when you say wingers are useless do you mean the role 'winger' or playing players in wide positions ?

If I were to ever create a tactic based on the 4-4-2,it's more likely to be moulded around stability defensively and good counter-attacking football.

I find it really hard to make a good attacking 4-4-2 without being exposed and going down 2-0,3-0 by half time.

I achieved a bit of success with the 4-4-2 with Millwall but went on to pursue success with the 4-2-3-1.

Come to think of it, my only tactics with wingers are the ***** ones which I don't use...

if you play 4-4-2 both your MC's need to be battleaxes, even your attacking one. they need to have good strength, positioning, work rate stamina, as they have to work hard. also you want one of you wingers attacking inside, with the fullback going wide around him

4-4-2,really the best way to get a tactic that has the 4-4-2 formation is to play on the counter with both MR and ML as Wingers attack,One CM as an Advanced Playmaker and one CM as a sort of Ball-Winner or DM and one of your strikers as a Deep-Lying forward

Maybe one of your MR or Ml cuttinng in and then asking your full-back to overlap,that will overload the opposing flanks and get crosses in the box.I have also found it well to have one of my CM as a central Midfielder-Attack simply as then he will tend to get in the box quite alot

A creator-destroyer partnership in the midfield benefits the 4-4-2.

4-4-2 tactics are too rigid and old in real life it shows they do not work anymore ;)
4-2-3-1, 4-5-1, 4-3-3 ETC are the way forward

The reason in my view is that in FM, crossing seems pretty pointless, the 4 main attributes of most centrebacks are heading,marking,jumping and strength, meaning crosses get fired into the box all the time but nothing comes of them.

Thats because 4-4-2 sucks, its old school and does not work anymore, no protection in front of the defence and not enough support for the strikers. Along with the fact that crosses into the box are a waste of time on Football Manager unless you have Zigic and Crouch up front lol. I use a 4-2-3-1 formation with 3 AMC players behind Ibrahimovic, it works amazing but then the players I have are insane lol.
How does 4-4-2 suck?? Tottenham play it, Man City play it, Man utd play it sometimes, Uruguay got to the world cup semis using it, seriously your lack of knowledge scares me.

How does 4-4-2 suck?? Tottenham play it, Man City play it, Man utd play it sometimes, Uruguay got to the world cup semis using it, seriously your lack of knowledge scares me.
dont feed the troll

Well the 4-4-2 is about the most basic tactic you can find on any team. **** pick a bunch of guys and play league football, playing 4-4-2 with your team would be the easiest since theres nothing much complicated.

And honestly i think its a real challenge making a 4-4-2 tactic similar to any team in real life.im using the 4th tactic now and its pretty unstable. :( i cant use single striker formations since a tactic should revolve around the team and not the other way around. And my widemen are just too precious to let go of.

4-4-2 is outdated...and has become obsolete....Find me a top European nation, or a national country that has been successful...and doesn't play a variation of 4-5-1, or 4-1-2-1-2..or something.....The key to most teams now is the inclusion of an anchor man, or a deep-lying playmaker.....both different....the first is fletcher and the second is scholes.....

Ciao...x ;)

So how do you play with a team, which has at least 3 good first team strikers, 4 good wingers, 3 strong central midfielders then?

4-4-2 is outdated...and has become obsolete....Find me a top European nation, or a national country that has been successful...and doesn't play a variation of 4-5-1, or 4-1-2-1-2..or something.....The key to most teams now is the inclusion of an anchor man, or a deep-lying playmaker.....both different....the first is fletcher and the second is scholes.....

Ciao...x ;)
you should read jonathan wilsons views on this, before making such sweeping comments

---------- Post added at 03:10 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:08 AM ----------

So how do you play with a team, which has at least 3 good first team strikers, 4 good wingers, 3 strong central midfielders then?
an unothordox 4-4-2. to the play the modern 4-4-2, your band of midfield 4 must be intelligent players first and foremost. imtalking abot good stats in decisions, creativity, flair. but also good stats in team work, work rate, decent anticipation

I have made a 4-4-2 tactic for my Man Utd team and had won everything in the first season with 98 points, 98 goals scored and 30 goals conceded, which isn't really that bad considering that I never brought any players into my first team (first season). The only problem with my tactic is that it seems harder for the team to perform in away European games but I always tend to be able to settle the tie at home.

Mine is 4-4-2, Max's is, there seems to be quite alot tbh.