Newcastle United Story - Never a Dull Moment

Reaction score
View attachment 409821
View attachment 409820
Happy: Pardew looking forward to happy times at NUFC

Alan Pardew took his first pre-season press conferance earlier today and highlighted the optimism in his squad for the upcoming season and reiterated his stance that, despite a hugely disappointing 2012/2013 campaign, he sees his future at Newcastle United. "We are well aware that we let our fans down last year and it's my job to make sure that isn't going to happen again. I've made it clear i expect more from my team, my staff and also myself. I've got a lot of years left on my contract and actually hope to out-do those years i've got in the future, I get on well with the fans and we are on the same page in regards to what we want to see this group of players achieve. We do have a great group here but I've made it clear to Mike (Ashley) on a number of occasions since May that we need investment to take this club to the next level and I assure you he mirrors my sentiments. On a personal level I would like to see us replace Yohan (Cabaye) first and foremost and then go from there, this is a big year for us."

Pardew has 6 friendly games ahead of him to try out his team selections and formations and hopefully brood in a couple of signings:
View attachment 409813

Last edited:
Pretty good start here, and an interesting team in Newcastle, I've seen them both hit the Champions League and relegation on this year's game in the first season so it'll be interesting to see how you do! All the best!

Pretty good start here, and an interesting team in Newcastle, I've seen them both hit the Champions League and relegation on this year's game in the first season so it'll be interesting to see how you do! All the best!

Cheers mate, I did a story with them on FM12..it's on my threads if you wanna give it a look, got quite popular

View attachment 409810
View attachment 409809
View attachment 409811
View attachment 409812
Clem-on-Tyne: Grenier arriving at Newcastle International Airport yesterday

Newcastle United have officially announced the signing of French International midfielder Clement Grenier from Olympique Lyonnais. Sky Sports News broke the news last night that the Tyneside club had thrashed out a deal with the French giants and that the 23-year-old was in the North-East undergoing a medical and discussing personal terms. The details have this lunchtime have been signed and the player has put pen to paper on a 5-year-deal. Sky Sources understands the agreed fee between the two clubs is ?11.5million rising to ?13million with bonuses, Grenier broke the news on his Twitter account moments after signing. "Thank you Lyon for a lovely time, however i have chosen to move to Newcastle and further my journey, I will always love you."

View attachment 409808Alan Pardew said of his delight at securing such a 'coup' for the club, "Clement has been our sole target ever since Yohan (Cabaye) left, he brings attributes to the club that only a select few players possess. He is still young at 23 and has the potential to be up there with the Europe's top playmakers, he can shoot, pass, cross, take freekicks, tackle and defend, everything you look for in a Premier League star. He is ready for the challenge, he is arriving into a huge club that will nurture him to greatness. He strong-willed and I have stressed to him that he is arrving, not as Cabaye's replacement, but as Clement Grenier."
Grenier will take the no.4 shirt vacated by Cabaye and will look to seal his place in the starting XI for the opening PL fixture in the coming weeks.

Sting @OfficialSting what a tool @ Marseilles can you beiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiilieve 1m

Nice layout, will be interesting to see how it goes, love stories about #nufc

Expand

View attachment 408822
View attachment 408824
View attachment 408823
Rene to Rumble: Muelensteen arriving at Benton this morning

Newcastle United have confirmed that Dutch coach Rene Meulensteen has joined Alan Pardew's backroom staff. The recently-ousted Fulham boss has signed a two year deal with the Magpies and takes on the role of First Team Coach at St James' Park. "This is an exciting move for me as Newcastle, for me, are in the top 9 or 10 big clubs of European football. My career in management had stagnated and I wanted to get back into coaching and the Premier League was the only thing in my mind, I look forward to getting to know Alan (Pardew) and the players and help this club achieve as much as i can."

