Newport Revolution

• Thread starter Lost_tactics
  • Start date
  • Replies 8
  • Views 2K
L

Lost_tactics

I’ve just taken charge of Newport whom currently reside in the English Conference South.

But why, what’s so special about Newport you ask? Well, I was largely taken by the history of the club in that the Newport football supporters can consider themselves as pioneers in the creation of a modern trend in football – that of the fans’ club. Aldershot Town, AFC Wimbledon and FC United of Manchester are later examples who have followed with fans taking it upon themselves to give the sport back to the people who matter most, the lovers of the beautiful game, by forming their own club.

Newport County fans, like those of Aldershot three years later, had this situation forced upon them in 1989, when the club that had represented Wales’ third largest centre of population was first suspended and then expelled by the Football Conference. For 77 years County had supplied its fans with highs and lows, admittedly mostly the latter, but had made a significant impact on the game in Wales and beyond. Members of the Football League for 60 seasons, County recorded some notable achievements – John Aldridge, the sixth highest scorer in Football League history, spent his formative years at County, helping them to a quarter-final place in the European Cup-Winners Cup in 1981.

It was with great enthusiasm that Newport AFC was formed in the aftermath of the demise of the old club and the subsequent years have not reduced the passion of its fans. They have shown no hurdle is too great in their ambition and when the FA of Wales refused to sanction the embryo club’s participation in the English pyramid, the Exiles simply upped sticks and moved to Gloucestershire playing their home games in their inaugural season 80 miles away at the London Road ground in Moreton-in-Marsh.

In the summer of 1990, after clinching the Hellenic League Premier Division title there was a triumphant homecoming to the Somerton Park home of the original club, as the Exiles were promoted to the Midland Division of the Southern League. But it was soon back to Gloucestershire as the club and its fans remained united in wanting to pursue their goal of achieving English Football League status rather than throw in their lot with those Welsh clubs who joined the League of Wales.

Newport AFC spent two seasons based at Gloucester City before winning three landmark legal judgements, which have guaranteed their continued participation in the English set-up. On the field they won promotion to the Southern League’s Premier Division though that status was retained for just two seasons before relegation in 1997, and a third promotion in 1999, when the club satisfied lovers of nostalgia by adding the suffix County to its title.

In 2004/05, County made the cut for the newly established second tier of Conference football though they slipped down the table and survived relegation only with a victory on the last day of the season.

So, you see the charm? The Welsh club was founded in just 1989, by the fans, for the fans. Having literally just survived relegation from the very division that they still find themselves in, I hope to be the manager to steer them forward in an upward struggle that will be sure to cost a few dear hours of my most precious life.

Anyway, I wanted to make this thread so as to keep you all updated with my progress, heck, you might find my exploits to be somewhat enjoyable.

Here’s to Newport County AFC and their new manager. :D

Im gunna **** on your bonfire.

Dont bother! Ive tryed it twice with AFC W both times getting to League one in around 4-5 seasons. Its **** cos no one decent will join you as you are semi pro (how ever as soon as you turn everyone wants you) and it just gets boring. However I would probabaly have carried on if both times the game hadnt become currupt :(

Gregor said:
Im gunna **** on your bonfire.

Dont bother! Ive tryed it twice with AFC W both times getting to League one in around 4-5 seasons. Its **** cos no one decent will join you as you are semi pro (how ever as soon as you turn everyone wants you) and it just gets boring. However I would probabaly have carried on if both times the game hadnt become currupt :(
Aww what the heck… I’ll give it a whirl anyway, no harm in trying. :D

It is possible though to eventually become a professional outfit in the game, is it not?

I didnt happen with AFC Wimbledon but with Alloa it happened after a season of being in Division 1 (plus having around 5m in the bank)

I done it all with Leigh RMI so right round you Gregor. I say go for it mate :D

Yea and how did you get AFC on First season?

Good luck mate I think your going to need it ;)