Newcastle v West Ham, 1945GMT.

StuW

Why So Serious?
Reaction score
Slightly late, but the score gives us all plenty to talk about.....

Current Score
5-0​
Best(18, 39, 60), Nolan(45), Lovenkrands(63)

West Ham's performances over the festive period mean Avram Grant's job appears safe, for now at least. However, a trip to St James' Park will be a salutary reminder of how quickly things can change; Chris Hughton guided Newcastle to victory in the reverse fixture yet was sacked six weeks later.
A change of management certainly looked on the cards following the Hammers' lifeless display against the Magpies on 23 October, but few would have expected it to come on Tyneside.
Newcastle boss Alan Pardew could have found himself in the visitors' dug-out if West Ham had decided to axe Grant. The Englishman never made any secret of his desire to return to the club that sacked him in December 2006.
Pardew's controversial appointment at St James' Park caused unease amongst many Newcastle fans. However, performances so far have generally been encouraging, and memories of Hughton's ruthless dismissal are beginning to fade. Deprived of star man Andy Carroll against Wigan on Sunday, the Magpies nonetheless won comfortably to move into the top half of the table.
West Ham ended their 16-month wait for an away league win at Fulham on Boxing Day, and took seven points from a possible nine over the festive period. However, they have not won back-to-back games on the road since 2007, while their last win at Newcastle was in 1998.

Head-to-head
• West Ham have not won at St James' Park since 1998, when the Hammers won 3-0. Ian Wright scored a brace in that game.

Newcastle
• The Magpies have scored 20 goals in their 10 league games at St James' Park but have been beaten four times - no top-flight side has suffered more defeats on their own turf.
• They have won only two of their last nine league games on Tyneside, keeping one clean sheet.
• Newcastle have won six of the eight league games in which they scored first this term (W6, D1, L1).

West Ham
• The Hammers' 3-1 win at Fulham ended a run of 27 away league games without a victory. It was their first success on the road since beating Wolves on the opening day of the 2009/10 campaign.
• They have not won back-to-back away matches in the Premier League since December 2007, when they took maximum points at Blackburn and then Middlesbrough.
• Carlton Cole has netted in his last two games against Newcastle.

Still am partly in shock that Best has scored a hat-trick - but good for us as things stand, we go above the Hammers :)

Still am partly in shock that Best has scored a hat-trick - but good for us as things stand, we go above the Hammers :)

Great result for Newcastle and good to see Best scoring three goals.

Best knows he has to start producing. He is very close to being sold, and this will give him something to build on. Good on him, after watching, he deserves it.

West Ham on this performance, are nowhere near good enough for the EPL.

I suspect Grant will be getting his marching orders, along with Hogdson. Either that, or the fans will drive them out personally lol

good hatrick for Best

Grant on his last legs?

The last word ill say tonight.......PROUD

Best hat-trick is a massive shock to me, surprised he even played, in all fairness though its a poor side he was playing against but still well played.

Not many complaints about pardew now eh ? :p

WOW. I though after the last game WHU might have liftoff, didn't expect this.

Annoyed that Pardew is succeeding though. Don't worry, there's still plenty of time for him to work his 'magic' ;)

---------- Post added at 05:09 AM ---------- Previous post was at 05:09 AM ----------

Best hat-trick is a massive shock to me, surprised he even played, in all fairness though its a poor side he was playing against but still well played.

Not many complaints about pardew now eh ? :p

early days yet still! He still has another 5 and a bit years on his contract :)

Great result for us and a great game for Best! Hopefully he keeps up his goalscoring if given the chance.

I think Best's hat-trick has been slightly hyped, as shocking isn't even the word for the West Ham defence. I mean, look at the 2nd Best goal I think it was, it ended up with two Newcastle players verse ONE defender (Upson). But still, all Best can do is be in the right positions & apply the finishing so hats off to him.
Not so fearful as I was of relegation as Newcastle are playing very well atm...However, I'm a big believer in the dreaded 2nd season-syndrome oO) Let's just hope for the Best eh (Pun intended).
Great result for Newcastle, what are your thoughts on Alan Partidge btw? Not a big fan myself personally, as the foundation & structure is already there for him set up by Chris Hughton. Felt his first coulple of games were really won by the team themselves rather than the manager having any effect. Just my 2 cents.

Last edited:
Nice to see Best scoring *sarcasm* his first hat-trick in his life *sarcasm*. Wonder of the world.