From winter into spring and slowly towards summer!

After ending European games we concentrated on Slovenian League and Slovenian Cup.
We were undefeated in 1. SNL since 14. August and that ill game versus Gorica, we hoped to continue on that to road towards 1st place.

1. SNL

Game 21

Zavrc - NK Maribor
1 - 3

Zorko 12`
Ibraimi 33`
Vrsic 54`
Ibraimi 77`

Host team went into lead early on, but we managed to come back in late 1st half. In second half we played even more offensive, scoring 2 goals in a great win.
Dare Vrsic is slowly starting to become one of my best players. As I started with career I didnt count on him, but after few injuries and his great performances he established himself as great offensive midfielder.

Game 22

NK Maribor - ND Gorica
1 - 0

Rajcevic 24`

Nice victory against our bogey opponent. We fought fierce battle, luckily at the end we walked of that pitch as winners.

Game 23

NK Radomlje - NK Maribor
0 - 2

Machado
15`
Maloca 51`

Two most expensive players that I bought scored goals. Machado played great in the midfield and Maloca commanded strong defence.

Game 24

NK Maribor - NK Celje
0 - 0

We didnt play well and we also lost our captain and best scorer Tavares for 2 months. Huge blow for NK Maribor.

Game 25

NK Krka - NK Maribor
0 - 0

Another draw. This game we played really, really bad. And as if that wasnt harsh enough, we also lost our defence commander, Mario Maloca.

Game 26

NK Olimpija - NK Maribor
3 - 4

Ibraimi 23`
Henty 24`
Zahovic 39`
Henty 41`
Henty 55`
Rajcevic 56`
Suler 79`

View attachment 250598

What a game! This game was nervous as ****! As it should be, since this is the biggest derby in Slovenian League. Henty was unstopable in Olimpija. At the end we left the pitch happier as Olimpija players. Our fans also showed us how happy they are. Unfortunately we lost Zahovic, meaning that our two best strikers are out for next 6 weeks.
View attachment 250597
You cant deny it, our fans have style!

Game 27

NK Rudar - NK Maribor
0 - 3

Mostarlic 44`
Maloca 55`
Kronaveter 83`

Mostarlic, our only striker started a game. He came into a club as reinforcment, but failed to show us something. Prior to this match he was with one leg out of the club. After the match, he was pronounced Player of the Match and he might even earn his 2nd season in NK Maribor. (his value is 3,7k€)

Game 28

NK Maribor - NK Domzale
2 - 0

Machado 15`
Machado 39`

Great game from Machado. This kinda performance was, what I expected when I bought him. His past lookes great and I think he will shine again.

View attachment 250590

We have secure Slovenian League title! With 20 points ahead and 6 game lef we cant get overtaken. Well done!

Slovenian Cup, Semi-finals, Game 1

NK Dravinja - NK Maribor
0 - 4

Machado 9`
Zahovic 40`
Kronaveter 67`
Mertelj 80`

Big win over third league team.

Slovenian Cup, Semi-finals, Game 2

NK Maribor - NK Dravinja
1 - 1

Caks 24`
Klemencic 61`

I was very impressed by what I have seen from my youngsters. In this game I gave a chance to those who didnt play alot and also to some U18 players.
The team looked like this:
GK: Kristijan Handanovic (16 years)
RB: Ales Mejac (32 years)
CD: Damjan Vuklisevic (19 years), Mark Kostic (15 years)
LB: Matjaz Ljubijankic (16 years)
DM: Amir Dervisevic (22 years)
CM: Dare Vrsic (30 years), Martin Kramaric (16 years)
RW: Damijan Bohar (23 years)
LW: Joze Klemencic (16 years)
ST: Luka Zahovic (18 years)

Also played: Dino Hotic (18 years), Igor Mostarlic (31 years), Franc Topic (15 years)
Note: Players in bold made their debut in this game.

We can be sure, that there are some great and very talented players coming into senior squad in future.

View attachment 250584

Players in:

Fernando Laurenco - free transfer

During whole season I hosted many players on trial(s) and no one until Laurenco showed that he is worth Maribors contract. Laurenco is 16 years old Attacking midfielder, but can also play Central midfielder or Right Wing. I am sure he will explode in the future.

Last edited:
End of brilliant season!

Here we are, at the end of fantastic season.
We have won everything that we could in Slovenia and achieved great result in Europe.

