Reaction score
Alright folks,

Only a few short weeks until patch 13.3 comes out with all the glorious updates from the past transfer window, which means Newcastle are expected to be some force. Being a Newcastle fan I’ve been holding off starting a save until this is released and now with it expected soon I can not wait.

Potentially, this could my last NUFC save as I simply don’t have the time to commit to FM anymore so I want to go out with a real bang. With this in mind, my aim is simply to turn Newcastle United into the greatest football team of the 21st century, creating a dynasty to rival the likes of Manchester United & Liverpool as well as European giants such as Bayern Munich, Real Madrid & Barcelona.

Aims:
- Achieve Champions League qualification within the first two seasons
- Win the premier league within three seasons
- Champions League trophy within four seasons

Squad
Very little change to the squad in the first season. At most I’ll likely bring in a couple of youngsters to the youth team but apart from that the squad will largely remain untouched. Going forward, I will probably address areas such as the striker and the wings, however, this will likely depend on formation. One player I will be keeping an eye on is a certain Andy Carroll. The romantic inside me loves the idea of him returning to SJP and if the opportunity arises I will certainly be interested.

Traditionally, I’m not a big transfer spender and will likely focus on developing youth players and investing in regens with huge potential. With this in mind, the one player who will play a key role in the development of this save is the young Adam Campbell.

I’ve read a lot of very exciting posts around this lad on the FM13 Forums and have therefore made it one of my key objectives to blood this youngster and turn him into the greatest goal scorer NUFC have ever seen. I know tommonufc has had some really good success with Campbell and I’m really excited about this lad leading my attack. Most likely I’ll use him as a poacher as I understand this is his best position, with Cisse tutoring him in the first few seasons, and blooding him from very earlier on in the game. One question I do have is over his training. My plan is to set him up on heavy training under poacher. Is there a risk he’ll burn out? What is the best approach to take in terms of training him?

Other youngsters I will focus on is young Remie Streete, who provided a decent squad player in FM12, as well as Sammy Ameobi and Gael Bigirimana. I’m prepared to give players like Vuckic, Ferguson and Good a chance in cup games but from previous experience I’ve found they’ve always struggled to step up. The dream however, is a Geordie strike force of Carroll and Campbell leading us to glory, however my preferred tactical approach might prevent this.

As for the dispensable players, again I won’t be making huge changes initially but likely Ranger and Williamson, will be heading out the door.

Tactics
From my observations the tactics that look like it will best suited for NUFC will be 4-5-1 or a 4-2-3-1. Currently I’m having very good success with Modern Warefare with a Wycombe Wanderers save, however, in order to get the most out of NUFC I think either of these would serve best. Traditionally, I have favoured the classic tactics largely a 4-4-2, pushing the wide men further ahead, however, I think this tactic seems to of had it’s day and am keen to really push ahead with a tactic which would see Cisse as a poacher supported by HBA and Gouffran and a midfield encompassing Tiote, Cabaye and Sissoko. Again a message to the masses, have people enjoyed much success with this tactic?

If you look at the core of NUFC squad, you could tell right away that the best tactic for it is probably a classic 4-4-2. The starting lineup already has 2 excellent strikers, 1 excellent and 1 very good midfielders, an excellent playmaker and a versatile ball winning midfielder plus a decent back four. The only apparent weakness is the defensive squad depth especially for the left back.

I suggest that you use Nezza's 4-4-2 tactic. This tactic works tremendously with NUFC starting players, you don't even need to buy anyone if you don't want to. I still suggest though that you buy Wellington Nem, Ademilson and Ruben Yttergard-Jensen. Nem and Ademilson both have very high potentials and at the ridiculously low prices which you could grab them are excellent investments. Ruben Yttergard-Jensen is an excellent back up for Yohan Cabaye. He doesn't have a very high potential but He is very creative and He has the very important 'dictates tempo' PPM.

Hey man

I have had tonnes of Newcastle saves on this game testing loads of tactics, I've even delved into LFCMarshals update with attempts at building tactics to fit Newcastles squad, from 442's 451's and 433's etc, i even had a 2431 tactic that was awesome defensively but no goals.

anyways your aims are very reasonable which ever tactic you choose, Newcastles squad has versatility in it from a first 11 point of view plus cheap options such as wellyboot nem.

Bringing andy carroll back would in my opinion benefit your cause, from multiple testing big target men seem to do better than the small poacher type player on the current patch in my opinion.

Bleeding the youngsters, when 13.3 comes out there may or may not be changes to the youngsters PA's and CA's so I dunno what to do about that however, a few weeks back TBH replied to a similar question on developing players which I thought was perfect, I cant remember exactly what was said, but it was along the lines of till the player reaches 18/20 give them individual training that has the "name" of the position in it for example advanced forward, and once they reach that age you can give them more specified role training such as Poacher.

Tactic's again I am unaware of any ME changes so current tactics may not work as they currently do, however any tactic that has a TM will suit Newcastle with carroll added to the team. Like I say the side has good versatility and can be adapted to whichever you choose with the right signings.

hope any of this helps xD

Hi guys, many thanks for your comments and feedback. Toonarmy, is your recommendation based on pre-Jan-transfer window? In my head my formation would be a back four of Debauchy, Colo, Saylor, Santon. Midfield i'm considering Tiote, as an anchor man with Sissoko and Cabaye in the middle. I'd then look at using Gouffran and HBA outwide followed by Cisse in the middle.

Other option is Sissoko and Tiote as midfield followed by AM's HBA, Gouffran and Cabaye.

Hi guys, many thanks for your comments and feedback. Toonarmy, is your recommendation based on pre-Jan-transfer window? In my head my formation would be a back four of Debauchy, Colo, Saylor, Santon. Midfield i'm considering Tiote, as an anchor man with Sissoko and Cabaye in the middle. I'd then look at using Gouffran and HBA outwide followed by Cisse in the middle.

Other option is Sissoko and Tiote as midfield followed by AM's HBA, Gouffran and Cabaye.
Yes, I'm playing the pre-january transfer. After January then I think you can still use Nezza's 4-4-2 but you would need to get 2 good strikers. In my save I'm playing with Ba (pre-january transfer), Ademilson, Welbeck, Quintero and Campbell. I sold Cisse to Barca for $45M and picked up Welbeck for half that price.