Club Season 2018/2019: European Redemption

After last season's loss in the Champions League final, European football once again provided great entertainment in San Marino. Things didn't start the best way for the Titani though:

View attachment 381796View attachment 381797

We couldn't qualify from our CL group as we finished third with same points as second placed Real Madrid. I have to say we were handed an ultra tough group that featured CL holders Real Madrid and a superb Porto team that actually won the group easily (we did beat Porto 4-0 at home in the only game they didn't win). Very disappointing, but at least our European journey would continue in the lesser Europa League.

View attachment 381794View attachment 381793View attachment 381792

And what a fantastic journey! Easy wins against D.Moscow and S.Donetsk were only the prelude to dramatic showdowns against continental powerhouses like Arsenal and Atletico Madrid. We managed an epic win against the Gunners as we fought hard to turn around a 0-2 loss in first leg - we are always amazing at the San Marino Stadium!

The final against Bayer Leverkusen was also quite dramatic: in a very even match both teams played hard as we dominated first half only to struggle for the rest of the game. I was already planning penalty kickers' order as extra times were running out but at minute 120 (!) young legend Tobia Maccioni dives in the penalty area and wins a very dubious penalty kick! Adnan Januzaj confidently steps up, having scored all his five PK attempts this season... and he MISSES... but he stays with it and scores on the rebound! A well deserved title for San Marino after the CL disappointments, and a great way for Adnan to seal an amazing season for him and the club.​

Serie A 2018/2019

League & Cup Results

View attachment 381285View attachment 381286View attachment 381287View attachment 381288

A dominating Serie A campaign for San Marino as the Titani killed the league en route to their third consecutive Serie A title. It was never close really, with San Marino easily boasting best offence and best defence in the league, as well as setting a new record for points in a single season. We missed the Treble as we once again suffered a very unlucky loss in the Italian Cup final against Juventus. We actually dominated the match but conceded three goals form corner kick to eventually succumb after extra times. Still no luck with that elusive Italian Cup...

It was a very productive season for many of our players, with four Titani joining Serie A Team Of The Year thanks to our well-balanced attacking style in the new strikerless formation (courtesy of TFF9's AWESOMEZILLA tactic).

My Honorable Mentions for the year:

Adnan Januzaj: San Marino's most expensive player ever lived up to the expectations in his first full season with the club. Adnan was the Titani's top scorer with 22 goals overall (including 16 in serie A), playing in any of the front four positions and leading San Marino to a fantastic Double, also scoring the dramatic winner in the EL final. Won Serie A Foreign POY and was Fans POY as well. #TheMagician

Tobia Maccioni:
it's always Maccioni. Tobia was again a key member of this successful San Marino side, scoring 12 goals in 39 matches while also being the club's main playmaker. Man Of The Match of the EL final (as he scored a goal and won a crucial penalty), Maccioni was once again selected for Serie A Team Of The Year and at only 21 he's already regarded as an Icon for the club. A legend in the making. #SanMaccioni

Fernando Tobio:
in his second season with the club Tobio became the undisputed leader of the back line, often seen as an ideal role model for our many young defenders. A first choice centre back for Argentina, Tobio did well to overcome a serious injury that marred his first season at the club and is now regarded as one of the top defenders in the world. #TheRock

Mirco Veronesi: in his first season as a regular first team player, Sammarinese golden boy Veronesi responded well with 13 goals and 10 assists in 29 starts for the club, also sporting a more than adequate average rating of 7.28. Mirco isn't quite yet the goal hunter I want (need) him to be but had a good season considering the expectations of a demanding San Marino side, and that he didn't turn 20 until the end of the season. I'm confident Mirco can take it to the next level and become one of the best strikers in the world, I know he has the quality and he's... #Paolone2.0

Next post with a special Veronesi Watch update and the ever going Alessandro Paolone comparison!

The Veronesi Watch: Year 2019 Or Becoming Alessandro Paolone

It's been a promising season for San Marino legend in the making Mirco Veronesi

View attachment 380487View attachment 380486View attachment 380485

In his first full time season as a first team player Mirco amassed 33 appearances for the club - including 29 starts - and scored 13 goals - 11 in 27 Serie A matches - mostly playing as a Shadow Striker in our experimental strikerless formation. It was a good season for the young striker, who saw ample playing time for a team that dominated Serie A and won Europa League. Finally free from minor injuries, Mirco also found time to play well for the NT, also beating Andy Selva and Alessandro Venerucci's record of total goals scored for the country - a spectacular 10 goals...