1. SNL

Game 31

NK Maribor - Koper FC
4 - 1

Maloca 24`
Sallalich 31`
Mejac 57`
Sallalich 65`
Petrovcic 81`
View attachment 248563

Easy win over Koper who were following us most of the season, but towards the end they broke down as we continued to "eat" everyone on our path.

Game 32

ND Gorica - NK Maribor
0 - 1

Marjanovic 55`

After I was declared as Slovenian champion, abot 8 games before season ended, I decided to give chance on the rest of the games to players who didnt play much. One of them, 18 years old Marjanovic proved as great talent and with goal of the round brought 3 points to Maribor.

Game 33

NK Maribor - NK Zavrc
3 - 1

Kis 23`
Marjanovic 29`
Sallalich 88`
Machado 93`
View attachment 248559

Not one of our best games. I gave chance to some youngsters, like: Cotman (20 years:GK), Marjanovic (18:LW), Hotic (19.DM), Kramaric (16:CM). We struggled with posession over whole game, but at the end we managed to break thru enemies defenses and score two goals.

Game 34

NK Radomlje - NK Maribor
1 - 1

Djurkovic 21`
Kramaric 57`

Just a draw with 10th, last team in league who managed to score only 22 points in whole season. Yes, I played with mostly youngsters, and they showed that in few years they will be great first team players. Great goal from Kramaric, who scored on his birthday (turned 17 years old on this day). Of others that play Klemencic (16:LW), Hotic (19.DM) and Cotman(20:GK) had a great day.

Game 35

NK Maribor - NK Celje
1 - 1

Brecl 13`
Zahovic 24`

Second draw in a row. Not one of best games, but as I played with backups as Slovenian Cup was 6 days away I am happy with what I have seen. Great game from Zahovic who returned from 6 weeks long injury. Assist from Klemencic and great job on goal from Cotman.

Game 36

NK Krka - NK Maribor
0 - 1

Sallalich 28`

Well played at the season end.

Slovenian Cup, Finals

Stadium Stozice
Spectators: 16.155

View attachment 248553

NK MARIBOR - NK DOMZALE

4 - 0

Filipovic 12`
Zahovic 34`
Zahovic 36`
Zahovic 65`
View attachment 248550

Here we are, at the most important game of the season. It was all about winning! Filipovic was the first, he opened Domzale "legs" and they didnt close until referee announced games end. Fantastic performance from my boys, especially young Zahovic who scored hatt trick and was constant danger for Slovenian national team goalkepper Vidmar who will remeber this day, as the day when he went into his own net for ball 4 times.
With this win we crowned our season, we managed to win Triple: Slovenian SuperCup, Slovenian League & Slovenian Cup. Great season from my boys, I am very proud!

View attachment 248549
Great win!

Last edited:
Lets look in the past!

Behind us is great season.
We have won everything that we aimed for.

Slovenian SuperCup
Slovenian Cup
Slovenian League

We also achieved great result in Europe. We managed to finish 3rd in Shampions League group, Group D in front of Athletic Bilbao and Behind Arsenal and Shakhtar Donetsk.
View attachment 248546

Later on we were relegated against Schalke in 1st knockout round of European League.

Overall I am really happy with this season and I can only hope that future seasons will be as good as this was.

Now lets look at players ups and downs of this season:

Ups:
- As a team we played on a high level.
- Great leadership from veteran Handanovic.
- Very important players as: Ibraimi, Sallalich, Mertelj, Filipovic and Maloca established themself as very good players and are allready hunted by half of Europe.
- Great 2nd half of season from Zahovic who will be our 1st striker choice next season.
- Affirmation of young players: Marjanovic, Curk, Dervisevic, Hotic, Cotman, Vuklisevic who established themself as very good backups and will have even bigger role next season.
- Breakout of young player Martin Kramaric who just turned 17. He played 4 games in league, scored 1 goal and had average rating of incredibile 7.30. In cup he played 3 games, score 1 goal and had an average rating of 6.80.
- Break out of young player Joze Klemencic who is 16 years old. He played 2 games in league, 1 assist and average rating 6,70. In cup he played 1 game with rating 6,60.

Downs:
- After great start into season, our captain Marcos Tavares froze. He scored 8 goals and added 9 assist(6 goals and 6 assist until January). He is not in my plans for next season.
- Andrea Mutombo: He was brought into club as reinforcement, but failed to meet requirements and will leave after season ends. Mutombo played 11 games and scored 2 goals with 1 assist.
- Matko Obradovic: experienced 24 years old goalkepper was meant to be backup for veteran Handanovic. he played 5 games, but made to much mistakes and was replaced by Cotman.

