Newcastle 6-0 Aston Villa: Carroll the main man as Newcastle run riot

• Thread starter Thread starter Mike.
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 25
  • Views Views 2K

Mike.

Reaction score
Newcastle 6-0 Aston Villa: Carroll the main man as Newcastle run riot

http://www.zonalmarking.net/2010/08...a-carroll-the-main-man-as-newcastle-run-riot/

villanewcastle.jpg

A huge win for Newcastle thanks to two main factors – they won the midfield battle, and had a clear gameplan when they had the ball.

Chris Hughton kept faith with the eleven players that started well but faded badly against Manchester United last Monday, whilst Kevin MacDonald made the one expected change – with James Milner leaving, his replacement Stephen Ireland came into the side in the centre of midfield.

Villa started the better side, and looked more likely to score thanks to Newcastle’s suicidally high defensive line that Ashley Young constantly looked to take advantage of. He won a penalty after just eight minutes by sprinting in behind Newcastle’s backline to meet a curled through ball from Stiliyan Petrov, but John Carew blazed the spot kick well over the bar.

Newcastle grew into the contest by getting the better of the midfield battle. Alan Smith and Joey Barton simply outfought Petrov and debutant Stephen Ireland, winning the 50-50 balls, and taking it in turns to break towards goal. Barton was playing slightly higher up the pitch, and was the most creative of these four players – and less than five minutes after the missed penalty, fired a tremendous strike past Brad Friedel, and into the net.

No cohesion from Villa

Villa were playing a more possession-based approach than the counter-attacking style they favoured under Martin O’Neill, although the space in behind the Newcastle defence was also prompting their central midfielders to look for quick balls over the top. They struggled to get their wingers involved – Marc Albrighton, so impressive in his first two games of the season, was outclassed by Jose Enrique and Stewart Downing did little. Villa switched their wingers around, but their main problem was still in the centre of the pitch.

Judging Ireland by his debut is rather harsh, but it seems unlikely that his preferred role is in a midfield four, even when playing alongside the defensive-minded Petrov. Today he played very deep, unable to influence the game going forward, and showing defensive weaknesses when up against Smith (both in losing too many tackles, and not tracking him when Smith made a run into the box, where he was upended by Richard Dunne). Ireland’s best position is at the top of a midfield three, and whilst the cash-plus-Ireland deal was good in terms of monetary gain and simple player ability, they now have the problem that Milner and Ireland are quite different players, and replacing one with the other might not work particularly well.

As against Manchester United, Newcastle’s wingers were slightly too keen to come inside early on – particularly Wayne Routledge, who seemed inclined to cut in onto his left foot, only to then discover that he wasn’t confident enough to actually use it. On the other side, Enrique started to get forward more, and his excellent cross found Carroll at the back post, who nodded down for Kevin Nolan to score at the second time of asking.

Carroll runs the show

Carroll was superb all day, with his obvious aerial ability complimented by his general link-up play, and his precise finishing. His first goal arrived after a Dunne miskick following a corner, and Newcastle were 3-0 up at half-time.

The second half was played at a much gentler pace. Newcastle were intelligent enough to slow the pace down when in possession in midfield – the Premier League experience of Smith, Barton and Nolan is not something many newly-promoted sides can draw upon. Their attitude was to sit back, and see what Villa had to offer. Which was very little – as the Chalkboard below shows, they didn’t manage a single shot on target.

villashots.jpg

by Guardian Chalkboards​

MacDonald changed nothing at half-time , then experimented with Emile Heskey in a right-wing position in the second half, still with the 4-4-1-1. Petrov was the next player to get some rare experience on the right following Nigel Reo-Coker’s introduction, but in truth, Villa had given up. Carroll volleyed home a fine goal midway through the second half, then Nolan poked home in the last five minutes, before Carroll grabbed his hattrick in stoppage time. But the second half was a non-event in tactical terms.

Conclusion

You suspect that Kevin MacDonald has blown his chance of being given the Aston Villa job on a full-time basis after this display, especially with Bob Bradley making positive noises in response to being linked with the job. Villa started well, but were absolutely terrible after going 3-0 down. MacDonald’s changes in the second half hardly suggested he has the tactical nous to deserve the job, and whoever does take over will have to mould a cohesive team with some players that don’t really seem to fit together after Ireland’s arrival.

