Bigpapa42

Reaction score
So loads of us love trying to find the great newgens as soon as they are generated into the game, then trying to steal them away, usually just signing them to a contract and paying compensation. However, a change to FM18 means that they generally won't sign a contract right at that point - its realistic, as they just signed a contract with their current club. On the rare occasion you can get them to sign (usually because their club didn't get them on a pro contract), compensation has gone up. Waiting six months usually means they will be willing to move, but its just a matter of whether their current club has the reputation to value them highly or not.

Stumbled upon a bit of a trick. Youth players on amateur contracts will still sign a pro deal right after they are generated with another club. And because they are amateurs, there is no compensation. This has always been the case with amateur clubs in the United States, but I've noticed that amateur clubs in other leagues are the same. This has been with first-day newgens but I expect it should work on newgen generation day each year.

I have found quality newgens - 4 to 5 star potential for a mid-table Prem club - at low level clubs in Portugal (loads of them), Spain, and France. That's with the top division of those nations loaded only. Its also with a pretty significant database of players (roughly 100K). These clubs generally don't have amazing facilities so its random luck if they get that kind of player, but definitely work digging and scouting.

Worth noting - an indicator that they are on an amateur contract is that they will have 0 value. Helps with searching.