Summer Paradise!

After great season 2014/2015 it is time for season 2015/2016.
Lets hope that it will be somewhat simmilar to last season. All my players are 1 year older and I am more experienced.

Goals for the season are: Slovenian Champion, Winner of Slovenian Cup, Winner of Slovenian SuperCup and reaching group stage of Champions League!

Also I would like to keep my team in one piece, without selling my important players.

Enough chit-chat, lets start!
Season 2015/2016 is opened!

We will start with our trainings for new season less than a month after last season ending, with forst friendly on 20. of June.
Friendlies:

NK Maribor - NK Odranci
3 - 0

Bohar 60`
Ibraimi 73`
Vrsic 81`

For the first friendly we chose lokal Third league team Odranci. After very bad first half, we showed different face in second half and played great game.

NK Maribor - NK Pesnica
6 - 0

Suler 2`
Ibraimi 4`
Sallalich 12`
Zahovic 41`
Ibraimi 63`
Zahovic 75`
View attachment 242986

Second friendly was against fifth league team. Great show with some great passing from my wingers and great win.

NK Maribor - NK Krsko
2 - 0

Ibraimi 51`
Sauperl 83`

For our last friendly before SuperCup we played against 2. SNL team Krsko. Not such a great display from my team, at least young 18 years old Sauperl scored a goal.

SuperCup

NK Maribor - NK Domzale
3 - 0

Rajcevic 33`
Filipovic 59`
Sallalich 72`
View attachment 242985

In your Face! Great win from my players and SuperCup is where it belongs. In Maribor!

1. SNL

Game 1

NK Maribor - NK Domzale
3 - 0

Bohar 3`
Machado 7`
Sauperl 69`

Nice win! After 10 minutes it was allready 2 -0 and Sauperls goals was last piece of cake eaten by Maribor that day.

Game 2

Luka Koper FC - NK Maribor
1 - 5

Sallalich 14`
Sallalich 16`
Sallalich 17`
Rajcevic 46`
Pucko 51`
Sallalich 63`

Definetly the fastest hat-trick I have seen on football manager. Great game from Sallalich.

Game 3

NK Krka - NK Maribor
0 - 0

Bad show against 9th team last season. Some younger players were given a choice and they didnt use it.

Game 4

NK Maribor - NK Verzej
3 - 0

Bohar 18`
Tavares 79`
Tavares 88`

Good win against new team in first league. Two goals from Tavares, who may prove that he is still needed in this team.

Game 5

ND Gorica - NK Maribor
0 - 2

Suler 33`
Crnigoj 67`

Most expensive player ever bought by Maribor, Crnigoj has scored his first goal.

Game 6

NK Rudar Velenje - NK Maribor
0 - 0

Not a great show against Rudar.

Game 7

NK Triglav - NK Maribor
3 - 5

Sallalich 10`
Zahovic 18`
Geric 20`
Zahovic 31`
Geric 32`
Crnigoj 67`
Zahovic 68`
Bojic 84`

Goal fest against newbie in league. Our attack was great, with hat-trick from Zahovic on top! On other hand, our defense is leaking, and we need to fix it fast!

Champions League Qualifications, 2 round
Game 1

NK Maribor - KF Tirana
5 - 0

Sallalich 25`
Stojanovic 61`
Filipovic 68`
Turhani og 73`
Sallalich 91`

Great start into new European season!
View attachment 242967

Game 2

KF Tirana - NK Maribor
1 - 0

Qerimi 18`

Bad game from my youngsters! But we are promoted and that is what counts.

Champions League Qualifications, Round 2
Game 1

IFK Goteborg - NK Maribor
0 - 1

Bohar 28`

Solid win for my boys.

Game 2

NK Maribor - IFK Goteborg
1 - 1

Strada 16`
Ibraimi 20`

Nervous game but we made it! Proud on my boys.

Champions League Qualifications, Playoffs
Game 1

NK Maribor - Legia Warsaw
4 - 1

Rajcevic 12`
Sa 40`
Sallalich 52`
Zahovic 64`
Zahovic 66`
View attachment 242961

With this game we are one step into Champions league for sure. Lets hope that away goal, score by Sa wont burn us in game 2.

Game 2

Legia Warsaw - NK Maribor
2 - 3

Wytwicki 16`
Sallalich 22`
Dervisevic 65`
Sauperl 78`
Wytwicki 81`

Great job, although I gave chance to some younger players we managed to win.

