Newcastle United - Life After Ashley - Under New Management

Klippybo

Premium
Reaction score
1636578885998.png

NEWCASTLE UNITED - LIFE AFTER ASHLEY - UNDER NEW MANAGEMENT

So I will be "that" guy. Everyone here knows about FM22 and the money that Newcastle have but having posted stories on here for nearly 10 years now and being a Newcastle United fanatic I think it is only right that I do the first Newcastle story with their new found riches!

To have your own club being taken over by tycoons and having them in place from day one is an extremely rare occasion in FM history so it will be interesting and fun to see how I get on. I did have a season with Athletic Bilbao as a BETA save and won the double which kinda ruined it so having dipped my toes in the water I am going for my beloved Newcastle United.

The aim of the save is to just dominate world football. I was tempted to load up all Saudi Arabian players and manage the nation so to build up their country as well as the club as it is well known why the owners bought the club but with this being the start of FM22 I am keeping it simple for now.

I have an updated database with Steven Gerrard being the new Aston Villa manager and Conte in at Spurs but there are hardly any other changes tbh.

--

1636579321221.png

CLUB INFO

Founded
Nicknames - The Magpies
Stadium - St. James Park
Capacity - 52,305

--

HONOURS

First Division Winners (4)
- 1904-05, 1906-07, 1908-09, 1926-27

Second Division/Championship Winners (4) - 1964-65, 1992-93, 2009-10, 2016-17

FA Cup Winners (6) - 1909-10, 1923-24, 1931-32, 1950-51, 1951-52, 1954-55

FA Charity Shield Winners (1) - 1909

Sheriff of London Charity Shield Winners (1) - 1907

Inter-Cities Fairs Cup Winners (1) - 1968-69

--

1636658703610.png

Alan Shearer being unveiled as the worlds most expensive footballer in 1996 (£15m)

RECORDS

Highest Attendance
- 68,386, v Chelsea, First Division, 1930

Record Victory - 13-0 v Newport County, 2nd Division, 1946

Record Defeat - 0-9 v Burton Wanderers, 1895

Record Transfer Fee Paid - £40m for Joelinton from Hoffenheim in 2019-20 (a ******* embarrasment)

Record Transfer Fee Received - £35m for Any Carroll to Liverpool in 2010-11

Youngest Ever Player - Steve Watson, 16yrs 233 days, v Wolves, 1990

Oldest Ever Player - Billy Hampson, 44yrs 225 days, v Birmingham City, 1927

Most Appearances - Jimmy Lawrence, 1904-22, 496 apps

Most Goals - Alan Shearer, 1996-2006, 206 goals​

SEASON BY SEASON RECORD
SEASONPREMIER LEAGUEFA CUPCARABAO CUP
2021-22

1636753442474.png

PRE-SEASON

So I join the club with all the knowledge needed about the playing staff and with an idea of who I need to get out of the club (looking at you Joelinton, Jeff Hendrick and Emil Krafth!) having supported the club for 30 years since being a 10y/o boy.

I was given over £200m to spend on the first team squad and at the time of writing I have spent £183m of that but did I blow big money on just a few players and obliterate the transfer record or perversely look for bargains to build up the squad? Well I went with the latter and so far I have signed 16 players of various ages and reputations.

I have to say that I found it really fun trying to sign players for the side. I could have splashed big or went semi big and signed wonderkids who were priced £40-50m and there are so many ways how to take on the challenge of building the squad with such financial backing.

I also overhauled the backroom staff. I inherited Eddie Howe's staff and kept them on but I brought in a director of football in Luis Campos and also strengthened the coaching team with the likes of Paul McGuinness and Oliver Bartlett while Frank McParland who has been helping the Saudis with their takeover and recruitment has been signed up as a scout lol.

Here are my outgoing players so far (on the day of the opening day of the season) and there could be more to come.........

--

PLAYERS OUT

I had several players who I wanted shot of and top of that list was the useless ***** Joelinton so I was delighted to sell him to Rennes for £4m which was just a £36m loss! I cant stand the player and would have given him away on a free but I was grateful for the money that I recouped.