With all the first team action and development it looks like Veronesi is now close to fulfill his potential (only has a half star to fulfill according to my assistant manager), I'm confident he can still improve a little bit though.

Veronesi has started season 2019/2020 in impressive way both at club and international level, trying his best to unleash his inner Alessandro Paolone. As we approach the winter break, and with Veronesi turning 20 last April, it's a good time to take a deeper look at his career development and the eternal Paolone comparison.

View attachment 380481View attachment 380484View attachment 380480

Well Veronesi certainly improved A LOT since he first came up through the youth ranks, not only for his new, cool hairstyle! I also didn't realize I've wasted so much PA on his corner kick skills, seems such a waste though actually I'm pretty sure I never trained him for corners... Nonetheless Veronesi has developed into a versatile, complete striker with good all around skills to go with his natural elite athleticism. His low Natural Fitness is and always will be a concern, and probably the reason for the occasional string of mnor injuries.

As you can see Mirco has been in excellent form in this first half of 2019/20: 17 goals in 18 matches for the club, though these numbers are slightly inflated by a couple of CL thrashing against Salzburg and a couple of hat tricks against Serie A minnows. The 7 goals in 6 matches for the NT are particularly impressive as Mirco regularly found the net against tough competition (Austria, Northern Ireland) and now boasts a healthy international tally of 18 goals in 35 matches.

And obviously the Alessandro Paolone comparison goes on: watching their development at the same age I'm more and more convinced that Veronesi is the better prospect. As noted previously Paolone was a better finisher and a more natural goal hunter as he simply lived to score goals. Mirco has better all-around skills and more developed mental attributes (I also like his 'Important Matches' strength according to reports). I still see lots of similarities in their game, and I guess it's no coincidence actually:

View attachment 380483View attachment 380482

Yeah for some reason they share exactly the same set of PPM's at this point... It's fair to say it's all part of my 'Recreating Alessandro Paolone' obsession... though it wasn't exactly planned! Both had 'Knocks ball past opponents' from the start - and it's a joy to watch when Mirco sprints past his defender - the other moves were learnt via tutoring as that's how I like to morph my star strikers! Beating the offside trap is apparently very hard to do for strikers in FM14 though, while it was so easy for Paolone back in the FM12 days...

Feel free to express your preference: who you got? Veronesi or Paolone? Vote now ;)

Last edited:
For
Veronesi, do you train him by role or specific attributes? If by role which one?!

For
Veronesi, do you train him by role or specific attributes? If by role which one?!

with Veronesi I alternated Poacher and Trequartista role training as I wanted him to be some kind of 'creative poacher' or 'scoring trequartista'. I also gave him periods of 'dribbling' specific training when I felt it wasn't improving enough for my tastes as I like my strikers to be decent dribblers - still hope to get his dribbling around 15. Trequartista training would be perfect for my idea of striker if it had focus on dribbling.

When you see his great improvements you have to consider he was a high PA prospect from the start, rated as wonderkid at 18. Also I gave him multiple tutoring (from mentors with resolute/determined/professional personality) so that he could get a strong personality thus ensuring he would fulfill his potential. Tutoring and personality are very important when developing youngsters. Ample playing time with first team and high quality facilities and coaching staff also helped his development.

I'm quite happy with Veronesi's development. Only things I'd change are those PA points going wasted for corner kicks and marking (tackling could be somewhat useful even for strikers) though I never really wanted to train those areas in first place...

National Team: Year 2019

With the club enjoying massive success in recent years the NT keeps improving as well though obviously at much slower pace:

View attachment 378501View attachment 378500View attachment 378499View attachment 378498

A promising year for SMNT despite another last place in our EURO qualifying group. We managed some impressive results though, with a convincing 4-1 win against Northern Ireland and a crazy, unlucky 4-5 defeat against second placed Austria. Our 'Asian Tour' to finish the year was also a success, with dominating away performances against Asian minnows - teams we struggled to beat in recent years though. San Marino's 125th place in World Ranking at the end of 2019 is also a new all-time best for the National Team. It's nice to see that the NT now plays home games at the new San Marino Stadium.