Newcastle were excellent – combative in midfield, intelligent and patient in their build-up play, and clinical upfront. Carroll’s goals gets the headlines, but his overall game was excellent throughout. He wins almost everything in the air, and is well aware of his job in holding the ball up and laying it off for others.

In all, Newcastle look to be a decent side. Their formation can shift easily; a 4-4-1-1 when defending, and a 4-2-3-1 (or even 4-1-4-1) when in possession of the ball. They also have a clear gameplan – get the ball to Carroll in the air, and get runners to contest the second ball. If there’s one thing they need to change, it’s simply to utilize Carroll even more -with his aerial dominance, there’s no reason for the wingers to be cutting in rather than going outside and whipping balls in.

that was such a SHOCK it was un-real lol i was in histarics what is happening to aston villa

Newcastle's EURO dream is still on, and I can breath a sigh of relief ;)

that was such a SHOCK it was un-real lol i was in histarics what is happening to aston villa

It's not really funny...

Newcastle's EURO dream is still on, and I can breath a sigh of relief ;)

Aim High, and never give up on that goal....absolutely perfect performance from us, deserved the points, and 6 goals helps our Goal Diff after losing last week. Hopefully this will help us turn St James into a fortress, which is integral this season.

It's not really funny...

Aim High, and never give up on that goal....absolutely perfect performance from us, deserved the points, and 6 goals helps our Goal Diff after losing last week. Hopefully this will help us turn St James into a fortress, which is integral this season.
cant see you picking up too may points away so home form is key. long for carroll yet, but he could have an england future, has real potential

cant see you picking up too may points away so home form is key. long for carroll yet, but he could have an england future, has real potential

I think the bottom half is very much open this year, and we could seriously look to away points against the bottom half teams. If we can do that to Villa, we should be comfortable this season. The key is consistency though.

Our new signing Tiote looks a good buy, will sit in the hole between Def and Mid, so that give Nolan and Barton more freedom to get forward, which is where they are dangerous. I would like two signings in before the end of market which will sort out our squad until January. One pacy forward, and a creative midfielder, and I will be pleased. I think Carroll will certainly be the big threat for us up front, and if he carries on with good performances, I think he may be called up for the next matches.

The left flank of Newcastle was just amazing today.

Both attacking and defensive aspects were simply brilliant. :)

The left flank of Newcastle was just amazing today.

Both attacking and defensive aspects were simply brilliant. :)

Definitely. The defence and attack need to function all season. Even though we destroyed Villa, this is one game, and I won't be too optimistic about where we will finish.

*At least Joey Barton will now get rid of that repulsive tache....

im really excited with Mr Andy Carroll, i know there was small rumours about him joining Chelsea. I genuinly hope he has a good seasons lets say 10-15 league goals and then i can see him joining the Chels. I think Newcastle could possibly finish mid table.

im really excited with Mr Andy Carroll, i know there was small rumours about him joining Chelsea. I genuinly hope he has a good seasons lets say 10-15 league goals and then i can see him joining the Chels. I think Newcastle could possibly finish mid table.

Carroll will not join Chelsea, loyalty actually means something here.

won £70
i knew they would win but not by 6
EPL is going to have loads of goals this season, Chelsea already have 12:O:(

---------- Post added at 09:01 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:56 PM ----------

Carroll will not join Chelsea, loyalty actually means something here.

i hope he does
chelsea don't need a new forward yet

One person who doesnt get enough credit for me Is Barton, hes a top player, was fantastic at city, had to go though after he beat up Ousmane Dabo, if he wasnt such a bad boy, he could have been a great player for England

One person who doesnt get enough credit for me Is Barton, hes a top player, was fantastic at city, had to go though after he beat up Ousmane Dabo, if he wasnt such a bad boy, he could have been a great player for England

couldn't agree more mate. i have always rated Barton as a footballer and i think thats key because that is his job.

good player, not a top player, and certainly wouldnt have been a great player for england

I thought Newcastle would win this but i didnt expect them to score so many goals, especially when Villa were awarded a penalty. Carews penalty miss has to go down as 1 of the most spectacular, not sure if the ball has come down yet.

Back