Champions League Group Stage

Group B

1. Paris Saint-German
2. Liverpool
3. S.L. Benfica
4. NK Maribor

Well this sucks. Probably the worst possible draw. Well who cares, we are the underdogs in this group and any point collected would be a true steal. Our goal remain unchanged, despite strong opponents we are still aiming for 3rd position and European spring next season.

View attachment 242937

Players In:

Domen Crnigoj - 1.200.000€ (FC Luka Koper)
View attachment 242936

1.2m€! Biggest amount payed for one player by NK Maribor. Crnigoj will fight for CM positions with Mertelj and Machado! Adding that he is only 19 years old, he is and will be great player!

Blaz Poljanec - 700.000€ (NK Triglav)
View attachment 242935

Young, 19 years old central defender will be acting as backup for Maloca & Rajcevic.

Ivan Lendric - 350.000€ (NK Celje)
View attachment 242933

I am actually not sure why I bought this striker. Probably because he scored 19 goals for Celje last season. After few games I became sure that I made big mistake. Probably because I am inexperienced in this game I boght him and lets hope that this wont be away thrown money.

Marko Klemencic - 6.000€ (NK Tolmin)

Young, 18 years old central defender was bought after great shows in 2. SNL last season. He was immediately loaned back to Tolmin for the rest of the season.

Eiji Kawashima - free transfer
View attachment 242932

Probably the most experienced and world wide known player I signed this summer is Kawashima. Kawashima previously played more than 100 games for Kawasaki Frontale, 50 games for Lierse and more than 80 games for Standard Liege. He also played 60 games for Japan national team. With 32 years behind him he will push aour young team towards new challenges.

Antonio Pontes - free transfer

This young, 16 years old midfielder was signed for future.

Cameron McGeehan - 0€ (loan from Norwich)
View attachment 242928

This young, 20 years old midfielder was the last player to arrive. He will increase competition for centra midfield position and just in cease he show great plays, buy out clause has been set at 1.800.000€.

Players Out:

Dare Vrsic - 1.700.000 (FC Nantes)

View attachment 242924

Dare Vrsic was one of more important players from my squad, but has expressed wish to join Ligue 1 team FC Nantes and he was sold for nice amount of money.

Andrea Mutombo - 750.000 (FC Metalist Kharkov)
View attachment 242923

After dissapointing season, Mutombo has left NK Maribor to join Ukraine side FC Metalist.

Matko Obradovic - 200.000€ (GNK Dinamo Zagreb)
View attachment 242922
During only 1 season in Maribor, where he acted as 2. goalkepper, but then also lost this position against young Cotman he was sold without thinking after such a generous offer arrived in Maribor.

Ivan Lendric - loan (SC Cambour)
View attachment 242933

After he was given great amount of chances on friendlies, league and european games and he wasnt able to score he was loaned on last day of transfer market to Eredivisie side SC Cambour. SC Cambour also have buy out option worth 700.000€.

Rok Taneski - loan (Dob)
Robert Pusaver - loan (Sencur)
Vid Kobe Bjedov - loan (Radomlje)
Dejan Vokic - loan (Lokomotiva Zagreb)
Ed - loan (Triglav)
Martin Jarc - loan (Sencur)
Denis Bajalica - loan (HNK Gorica)
Ziga Zivko - loan (HNK Gorica)
Nik Lorbek - loan (NK Rudar Velenje)
Alen Ploj - loan (NK Osijek)
Ranko Moravac - loan (Slaven Belupo)
Igor Mostarlic - contract expired

All the players were loaned to teams where they are considered as first team or key players.

First eleven will loke like:

Zahovic

Ibraimi Sallalich

Mertelj Machado
Filipovic

Janza Maloca Rajcevic Stojanovic
Kawashima

Last edited:
I`ve been away for too long!

I am back.
I hope you missed me =)
Had to take my girl to summer vacation, but on her order computer was left behind ("One does not simply win an argue with a woman").
Well thats behind us, lets go back to our NK maribor post!

1. SNL

Game 8

NK Celje - NK Maribor
1 - 1

Machado 16`
Zitko 24`

First game in long, long time in 1. SNL that I was not in control of a game. Celje won possesion with 59%-41% and also won shots on goal with 6 versus 2. Maybe we are also lucky to win after all. Lets hope we will improve our performances until next game.