Leeds signed Karl Darlow for £7.25m which is a decent fee for my backup keeper and my 4th choice keeper, Mark Gillespie, joined New York City for £825,000. Selling 2 keepers meant that I had to bring one in as Martin Dubravka is injured which leaves me with just Freddie Woodman.

Javi Manquillo (dont mind him tbh) joined Dinamo Moscow for £6.25m which is a good fee and my other RB, Emil Krafth (cant stand him) left for Watford for £1.4m. Matt Ritchie signed for Burnley for £3.9m, Jeff Hendrick moved to Bordeaux for £3.3m (thank god), and Ciaran Clark rocked up at Dynamo Kiev for £2.5m.

I still want to get rid of Federico Fernandez and Dwight Gayle but thats about it tbh. In all so far I have recouped £29.5m.

--

PLAYERS IN

So how did I spend my cash?

Well firstly I should say I still have just over £20m left and have committed to spend nearly £10m on a young centre-back in the future. My remaining funds will ONLY be spent on young prospects for the future and tbh I have spent nearly £20m on players who are either out on loan or in my U23 squad already!

Firstly my biggest signing! He came in for £38m and he has come from a Premier League club so he should hit the ground running and that man is Raphinha. I brought him in from Leeds United to be my new RW and if he struggles there I will swap him with the mercurial Allan Saint-Maximin. I feel I have 2 wingers who will cause havoc for the opposition defences and the only worry is that he has a £52m release fee for clubs in the Champions League.
raphinha.png

I paid £25m to bring Delle Ali to the club. I thought the fee was a bit of a bargain and at only 25y/o he can still improve. His career has went by the wayside in recent years so it is a bit of a gamble but I think he will be good for us and the fact that he is English is a bonus as I do like to have a squad with lots of homegrown players by the country.
alli.png

My other English signing was of the same mould as I brought in another player who has lost his way. I shelled out just £6m to bring in Ross Barkley from Chelsea and he will compete for both the CM and AMC positions. He is on big wages but to bring him in so cheaply was a no-brainer.
barkley.png

I needed a new left back so in came Renan Lodi from Atletico Madrid for £24m. I cant believe that I got a player of his quality for such a small fee and when I looked at LBs he was head and shoulders above everyone else. He is only 23y/o so he is also one for the future too.
lodi.png

Having sold both my right backs I needed to replace them and I shelled out more for my backup than I did for my first choice! lol. I paid £9.5m to bring in 17y/o Calvin Ramsay from Aberdeen and £9m to bring back Kevin Mbabu back to the club from Wolfsburg. In real life Ramsay looks like a star in the making so I was willing to pay whatever it took to bring the teenager in. As for Mbabu he is a decent age, homegrown by the club and is very quick so I am delighted with these 2 signings.
ramsay.png
mbabu.png

My defence continued to get strengthened as I brought in 2 CBs to battle it out with Jamal Lascelles who is still my club captain. Gianluca Mancini came in from AS Roma for £16m and the Italian international will be first choice CB. At only 25y/o he can still improve and I think that this move is a real bargain. I then paid £15m to Marseille for Boubacar Kamara to challenge for the spot. He will be a great ball playing defender and considering he is only 21y/o he has a great future ahead of him.
mancin.png

kamara.png

Another CB that came in but was signed with the future in mind was Kerr Smith from Dundee United for £7.5m. The 16y/o is a huge prospect and his transfer value has sky rocketed since he arrived and while he may have to bide his time he is certainly one for the future.
smith.png

The signings continue and next up are 2 South American forwards. Callum Wilson was my only decent centre forward when I arrived at the club so it was imperative that I brought in competition. So in came Gabriel Barbosa from Flamengo for £12.5m and Julian Alvarez from River Plate for £6.5m. Barbosa was definitely signed as a player who genuinely can match Wilson from day one while Alvarez was signed with the future in mind. Both are terrific players and they hopefully will have bright futures with the club.
gb.png
alvarez.png

I made 5 other signings and with the exception of Lorius Karius from Liverpool for £2.6m they are all ones for the future and a couple even got loaned back to the selling club however the deal to sign Bright Arrey-Mbi from Bayern Munich for just £200,000 is an absolute steal!! I also triggered the £2m release clause to sign Santiago Munoz permanently.

