to work within your set formation. Fernando Torres should not miss 8 or so one-on-ones in every game