Game 9

NK Maribor - NK Olimpija Ljubljana
3 -2

Kous 5`
Bohar 35`
Zurej 47`
Kronaveter 65`
McGeehan 82`

We entered this game greatly decimated. We had two youngsters on bench, Klemencic(16 years) and Kramaric (17 years), the last even enterd the game in 73` minute. We played without injured Kawashima, Sallalich, Ibraimi, Maloca, Stojanovic and Filipovic from 1st squad and also Sauperl and Dervisevic were missing. McGeehan made debut from 1st minute.
It was an intense game, with alot of fouls and all together 8 yellow cards. Although we were behind after 2/3 of game, we managed to come back and even won at the end. Proud on my boys. Suck it Olimpija!
View attachment 228466
Our fans after great win in biggest derby!

Game 10

NK Domzale - NK Maribor
1 - 2

Poljanec 43` (og)
Poljanec 51`
Rajcevic 90`

Very nut game. My central defenders scoring all 3 goals, for both team. At least we won, in crushing minutes of a game.

Game 11

NK Maribor - NK Krka
3 - 1

Bohar 5`
Sauperl 32`
Krizaj 36`
Sauperl 89`

First start in this season for young Sauperl and allready 2 goals. Well done.

Game 12

NK Verzej - NK Maribor
2 - 2

Vinkovic 6`
Zahovic 8`
Erceg 56`
Zahovic 71`

Slip against newbie in league. Well at least Zahovic scored two times, maybe this means he will enter a better form in future.

Game 13

NK Maribor - ND Gorica
1 - 0

Machado 31`

Nervous game with our bogey opponent, ND Gorica. Well Machado scored for important 3 points!

Game 14

NK Rudar Velenje - NK Maribor
1 - 4

Sme 3`
Crnigoj 15`
Zahovic 49`
Zahovic 76`
Kronaveter 92`
View attachment 228464

Rudar took an early lead, but Crnigoj scored an amazing equalizer soon. That was all for first half, but we entered second half in complete offensive, scoring another 3 goals for a great victory.

Game 15

Nk Maribor - NK Celje
0 - 0

Only 4 days after a game versus Rudar we played local derby against Celje. A very bad game for us. I decided to play young 16 years old Fernando Laurenco, a very talented RW from first minute. Well he wont remember his debut as a good game. He left a pitch in 5` minute with ankle injury. Sauperl who also played from first minute got injured in 67`, he was replaced by young 10 years old Anel Hajric. It was his debut. Luckily he didnt got injured.

Game 16

NK Maribor - NK Triglav
1 - 0

Bohar 26`

Important victory, but again an injury blow for MAribor. We lost Stojanovic in 29` minute and Marjanovic in 80` minute.

Slovenian Cup, 2nd round

NK Maribor - NK Radomlje
0 - 2

Rep 25`
Cankar 88`

Well ****! Dont know what happened. I did not experimented with my team, it was standard rotation squad with two younger players Nemanic and Hotic (who is valued at 250k€). My players got complacement and underestimated strenght of last year 1.SNL team which got relegated to 2.SNL. Maybe my players will now find out, that there is no loosers in Slovenia. If you take opponents to easy, they will smash you.

Champions League, Group B

Game 1

NK Maribor - Paris Saint-Germain FC
0 - 2

Luiz 65`
Cavani 73`

We managed to hold on for 2/3 of a game. But at the end, Paris was just too strong for my players. Anyway I am proud on my team, they were a great pain in *** for Paris players.

Game 2

S.L. Benfica - NK Maribor
1 - 1

Jimenez 36`
Zahovic 50`

Well played! Important point and great game from my youngster, Luka Zahovic!

Game 3

NK Maribor - Liverpool FC
0 - 1

Yarmolenko 71`

View attachment 228447

Oh well at least we put a great fight. We didnt surrender until last whistle and we didnt got smashed by alot bigger team. Well done boys!

Game 4

Liverpool FC - NK Maribor
3 - 2

Machado 24`
Yarmolenko 47`
Zahovic 60`
Sturridge 74`
Sturridge 91`

View attachment 228443

Oh that Yarmolenko, Oh I so much hate you! We were so close to capturing a point on notorious Anfield Stadium. But it wasnt meant to be. Kawashima, who played maybe his best game in Maribor yersey mad a huge mistake in last breaths of game, handing a ball to Sturridge who scored easy goal in 91` minute. So close, but so far. Anyway I have seen a great fight from my players and I am proud on them!