--

SQUAD & SEASON AIMS

Regarding the squad I have brought in so many players that it is all down to how they gel. Dubravka will be my keeper but Mbabu and Renan Lodi have been signed to be my starting full backs. In the middle of defence Kamara and Mancini should probably be my first choice pairing but Lascelles is my captain and I need to keep a base of players who were already here before the money came rolling in.

Willock and Longstaff will be my starting CMs. Barkley is better than Willock but they are too similar in their play style so I will go with these two from the start. Raphinha and Saint-Maximin will be my wingers with Dele Alli in at AMC.

The toughest decision will be whether to start with Callum Wilson up front or Gabriel Barbosa. Wilson is injury prone but at the end of the day it will be decided on form.

As for season aims I would hope to qualify for European football for next season. Thats it!​

1636795349846.png

VIDEO LINK - Newcastle 7-1 Leicester 1993

AUGUST

villa.png

Lineup
- Karius, Ramsay, Lascelles, Mancini, Renan Lodi, Longstaff, Willock, Fraser (Raphinha), Alli (Almiron), Saint-Maximin, Wilson (Gabriel Barbosa)

A solid start to the season. We took the lead when Ryan Fraser turned in a Ramsay cross but then he went off injured shortly afterwards and will be out for 3 months. Villa equalised and despite some late pressure we couldnt find the winner.

--

leicester.png

Lineup - Karius, Ramsay, Lascelles, Mancini, Renan Lodi (Dummett), Longstaff, Willock (Barkley), Raphinha, Alli, Saint-Maximin, Wilson*

WOW!!!!

I didnt expect this result!! We hit Leicester for 7 as we ran riot. Callum Wilson helped himself to 4 goals as he put in a top notch performance but to be fair everyone was superb. Saint-Maximin scored twice, Raphinha got a few assists and Calvin Ramsay also had a great game.

--

Carabao Cup 2nd Round
everton.png

Lineup
- Karius, Mbabu, Lascelles*, Kamara (Schar), Renan Lodi, Longstaff (Shelvey), Willock, Raphinha, Barkley, Almiron, Gabriel Barbosa (Alvarez)

We were excellent here and fully deserved the win. Despite resting several players we were dominant throughout and it was actually 3 players who I didnt sign who scored the goals.

--

brighton.png

Lineup - Karius, Ramsay*, Lascelles, Mancini (Kamara), Renan Lodi, Longstaff, Willock, Raphinha, Alli, Saint-Maximin (Almiron), Wilson (Gabriel Barbosa)

A good win and we scored 4 goals which is mightily impressive! We scored 3 inside 25min and Miguel Almiron came off the bench to score the 4th. Renan Lodi had an absolute shocker here which was a surprise.

--

SUMMARY

We have exploded onto the scene with our start this season as we have been banging in the goals left, right and centre! Sure we drew with Aston Villa on the opening day of the season but we then smashed 7 goals past Leicester, 3 past Everton in the Carabao Cup and then 4 away to Brighton.

My new signings have hit the ground running. Raphinha has been magnificent, Alli has been superb but a special mention goes out to Calvin Ramsay who has been excellent and is keeping the more experienced Kevin Mbabu out of the side! Things are looking really good at the minute.

As for transfers there were no more incomings but I did loan out Federico Fernandez and Dwight Gayle so that saved us some money on our weekly wage bills.

--

PLAYER OF THE MONTH
RAPHINHA
RAPHINHA.png

--

PREMIER LEAGUE
AUG.png

1636828948380.png

VIDEO LINK - Newcastle 3-1 Burnley, 2020

SEPTEMBER

palace.png

Lineup
- Dubravka, Lascelles, Kamara (Schar), Mancini*, Hayden, Longstaff, Willock, Raphinha, Alli (Barkley), Saint-Maximin, Wilson (Gabriel Barbosa)

With Dummett, Renan Lodi and Lewis all out injured I had no left back available so I went with a 3-1-2-3-1 formation. We struggled to create anything tbh and our best opportunity came when Ross Barkley struck a free-kick off the crossbar. Martin Dubravka came back into the side and kept a clean sheet.

