sykes51

Reaction score
Hi everyone - long-term player, medium-term story reader, first time poster here!

I've loved reading other people's stories recently so I have decided to take the plunge and give it a go myself...

Being a Nottingham Forest fan (originally from Nottingham and now in Hamilton, New Zealand) there was only one option for the first story - the mighty Reds. I downloaded the most recent transfer update I could find, did a little tinkering (positions more than anything) and scoured the web for the most appropriate tactic I could find. I settled on 'Steaton's Total Annihilation' 4231 tactic as I thought it would suit the Forest squad well (attacking full backs, creative midfielders, genuine wingers and a strong centre forward)... Finger crossed I've made a good choice here as it has started well for me!

My first job was to assess the squad and see who could go and who needed to be brought in. I was pretty happy with the squad as a whole but decided that two key areas to improve were the GK situation and a new, solid LB. Karl Darlow has recently been sold to Newcastle (but loaned back for the season) so I decided that a quality GK was required. I settled on the well known Tomasz Kuszczak who's stats were very good for the Championship and was still young enough at 31 to build a team around for a couple of seasons at least.

I then searched through team lists and scout reports for quite a while in the aim of finding a young, talented LB who I believed could provide competition for my established full backs (Danny Fox, Eric Lichaj, Dan Harding) and maybe progress to being a solid Premier League player in a couple of years. This is what I found:

View attachment 333146

As you can imagine, I was absolutely stoked - even if he did cost me 2.5m! Superb dribbling and crossing abilities along with solid defensive skills too. I think that this guy can slot straight in as my first choice LB!

Due to finding Nicolas, I decided to let Dan Harding leave permanently. He moved to Charlton for 215k and I also let a couple of youngsters go out on loan. My transfer dealings for the first half of the summer can be seen below:

View attachment 333145

Nothing too exciting but I felt that the squad as a whole was ready to challenge for the Championship - as long as the early part of the season went well. The first team squad can be seen below:

View attachment 333144 View attachment 333143

On this note I was very happy with pre-season. The boys were working hard on their fitness in training and the friendlies passed by without any major hitches (losses or injuries). 5 wins and a draw showed that they were working well together and the tactic seemed to be working well too:

View attachment 333142

So far, so good... I have played the first two league games and the first round of the League Cup but will be updating this story on a month by month basis. I hope people are looking forward to how I go!

Cheers, Andy

So, after a reasonably straightforward pre-season we reached the start of the season proper. I'll be splitting each month into the following structure:

MATCH RESULTS
STATISTICS
PLAYER OF THE MONTH

So, here goes!

MATCH RESULTS

Saturday 3rd August 2013 - Sky Bet Championship
Nottingham Forest 3 : 0 Huddersfield
(Britt Assombalonga 46; Michail Antonio 51; Michael Mancienne 86)

Tuesday 6th August 2013 - Capital One Cup First Round
Bury 1 : 7 Nottingham Forest
(Britt Assombalonga 7, 45+1, 50, 53, 87; Michail Antonio 26; Robert Tesche 48)

Saturday 10th August 2013 - Sky Bet Championship
Blackburn Rovers 3 : 4 Nottingham Forest
(Chris Burke 3; Jamie Paterson 22; Dexter Blackstock 45+1; Henri Lansbury 84)

Saturday 17th August 2013 - Sky Bet Championship
Nottingham Forest 1 : 0 Bolton Wanderers
(Henri Lansbury 53)

Saturday 24th August 2013 - Sky Bet Championship
Watford 2 : 4 Nottingham Forest
(Michail Antonio 26, 45+1, 51; Jack Hobbs 47)

Tuesday 27th August 2013 - Capital One Cup Second Round
Leyton Orient 2 : 4 Nottingham Forest
(Robert Tesche 36; Jack Hobbs 73; Britt Assombalonga 81, 90+3)

Saturday 31st August 2013 - Sky Bet Championship
Wigan 0 : 5 Nottingham Forest
(Jamie Paterson pen 18, 45+2; Michail Antonio 59; Henri Lansbury 77,87)

STATISTICS

Most Starts:
Nicolas Tagliafico - 7
Andy Reid - 7
Michael Mancienne - 7
Tomasz Kuszczak - 7

Most Goals:
Britt Assombalonga - 8 (1 in league)
Michail Antonio - 6 (5 in league)
Henri Lansbury - 4 (4 in league)

Most Assists:
Jamie Paterson - 7 (4 in league)
Henri Lansbury - 4 (4 in league)
Chris Cohen - 4 (3 in league)

Best Average Rating:
Robert Tesche - 8.22 (7.70 in league)
Henri Lansbury - 8.22 (8.22 in league)
Jamie Paterson - 8.08 (7.84 in league)
Britt Assombalonga - 8.02 (7.23 in league)

PLAYER OF THE MONTH

Despite missing the first two games of the season through a slight injury Henri Lansbury finished the month with 4 goals and 4 assists in only 3 full games! An average rating of 8.22 indicates fantastic form. Hopefully he can continue this form after the international break.

Last edited:
Looking good mate, im from mansfield (near nottm) big forest fan myself and you've just pursuaded me to do another forest save, i would say good luck but with the start you made dont look like you will be needing any luck at all

Thanks Pieface - taken a couple of days off so we'll see how September goes over the next few hours! Hope to have an update up soon... The tactic is fantastic and I recommend anyone who likes 4231 to give it a go.

I remember Mansfield well actually - played cricket against Hosiery Mills a couple of times.