Nicolas Anelka retires from International football

Didn't realise that he'd actually retired. He will look back on this and must just regret being such a prat so much. What an awful way to end your international career. Haven't really noticed him at this World Cup though in all honesty, gives Henry half a chance to start, although knowing Domenech, he'll probably start Sidney Govou, or Gignac who, despite poor performances are apparently still above Henry in the pecking order :S

---------- Post added at 04:54 AM ---------- Previous post was at 04:51 AM ----------

I'm sure he went a long time without being called up once for a previous huff he had? Altho I may be wrong...

No, you're right..

From the BBC website: Nicolas Anelka sent home after coach row
He scored twice on his debut against England in 1999 but later spent three years in the international wilderness after refusing to play for Les Bleus under coach Jacques Santini.

Domenech brought Anelka back into the fold in 2005 but left him out of France's squad for the World Cup in Germany the following year.

It was only a temporary omission and Anelka scored in the first leg ofthe qualifying play-off against the Republic of Ireland last November when France secured their place in South Africa.

Anelka, gifted but one of the worst temperaments in football. Thats the reason he has been at so many clubs, and struggled to get in the France squad under different managers.

I dont see why they dident take Benzema. Hes better then Gignac