--

burnley.png

Lineup - Dubravka, Lascelles, Kamara (Schar), Mancini*, Hayden, Longstaff (Shelvey), Willock, Raphinha, Alli (Almiron), Saint-Maximin, Wilson

Gianluca Mancini certainly seems to love playing as a wide centre back as he got his 2nd MOM award in a row. In the end we won 2-0 thanks to a brace from Callum Wilson.

--

Carabao Cup 3rd Round
4-2.png

Lineup
- Dubravka, Mbabu, Kamara, Mancini, Renan Lodi (Schar), Longstaff (Hayden), Willock, Raphinha*, Barkley, Almiron (Alvarez), Gabriel Barbosa

Despite resting a few players here we went away to Burnley here and did better than the first team at home just days previously! Gabriel Barbosa got his first 2 goals for the club and he also had a goal disallowed which denied him his hat-trick. Matt Ritchie scoring against us was a comical moment.

--

watford.png

Lineup - Dubravka, Mbabu, Lascelles, Mancini, Renan Lodi (Dummett), Longstaff (Shelvey), Willock, Raphinha, Alli, Saint-Maximin, Wilson*

For the 2nd time this season Callum Wilson scores 4 goals in a game! He was simply unplayable and was ruthless in front of goal. Gabriel Barbosa is itching to get a run of starts but while Wilson is starting he wont be getting dropped.

--

SUMMARY

Our strong start to the season continued here. Sure we had some kind fixtures but overall we performed very well. Our opening match of the month was a disappointment as we gave Crystal Palace their only point of the season thus far but we were away from home and were missing several players and had to play an unusual formation so that is understandable.

After that we beat Burnley home and away in both the league and the Carabao Cup with the cup performance being the better of the two despite me fielding some backup players and we have been rewarded with a tie against Southampton at home in the next round. We ended the month with a great 5-0 win over Watford with Callum Wilson netting 4 goals in a game for the 2nd time this season already.

--

PLAYER OF THE MONTH
CALLUM WILSON
wilson.png

--

PREMIER LEAGUE
sep.png

1636904540049.png

VIDEO LINK - Everton 2-2 Newcastle - incredible comeback in stoppage time!

OCTOBER

chelsea.png

Lineup
- Dubravka, Mbabu (Ramsay), Lascelles, Mancini, Renan Lodi, Longstaff, Willock, Raphinha, Alli (Almiron), Saint-Maximin, Wilson (Gabriel Barbosa)

The top 2 went head to head here but unfortunately we were well beaten as Lukaku and Werner scored with headers to condemn us to defeat. We just didnt turn up in truth.

--

3-1.png

Lineup - Dubravka, Mbabu*, Lascelles, Mancini, Renan Lodi (Lewis), Longstaff, Willock, Raphinha, Alli (Barkley), Saint-Maximin (Almiron), Wilson

An excellent away victory. Callum Wilson struck twice but it was the performance of Kevin Mbabu that stood out as he smashed in our 3rd goal and also claimed an assist as he is now keeping Calvin Ramsay out of the side.

--

arsenal.png

Lineup - Dubravka, Mbabu, Lascelles, Kamara (Schar), Renan Lodi (Lewis), Longstaff, Willock, Raphinha, Alli, Saint-Maximin, Wilson*

WOW!!!!

Arsenal came into this match top of the league but they were no match for us here as we ran riot and scored 5 goals. Callum Wilson scored a hat-trick (his 3rd of the season) and Delle Alli popped up with a brace. A great result.

--

Carabao Cup 4th Round
soton.png

Lineup
- Dubravka, Ramsay (Mbabu), Kamara, Mancini, Renan Lodi, Longstaff, Willock, Raphinha (Murphy), Barkley, Almiron (Alvarez), Gabriel Barbosa

This was a crazy match. We fell behind early on and then battered Southampton but we just couldnt convert our chances and we were heading out. I was just about to take off Gabriel Barbosa when he equalised so I kept him on and it seemed as though he scored a late winner but shockingly we conceded an even later equaliser. Thankfully we won the shootout after Southampton missed 2 of their kicks.