Famous wonderkid Mirco Veronesi was simply amazing throughout the year. The striker carried his excellent club form even at international level, scoring 9 goals in 10 games for the country and leading the NT with remarkable individual displays. Mirco was able to create goals from nowhere, even against very tough competition like Austria and Russia.

Contrary to Sammarinese tradition the NT currently boasts a group of very promising attackers and playmakers: Veronesi, M.Cervellini, Fabbri, L.Poggiali all have quality to be good/great players not only for the NT but for Serie A standard as well. Other decent attackers - a couple of left wingers plus a striker - provide a surprisingly adequate depth for SM standard.

Defence on the other hand is quite awful at the moment, with full backs being particularly shocking - and I mean San Marino shocking (the excellent left back with dual nationality is still rejecting the call-up). Still very hard to keep scores on the low side against half-decent European teams.

After a spectacular 2019 class, bad news came from latest youth intake: not only it was quite average (with a couple of fully Italian youngsters being the best prospects) but it has now become a rule that ANY dual nationality prospect - even the hopeless ones - are rejecting the San Marino call-up as they hope to play for Italy someday. I guess it's related to PA and/or club reputation. NOW it feels like the old times... oh well I have Veronesi, don't care much about the rest!​

Last edited:
Followed you 2 years ago, and saw your name popped today (didn't see your story before this year..).

World cup is now your limit !! :D

Do you develop San Marinese european coefficient or Italian ?
How other san marinese clubs are doing ?

Cheers and good luck !

Followed you 2 years ago, and saw your name popped today (didn't see your story before this year..).

World cup is now your limit !! :D

Do you develop San Marinese european coefficient or Italian ?
How other san marinese clubs are doing ?

Cheers and good luck !

thanks mate, I remember you from the old story :)

yeah I had to take a long break from FM last december so the story has been in stand by for a few months!

we're in Italian league system so it's the italian coefficient as well. As a club we're now the most reputable club in Italy and one of the most reputable in Europe (we have Worldwide reputation atm).

I don't have San Marino league active in my game as I always start my save before custom leagues come out, nonetheless the Sammarinese League has made lots of progress in league rankings in my game through the years. Not sure if it's already top 100 in world competitions, will look at that and update at the end of the season :)

The Veronesi Watch: Breaking Bad

Sammarinese wonderkid Mirco Veronesi finally enjoying a legit breakthrough season in 2019/20. The young striker is scoring for fun especially after the Christmas break, also finding new ways of making history for the club:

View attachment 377949View attachment 377950

Already the youngest goalscorer for the club (at age 16), Mirco set a new record for fastest goal both for San Marino and Serie A as he punished league contenders Napoli after only 10 seconds (he went on to score a hat-trick). With these kind of performances Veronesi has now beaten Fausto Rossini's record of 29 goals in a season (set in 2013/2014 in Serie C1), currently boasting 31 goals in 33 appearances. And still counting...

My efforts to make Veronesi a reliable goal hunter are finally starting to pay off! It's fair to say many aspects of my tactics are designed to favor Mirco's scoring form... I even set him as penalty kick taker and main target for corner kicks despite his below average skills in those areas. I'm also very pleased to see Mirco occasionally 'stealing' goals from teammates and playing with a healthy dose of selfishness - which is good for a striker. It's almost like Veronesi understands that I want him to play this way...

While the comparison with the legendary Alessandro Paolone is always present, Veronesi now has somewhat of a 'real' rival in Modena's striker Luciano Andreini:

View attachment 377930View attachment 377928

Andreini is really an excellent young striker. At same age as Veronesi and with similar skill sets - and both wearing the No.9 shirt - they're arguably the hottest young stars in Serie A. Andreini won the European Golden Boy award last December - beating our own Veronesi in the final shortlist - and is currently leading Serie A with 28 goals playing for a mid-table Modena side - Veronesi is 2nd with 23 goals. Too many second places for Mirco if you ask me, though he did win the direct match-up:

View attachment 377925

Mirco scored a brace in a narrow 2-1 win against Modena (a match we dominated but we struggled to finish so many chances) though Andreini also scored a total fluke to consolidate his Top Scorer status. Season isn't over yet though, still a few games for Mirco to try and win the Capocannoniere title.

