Nolan Calls For Change To Appeal System

Cal.

≡
Reaction score
What's the point in having these appeals because there's no way in the world that was a red card... we've got to change the system because that is not right. He didn't touch the player, the lad's even said he didn't touch him, and I think everyone who's looked at it has agreed it's not a sending-off and it's not a red card, so how has he still got a three-game ban. We're going to lose arguably one of our best players of the season, if not the best player of our season, because of a mistake by a referee.
http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11678_6660486,00.html

Thought this would make a decent thread, what do you think about the way the appeal system works and how referees are generally backed regardless of their decision?

For example Tioté's sending off was a very clean tackle, didn't touch the player but looked aggressive, he got a red card which wasn't overturned on appeal, yet De Jong got away with a dangerous scissoring challenge (breaking Ben Arfa's leg) and the FA did sweet FA because the referee made his own decision at the time. Probably not best to pick Newcastle related examples...

Although I haven't seen Tiote's tackle , I still agree that the Appeal System overall is a complete joke!
The other player has come out and said there was no contact , so how the **** can the FA still say it was worthy of a red!

im personally a fan of the appeal system in cricket - if the umpire makes a decision the player deems as wrong they can appeal it to the third umpire to possibly overturn the decision while the game is being played.

i think itd be interesting to see a similar sort of appeal rule in football, although looking at how the goalside officials have panned out then itd probably be useless anyway.

Whether he touched the player or not is irrelevant. There was clearly intent from Tiote's part. It was a two-footed lunge, at the player, not the ball...in my view that's a clear red card.
Just to be clear, I'm not defending the appeal system.

Whether he touched the player or not is irrelevant. There was clearly intent from Tiote's part. It was a two-footed lunge, at the player, not the ball...in my view that's a clear red card.

One footed, at the ball too.

Last edited:

If there was clearly intent, and he lunged two footed at the player, then why did he not only win the ball, but the player he 'fouled' later agreed it was a legit tackle and little if any contact was made?

Appeal system has always been a joke, like most things to do with the FA.