--

city.png

Lineup - Dubravka, Mbabu, Lascelles, Mancini (Schar), Renan Lodi (Lewis), Longstaff, Willock, Raphinha, Barkley (Almiron), Saint-Maximin, Wilson*

We have had some standout results and performances this season but this one surely cannot be topped. To go away to Man City, dominate, score 3 goals and never look troubled at the back is quite incredible! Callum Wilson scored another brace to take him up to 17 goals for the season - he has only played 10 games!

--

SUMMARY

When we kicked off this month with a 2-0 defeat away to Chelsea I was envisaging a nightmare month with our fixture list but in the end we were stupendous and end the month top of the league. After that defeat to Chelsea we beat Everton away 3-1 and followed that up with a superb 5-2 victory over Arsenal. We then edged out Southampton in the Carabao Cup on penalties before pulling up the trees with a magnificent 3-0 away win over Man City!!!!

Our form has been magnificent and on an individual level Callum Wilson is on fire with 17 goals already this season. Every time he has scored this season he has scored at least twice and his goals in league games look like this - 0,4,0,0,2,4,0,2,3,2!!!!!!!

In the Carabao Cup we have been drawn away to Man City which normally would mean that we will probably be knocked out but having just beaten them 3-0 we will go into that game full of confidence.

--

PLAYER OF THE MONTH
CALLUM WILSON
CALLUM.png

--

PREMIER LEAGUE
oct.png

NOVEMBER

soton.png

Lineup - Dubravka, Mbabu, Lascelles, Mancini, Renan Lodi, Longstaff (Hayden), Willock, Raphinha*, Alli, Saint-Maximin (Almiron), Wilson (Gabriel Barbosa)

Sure we won 3-0 and were comfortable winners but it could have been even better as amazingly Callum Wilson had 2 goals disallowed which denied him a hat-trick!

--

leeds.png

Lineup - Dubravka, Mbabu (Ramsay), Lascelles, Mancini, Renan Lodi, Longstaff (Hayden), Willock, Raphinha*, Alli, Saint-Maximin (Fraser), Wilson

Callum Wilson keeps up his ridiculous scoring record as he grabbed another brace here. He now has 20 goals in 12 games!!! Ryan Fraser returned from injury to come off the bench and score a goal.

--

wolve.png

Lineup - Dubravka, Mbabu, Lascelles, Mancini, Lewis, Longstaff, Willock (Barkley), Raphinha, Alli, Saint-Maximin (Fraser), Wilson

Amazing. Another hat-trick for Callum Wilson..............................

BUT SAVE OVER!!!!

I am finding it too ****** easy. 6pts clear a striker who has scored 23 in 13, keeping clean sheets. It is fun but ****** ridiculous!!!!!!!!

Sorry for the shortness of the save but I need a challenge.

Didn't this exact same thing happen on one of your Newcastle stories last year? It's ridiculous how many goals Callum Wilson gets and a bit strange that the FM match engine turns him into the best player world year after year!

Fairs man shame to see but understandable. Would love to see you start a LLM save from the Vanarama South/North or maybe a building a nation save especially with dynamic youth rating this year

I agree with Sam. Would love to see you do a VS or VN save or an unemployed save.

I agree with Sam. Would love to see you do a VS or VN save or an unemployed save.

I think thats what I will do tbh. Was contemplating going my local club Aberdeen, then Dinamo Kiev, then Union Berlin, then FC Basel but if there is genuine interest in me doing a lower league save then I will do so. Building a nation save really interests me!

Last edited:
I think thats what I will do tbh. Was contemplating going my local club Aberdeen, then Dinamo Kiev, then Union Berlin, then FC Basel but if there is genuine interest in me doing a lower league save then I will do so. Building a nation save really interests me!
I think you'd fancy a challenge like Cove Rangers btw.

I usually do an Aberdeen save every year however this year I opted to go Cove for the extra challenge

Good luck getting out the Balmoral stadium whilst playing European games at the now vacated Pittodrie.. lol