Not sure why i didn't qualify?

wyggie

Reaction score
View attachment 195135

So i start a new season as PSG, things are going pretty abysmally in the league but my EURO cup progress seems to be making up for it. That is until i come third in my group despite having better goal difference (when you include the goals scored factor) than the two teams above me.

I can't see why i'm not top of the group, nevermind why i didn't qualify at all.

Because of the results between you and the 2 teams at the top. The 2 teams at the top have (probably) had a higher goal margine against you, than you against them. Only thing I can think off.

Good point, although after having a look that isn't the case...

Porto beat me 3-0 then we drew 3-3.
I beat Napoli 3-1 then we drew 0-0.

Let me see a screenshot of your results and we'll see if it can be narrowed down.

Good point, although after having a look that isn't the case...

Porto beat me 3-0 then we drew 3-3.
I beat Napoli 3-1 then we drew 0-0.

The Porto one is legit, due to them having scored 6 goals against you, and you only scored 3 against them.

However, I do not understand the Napoli one.

It's not done on goal difference, head to head records take priority over goal difference.

hang on, with the head to head results, you edged out on Napoli, Porto edged out on you, but Napoli edged out on Porto so... I can't work it out, but that must be something to do with it!

The only thing I can see is the fact you conceded more goals than the other 2. Your head to head with Napoli, works out the same as Napoli's against Porto, so the goals conceded is the only real reason I can see to you being put out. Porto's head to head with you is greater than the other two head to heads, i.e. one more goal scored by Porto than in the others.

i hope this clears up any confusion

head to head you all picked up 5 points, and your head to ehad goal difference shows that porto are top with 1, napoli second with 0 and PSG third with -1.

this table shows the goal head to head goal difference. the red numbers in the table show the goal difference for the home team from each match.
porto

psg

napoli

Home
Total

porto

x

psg

x

napoli

x

Away
Total

taking the data from this table we can form this table: the first column is the team name, second column is the goal difference in that team's favour from teh home matches, the third column is the goal difference in that teams favour from their away matches and the last column is the total goal difference. Please Bear In Mind this only takes into account the head to head matches as they are the only ones that count.

porto

psg

napoli

as you can see Porto top the group with a H2H GD of 1
Napoli come second with a H2H GD of 0
and PSG come third in the group with a H2H GD of -1

unfortunately for wyggie, despite seemingly having the same record if not better then the other 2 sides he came third in the group.

Last edited:
Good to know, I thought head to head was purely points based, and afterwards went straight to overall GD.

Ah i see, i thought it would've been purely points based as well!

I'm still annoyed though! Napoli, pfft.