In other news, Newcastle have announced that they have loaned out a crop of youngsters to help their development and get first team football:
Gael Bigirimana - Ipswich (Season)
Remie Streete - Colchester (Season)
Kevin Mbabu - Port Vale (Season)
Paul Dummett - Burnley (Season)

View attachment 408819
Newcastle take Forest youngster on loan
View attachment 408818
Highly-rated Jamaal Lascelles makes move North

Newcastle United this lunchtime have announced the, somewhat
surprising, signing of Jamaal Lascelles from Nottingham Forest. 19 year old Lascelles is strong centre-back who regularly turns out for the England u21 side and has, in recent months, been courted by the likes of Arsenal, West Ham and Liverpool so Newcastle have done well to secure the youngsters signature. The deal for Lascelles is a season-long loan deal, however the move will become permanent as of next summer, with a reported fee of ?5million being touted. Its believed the initial loan is a money-saving ploy by the Magpies and envisage the club being in a much fitter financial state next summer so will be happy to pay then. Lascelles said this about his move, "I am very excited by this jump forward in my career, Newcastle are a club you dream of playing for as a kid. Running out in front of 52,000 mad Geordies every week is an offer no player can trun down, I cant wait to pull on my black and white shirt for the first time."

In other news, it has emerged that Real Sociedad tabled an offer for Cheick Tiote last week which Newcastle rejected and talks have since broken down. Newcastle demanded at least ?10million for their midfield general wheres as Sociedad were only willing to offer ?6million.

Newcastle have been hit with injuries recently, Mike Williamson and Sammy Ameobi have picked up knocks that will seem them sidelined for 2-3 weeks and Sylvain Marveaux could be out for 3 months after tearing his hamstring in training. Massadio Haidara, Tim Krul and Loic Remy are also recovering from previous setbacks.

View attachment 408795
View attachment 408794
View attachment 408792
View attachment 408793
Ben Voyage: 'Huge fee' for Ben Arfa agreed between Newcastle and PSG

The news coming out of Tyneside this evening is that French Giants and current Ligue 1 Champions, Paris Saint Germain, have again used Newcastle as a hunting ground and have agreed a 'huge fee' for mercurial winger Hatem Ben Arfa. Newcastle have recently released the following statement, "Newcastle United can confirm that, following lengthy talks, a fee has been agreed to sanction the sale of Hatem Ben Arfa to Paris Saint Germain. The player will now fly to France for talks, no further comment will be made at this time." A source from the Tyneside club has told us that the fee in question is huge for the player and trumps the fee made from the Yohan Cabaye transfer.

More to follow...

View attachment 408761
STATEMENT: BEN ARFA TO STAY
View attachment 408763
Newcastle United can confirm that Hatem Ben Arfa will not be leaving the club. The club confirmed earlier in the week that a bid had been accepted from Paris Saint Germain for the midfielder's services, the bid was ?26million. Hatem had flown to the French capital however, after talks, he has decided to turn down their offer and remain with us. Hatem has reaffirmed his love for the club and states he still owes the club and the manager far too much to even think about leaving yet. Alan Pardew has confirmed Ben Arfa will be involved in the opening day fixture against local rivals Sunderland at the Stadium of Light.

View attachment 408748
View attachment 408747
Gouffran and de Jong give Toon bragging rights
View attachment 408745
Newcastle United kicked off their 2013/2014 Premier League season in the best possible way by claiming an impressive victory away to fierce rivals Sunderland. Alan Pardew included sought-after Hatem Ben Arfa in his starting XI however it wasnt him who created the headlines. The first half was a pure battle between the two sides with Newcastle trying to pass their opponents off the pitch and Sunderland just striving to chase down and make interceptions, often relying on last-ditch tackles. Soon after the restart it was evident that the Sunderland players were tiring which gave Newcastle more room to pass the ball around and make runs. This paid off when Mathieu Debuchy played a wonderful pass through to the pacey Yoan Gouffran who bore down on the keeper and slotted it home. Sunderland gave no reaction and fatigued further which made Newcastle take it easy for the last ten minutes, however this didnt stop their lead being doubled as a failed backpass found its way to debutant Luuk de Jong who stayed calm and powered the ball past Ustari in injury time. Jamaal Lascelles also made his debut in the final minutes.

