• Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 22
  • Views Views 2K

Mike.

Reaction score
Nigel Reo-Coker comes in from the cold to captain Aston Villa
Reo-Coker to lead Villa in Stilian Petrov's absence
• Midfielder could be offered new contract by Gérard Houllier

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2010/oct/26/nigel-reo-coker-aston-villa-captain

Stuart James
guardian.co.uk, Tuesday 26 October 2010 22.30 BST
Article history

Nigel Reo-Coker has impressed his new Aston Villa manager, Gérard Houllier. Photograph: Scott Heppell/AP
Nigel Reo-Coker will complete a remarkable turnaround tomorrow night when he takes over as the Aston Villa captain, a little more than a year after he was involved in a training-ground fracas with Martin O'Neill that led to the midfielder being marginalised and later told to find another club.

The 26-year-old was sent home from training in September last year and left out of the squad for the league match against Fulham after he clashed with O'Neill, the then Villa manager, at Bodymoor Heath. Reo-Coker made only three league starts under O'Neill after the bust-up and his miserable season was brought to a premature end when he suffered an ankle injury in January. In the summer he was told he was surplus to requirements, prompting interest from Galatasaray and several Premier League clubs.

Yet the midfielder has started all six games since Gérard Houllier's arrival, and was today handed the captain's armband in the absence of the injured Stilian Petrov. Houllier has also signalled his intention to offer the former West Ham United player a new contract to replace the one that runs out in June.

"We will try to keep him," Houllier said. "If he wants to go elsewhere, he will go elsewhere. But the situation is this: he has played every game I have been in charge of and his performances are getting better and better. He plays for the team and he plays in a role where you have to be extremely unselfish. What I like is that he knows what he's capable of doing and he does it very well. The attitude is also very important. He's an example for the rest of the team. He's got personality and I like players like that. He's a winner and he's a fighter."

A couple of those attributes were evident on the training ground 13 months ago when O'Neill became embroiled in what he described as "a bit of a contretemps with Nigel". Reo-Coker has never spoken about the incident, and Houllier claimed he had no interest in discussing it. "I never ask anything about the past," the Villa manager said before the home Carling Cup tie against Burnley. "It doesn't interest me and it doesn't bother me. I judge on what I am seeing. I told the players that."

Houllier expressed concern that some players "get back into a comfort zone" once they have signed a new contract, and said it would be another couple of months before he could trust Reo-Coker enough to know that situation would not unfold with him. Yet the Frenchman also revealed preliminary discussions have already taken place between Reo-Coker's agent and Paul Faulkner, Villa's chief executive, suggesting an offer will be put to the player sooner rather than later.

Asked whether he was aware Reo-Coker could start talking to other clubs in January, Houllier gave a pragmatic response: "Do you think he waits until January? If Nigel doesn't do it himself, his agent will. But this club is big. If he wants to achieve, he knows what we are looking for. But if he goes elsewhere, it's not a problem. Nobody is bigger than the club."

Just in time for the derby on the weekend. It could either make him or break him.

He's a fantastic little player is Nigel. Underrated, yes, and marginalised under MON, but now he is blossoming. He's a superbly hard worker, a good leader and a fiery personality, and not afraid to go in for a 50/50 and support the rest of the lads. I'm a big fan of him. Here's hoping he bruises a couple of bluenoses at the weekend.

Always liked him at West Ham, thought he could fall flat on his face at a "bigger" club like Villa, and it appeared that was the way it was going for the first season or two. Very pleased for him.

I like him, got an all round game to himself. Good leader as seen in his West Ham days too.

Is this just 'cause Petrov's injured 'til January?

Yeah. Though to be fair, NRC is vice-captain so you'd expect him to be. The newsy bit is that basically this time last season his Villa career was over. From there to captain and best player of the season so far in a few months is impressive.

