Fusershift

Reaction score
In my Everton save I'm rocking a 4-2-3-1. And at times it feels like my players aren't really connecting and some are too far behind play. So I've come hear to ask if I should make any tweaks to my tactic. Or could it be that I'm panicking for no reason? I'm using the attacking mentality and flexible team shape with whipped crosses as my only instruction.
View attachment 263143

The if, attacker and am are all occupying the same space, while on the right the winger and wing back usually can be in a similar situation.

Also there is no cover on that flank, the ap - s doesnt track back.

The if, attacker and am are all occupying the same space, while on the right the winger and wing back usually can be in a similar situation.

Also there is no cover on that flank, the ap - s doesnt track back.

How would you go about making sure they don't occupy the same space?

Who in particular do you feel isn't keeping up with play?

I started a new save with Everton, using the same setup as you and as close to your 11 as I could, imo.

Howard - GK (different, but not critical)
Coleman - DR (close to Peruzzi as far as PPMs too)
Stones - DCR
Jagielka - DCL (different, but not critical)
Baines - DL
Gibson - MCR (Not sure how he compares to Bielik)
McCarthy - MCL
Mirallas - AMR
Osman - AMC (Barkley is injured for 5 months, so he's the next best option)
Pienaar - AML (Not sure how he compares to Bruma)
Lukaku - ST

Now I watched 10 minutes on full (something I highly recommend anyone doing in their own saves) and I didn't see the disconnect you're talking about. It may be down to my starting line-up vs yours though.

What I did pick up, was that 3 of the front 4 all wanted to get into the same space. Lukaku started up front, drops a little off the D-Line and then bursts forward. The AM/A wants to do something similar. He's already deep, but he's looking to burst forward. He doesn't get far, because Lukaku is in his space. The IF/S on the left has a similar issue. Pienaar has the Gets Into Opposition Area PPM and he actually does that at times when Lukaku drops deep.

I then swapped the wingers, so Mirallas was the IF/S and Pienaar the W/A. Mirallas didn't fare well here. He made the occasional run, like Pienaar with his PPM did, but mostly he stayed deep. When he received the ball, he tried to cut into space where the AMC and ST already was.

Watching more of the match, I started to see a disconnect at times. It's when the AM/A (in line with his duty) made runs forward to join the ST, but the 2 midfielders were deep. The W/A stays high and wide and the IF/S wide and deep-ish.

Partly, your Team Shape isn't helping, imo. Flexible puts more of an emphasis on duties. Defend duties will have a slightly lower than "normal" mentality for them. Attacking duties will have a slightly higher mentality than "normal". I think this is causing a bigger divide than normal. Changing it will help, but it won't get rid of the problem completely.

I think your biggest issue is the AM. The 4-2-3-1 relies on the AM a lot. With the setup you have, I don't think you're getting the best out of him. Get him right and you'll have a much better system, imo. At the moment (and I'm talking about what I saw with Osman, so compare that to what you're seeing with Barkley) there are 2 scenarios.

1 - The AMC receives deep. Lukaku has dropped into space, but is still far ahead. The more logical pass would be to the wing, but the W/A is as advanced and wide. The AML is very wide too.

2 - The AMC receives high (this happens often) but only has a straight pass ahead to Lukaku (often with 2 defenders on him) or the W/A who is very wide. The IF/S is too deep to be an option.

You'd need to tweak and watch the games. You have different styles in one here and it's not working.

- The AM/A bursting forward could be an option in a counter attacking system. Lukaku might still be in his way though. For Lukaku, either a support duty or asking him to roam would help.

- I've seen occasions where the AMC stays in the AM strata (when Lukaku "blocks" him) and this worked quite well. He's deep enough to connect with the two midfielders and he's allowing Lukaku to drop deep and even the IF/S to cut inside with the ball. I didn't watch that much, but Lukaku's movement wasn't good enough. It may be an option (if you're having that issue) to ask him to roam, to create space for the AMC, the IF/S or even himself.

-----

I'd suggest a more conservative role for the AMC. Either a support duty or as a Trequartista/Enganche. You're compressing the AMC and ST into each other.

Unfortunately, I can't tell you what'll work best here. I'd actually try the Enganche first.

PS. Are you happy with Lukaku's role?

Last edited:
I've already seen the difference with three simple tweaks to the tactic. I ought to get better at reading the game though as I struggle quite a lot with that. Anyway, I'd just like to thank you WJ.

I've already seen the difference with three simple tweaks to the tactic. I ought to get better at reading the game though as I struggle quite a lot with that. Anyway, I'd just like to thank you WJ.
What did you change in the end?

A lot of people say they struggle but it's not that difficult to spot issues. You spotted it yourself as well. :) I spotted yours by watching about 15mins of a full match.

The trick is in knowing what to do to fix the issues. :D

What did you change in the end?

A lot of people say they struggle but it's not that difficult to spot issues. You spotted it yourself as well. :) I spotted yours by watching about 15mins of a full match.

The trick is in knowing what to do to fix the issues. :D

I changed the striker to a CF on support, the AM to a trequartista and the team shape to fluid.

I changed the striker to a CF on support, the AM to a trequartista and the team shape to fluid.
And you're happy with that? My first thought was that there will be a lack of runs made by everyone except the W/A. The Trequartista will drift around so he's probably the dangerman now?