No Good Nor Evil, Only Power and Those Too Weak to Seek It

Status
Not open for further replies.

plinie19

Reaction score
There is no good or evil in the world, only power and those too weak to seek it. A Southampton Story

Chapter 1 – From Unknown Ex-High School Player to Hot Seat Virtuoso

My playing career was short to say the least. While I had played the game for 14 years, I had lost my aspiration to continue playing at a higher level. My last game was played on February 17, 2008, in front of 500 fans at Lock hart Stadium in Ft. Lauderdale, FL. It was the semifinal of the State championship. A stage I was all too familiar with.

For three consecutive years my team made it to this point but no further. Two years ago, we didn’t have a winning record at the end of the season, 7-4-7, but a miraculous run throughout the playoffs meant a chance to be state champs. I was central to that run scoring 3 and providing 2 through a 3 game stretch. Injury depleted and far too young for the big time we fizzled out 1-0. The next year we had to go through our biggest rival, and in a game that would go into sudden death double overtime, it would again be I that provided the assist on the winning goal. This time we were healthy and experienced, but a draw against the best team in the state would be our undoing, we lost 3-0. The final game I played in was again in a semifinal. This time though we managed to comeback from 2 down to force OT, and under highly scrutinized refereeing we lost 3-2.

Now that my playing days were over I found myself with a hole that needed to be filled. Without the want to play I turned to coaching/managing. It took me four years to get all of my certifications, but I had done it Now, I needed to find a job.

My dream had been to manage in England. I knew it was a long shot, but I needed to try to ease my own mind. This team had a 10 point deduction to start the campaign and the board was looking for someone who could lead the charge.

When I met with the chairman he told me flat out that despite the points deduction he still expected us to win the league, no if ands or buts. I told him that if he hired me, not only would we win the league, but I would have them in the Premiership in 4 years, maximum. I knew he liked that right away. His smile grew and his eyes started to glow like a kid who just found out he was getting a puppy.

As I left his office I was fairly confident that I was going to get a call from him very soon. As I exited the building my phone rang.

“Mr. Gainza?”

“This is him.”

“Hello, this is Markus Liebherr. I want to officially offer you the manager position here at Southampton.”

“I’ll take it!”

“Thank you very much, Mr. Gainza. You’ll start next week.”

Saints_logo_2010.PNG

Status
Not open for further replies.