26 eh? Must admit i thought he was at least late 20s. I guess i just assumed he was getting on in years because of how little he has been playing. Still at that age got a lot of football left in him, if he can recapture his old form there is no reason he cant go places with Villa

Always looked good at West Ham I thought, didn't he captain them from a very young age?

Career kind went when he fell out with O'Neill, I was kind of hoping Fulham would sign him. Good to see him back to his best, he was touted for England at one stage If my memory serves me right.

@GodCubed, would you describe him as a box to box player or holding midfielder?

He does the dirty work in midfield, works all day for his team.

Always looked good at West Ham I thought, didn't he captain them from a very young age?

Career kind went when he fell out with O'Neill, I was kind of hoping Fulham would sign him. Good to see him back to his best, he was touted for England at one stage If my memory serves me right.

@GodCubed, would you describe him as a box to box player or holding midfielder?

He's got an odd role nowadays. He used to be a pure holding player, but recently he's started making Cahill-esque late runs from deep positions. He's not quite a box-to-box in the same way that, say, Steve Sidwell is (useless though he may be) but he's getting there.

Well, England do need a holding midfielder, just wonder if Reo Coker is good enough for it. I'm sure people wouldn't be able to breeze past him like they do with Barry due to his lack of pace.

Well, England do need a holding midfielder, just wonder if Reo Coker is good enough for it. I'm sure people wouldn't be able to breeze past him like they do with Barry due to his lack of pace.
ive wondered about this too, hes worth a shot in the friendlies at any rate

ive wondered about this too, hes worth a shot in the friendlies at any rate

It's something I've wondered. A year ago, no, no way. Now? Honestly, I'd like to see him given a chance. If you want a pure midfield destroyer, Reo-Coker can definitely do a job. He's quick and physical, and whilst he might lack Barry's cultured passing he's far more athletic and more of a defensive midfielder.

It's something I've wondered. A year ago, no, no way. Now? Honestly, I'd like to see him given a chance. If you want a pure midfield destroyer, Reo-Coker can definitely do a job. He's quick and physical, and whilst he might lack Barry's cultured passing he's far more athletic and more of a defensive midfielder.
Agreed. I'd much prefer Reo Coker to Barry, do we really need Barry's passing ability in a midfield which also has players like Gerrard and Lampard? No. We need a holding player to compensate for them two, a destroyer, someone who will chase down another player for as long as it takes and have the pace and power to win the ball.

Problem is I don't think Fabio will drop Barry honestly.

Always liked Big Nige, he deserves to be in a side as good as Villa, him and Petrov in the same team as holding midfielders would do well (I know Petrov is injured btw)

Well done big Nige!

The thing that worries me is who Villa will play with Petrov out. We'll have the back five and a front four of striker/Downing/Young and either Albrighton or Ireland, with NRC playing a holding role along with... who? Steve Sidwell is the likely choice, unfortunately. Isaiah Osbourne is a young player, but not a superbly talented one. If Gary Gardner wasn't injured I'd favour playing him. Maybe Jonathan Hogg will make the step up, though I don't know how good he is.

The thing that worries me is who Villa will play with Petrov out. We'll have the back five and a front four of striker/Downing/Young and either Albrighton or Ireland, with NRC playing a holding role along with... who? Steve Sidwell is the likely choice, unfortunately. Isaiah Osbourne is a young player, but not a superbly talented one. If Gary Gardner wasn't injured I'd favour playing him. Maybe Jonathan Hogg will make the step up, though I don't know how good he is.
You should of never sold Craig Gardner to Birmingham, he's playing really well, I rate him more than Sidwell to be honest.

Isn't his contract up in the summer?

Him and Young both. Hope we get him tied up in one soon.

You should of never sold Craig Gardner to Birmingham, he's playing really well, I rate him more than Sidwell to be honest.

Not sure I agree. I rated Gardner, but he wouldn't be able to fill a holding role. When we sold him he wasn't playing particularly well, so we took the money and let him go which is fair enough.

Also, he's a bluenose and isn't half as good as his baby brother. Not even kidding: Gary is superb.

Back