Match Facts

View attachment 408746

Newcastle made it two wins out of two today as they triumphed a brave Cardiff side. Yoan Gouffran didnt waste no time in continuing his fine form by putting the Magpies ahead after just a minute with a fine headed finish. Cardiff seemed shellshocked and Newcastle didnt let up and increased their led just ten minutes later with Fabricio Coloccini bundling in from a corner. Cardiff settled down and got back into the game on 23 mins with a Frazier Campbell tap in, however they couldnt step up a gear and substitute Shola Ameobi headed home from a Sammy Ameobi cross at the death to seal the points.
Match Facts

View attachment 408702

Newcastle United travelled to Carrow Road on Saturday afternoon looking to make it 3 wins out of 3 for the start of the season, and were backed by all punters to do so. However it was Norwich who came flying out the blocks when Wes Hoolahan beat Tim Krul at the third time of asking to give Norwich the lead. Newcastle pushed and pushed however a defiant display from John Ruddy and the Norwich back four, Joseph Yobo in particular, left the Toon frustrated and meant they would drop their first points of the season and will look to bounce back as quickly as possible.

In other news, Newcastle faced a shock early exit from the Capital One Cup at the hands of Wolves at St James Park. Goals from de Jong, Sammy Ameobi and Remy couldnt stop the Magpies from bowing out after extra time (3-4).

Match Facts

View attachment 406917

Newcastle United looked to bounce back from their first defeat of the season last week to Norwich by picking up 3 points away to newly-promoted Crystal Palace. Loic Remy, who made his debut last week, was deemed fit enough to start today and replaced misfiring Papiss Cisse in the lineup. It was the home team who took the lead after just two minutes after loan-signing Tom Ince was sent through and he calmly slotted the ball passed Krul, Newcastle once again looking slack defensively in the opening minutes. However the Magpies' response came instantaneously with Hatem Ben Arfa powering down the right before cutting in on his left and lifting the ball powerfly over Speroni in the 5th minute. The game then became a dull affair until the 60th minute when Ince was again sent through only to be tugged down by Davide Santon who then, expectadly, recieved his marching orders. Palace pushed on from this and got their reward as Cameron Jerome slotted home after a goal-line scramble five minutes from time. Newcastle looked down and out until the 92nd minute, a missed interception by Danny Gabbidon saw Loic Remy bearing down on goal and curled a right-footed effort round a despairing Speroni to see The Magpies take home a point.

Match Facts

View attachment 406817

Newcastle United hosted Swansea City in this weeks Super Sunday at St James' Park as the Magpies looked to continue their solid start to the season. Both sides came flying out the blocks and looked to lay down their authority on the game by playing fast-paced attacking football but ended up cancelling eachother out on most occasions. The game settled down after the early exchanges as both sides referred to fluent, possession-based style with both teams in no hurry to show that cutting edge. However, in the 21st minute, Newcastle caught the Swans off guard by launching a quick attack down the left hand side when Gouffran found stand-in left back Yanga-Mbiwa on the overlap who delivered a pin-point cross to the near post which was met by the arriving Luuk de Jong for his second goal of the campaign. Newcastle then spent the rest of the first half on top and went all out for the second goal however a mix of luck and a sterling performance from Gerhard Tremmel meant the deficit at half time would only be one. Newcastle simply took their foot off the gas and looked to frustrate Swansea by sitting back and inviting pressure and this saw them comfortabley over the line and into 4th place.

Match Stats

View attachment 390118

View attachment 390097
View attachment 390098
View attachment 390099
Tyne-bound?: NUFC given permission to speak to Geordie midfileder

Sky Sports News understands that Sunderland have given North-East rivals Newcastle United permission to speak to their 24 year old midfielder Jack Colback. Colback, who was born in Killingworth and supported Newcastle as a child, is out of contract at the end of the season and has made it clear to the Wearside outfit that he will reject any new contract offer and intends to leave the club. Sunderland have evidently resigned to losing the versatile youngster and have agreed a reduced fee with Newcastle that will see the player move in January instead of losing the player on a free next summer. If the move is completed, Colback will become the first player to move from Sunderland to Newcastle since Lee Clarke did so 17 years ago.