I remember I considered buying Andreini a couple of years ago but decided against as I had other young attackers to develop - including Veronesi of course - and at the time was leaning towards strikerless formations. Andreini has since joined Valencia - only playing for their youth team - before Modena splashed an impressive 10M euros to make him their first choice striker this season. Andreini is still a very intriguing young striker, and I somewhat enjoy this rivalry with Veronesi. Wouldn't mind to see them playing together someday though... we'll see...​

Gonna slowly read this from the start and take some tips :p

Ah Uber, I always hope to see your San Marino story :)

I've been very lazy with updates recently, I've already finished the season (went REALLY well) though I've lost interest in the save as I'm at the point where I've won everything with the club, and we are the richest/most popular club in the world... but the NT is still far behind, I have very few Serie A caliber SM players that I can hope to use at the club, and the new recruits have started rejecting the call up for the NT... I still love managing the NT but the club has become quite boring for me now...

I'll try to post season update and a recap soon, and of course a Veronesi watch update though right now I feel I'm done with this save :p

I demand a SM story by Ubernisation at least for FM15!

Yeah it does get boring once you hit the heights with the club cause then you're basically just grinding through- I used to just put it on holiday for most of the season! Haha we'll see! If I'm not too busy I'll try to do a lslow pace one so I don't burn out! Looking for another challenge to do in my spare time at the moment!

Yeah it does get boring once you hit the heights with the club cause then you're basically just grinding through- I used to just put it on holiday for most of the season! Haha we'll see! If I'm not too busy I'll try to do a lslow pace one so I don't burn out! Looking for another challenge to do in my spare time at the moment!

I wanted to keep a slow pace as well, I even threw a couple of (very good) SM prospects straight into first team at 18... though in the end we've won EVERY single league we entered from 2013 to 2020, except first year in serie A when we still managed 3rd place. All this without having a clue about match engine XD

Honestly it's hard to keep a decent level of interest this way...

I've tried a MLS save (bugged, and won everything first season), an A-league save (but Wellington can't qualify for ACL, thus making my NZ dream useless) and now a Brazil save (a challenge with Palmeiras with strict/stupid signing rules...) but can never go long term. I think after my FM12 effort with SM it's hard to find a decent challenge... maybe Liechtenstein in FM15...

Ah right, yeah I am putting San Marino to side for a little bit for sure! I have started a game with Gateshead where the idea is I can only sign 1 first team player and 1 youth team player per year, and apart from that have to use my academy and such! It's actually quite fun because you really get to know your players and have to make tactics to suit what you've got, rather than just picking your favourite tactic and getting the players to fit it! I've used a flat front 3 for the first time ever in this game, and am now using a narrow controlling diamond, which I would never really consider before!

Ah right, yeah I am putting San Marino to side for a little bit for sure! I have started a game with Gateshead where the idea is I can only sign 1 first team player and 1 youth team player per year, and apart from that have to use my academy and such! It's actually quite fun because you really get to know your players and have to make tactics to suit what you've got, rather than just picking your favourite tactic and getting the players to fit it! I've used a flat front 3 for the first time ever in this game, and am now using a narrow controlling diamond, which I would never really consider before!

sounds great! right now I'm playing my Palmeiras save, and my rules are I can only sign and play players who have Italian ancestry (there are a few in brazil and south america) as a tribute to the club's Italian roots and history. With Palmeiras starting in second division and the crazy brazilian schedule (non-stop action from january to december between Sao Paulo state league, national league and cups...) it's a decent challenge :)

I still demand your San Marino story for FM15!

Any of you guys tried doing a Gibraltar challenge? Would be even harder / longer than a San Marino one due to the club being Amateur

sound fun can you ever go pro?

Yeah, just got to raise enough money.. Winner of the league gets to go through to Champs League qualifier and domestic cup winner Europa League qualifiers.. I don't know how much money you will have to generate to get to professional status, but the option is greyed out as the start if you go to board requests and says the club cannot afford to change professional status

Yeah, just got to raise enough money.. Winner of the league gets to go through to Champs League qualifier and domestic cup winner Europa League qualifiers.. I don't know how much money you will have to generate to get to professional status, but the option is greyed out as the start if you go to board requests and says the club cannot afford to change professional status
might give it a go were can i get the db from