Notts win county championship

*Jones*

Pikachuuuuuuuu
Reaction score
Nottinghamshire have been crowned LV=County Championship Division One champions on a dramatic final day to the domestic season.

Chris Read's side clinched the title for the first time since 2005 after picking up enough bonus points in their drawn match with Lancashire at Old Trafford

With title rivals Somerset held to a draw at Durham and Yorkshire defeated by Kent at Headingley, Notts needed just nine points from the match to claim the title by virtue of more matches won.

And, after collecting five batting points by reaching 400-9 in their first innings, Notts required just three wickets for the championship.

England seamer Ryan Sidebottom, playing his last match for the county, struck the first blow when he had Red Rose opener Karl Brown caught at slip by Alex Hales.
spacer.gif

Home captain Mark Chilton then fell the following over to Andre Adams, and title glory was sealed three balls later when the New Zealander picked up the wicket of Shivnarine Chanderpaul.

The wicket sparked scenes of delirium both on the pitch and on the Nottinghamshire balcony as they ended their run of two successive runners-up finishes.

While the bowlers ultimately sealed the triumph, Notts were earlier left to thank a brilliant century from Adam Voges to get them up to 400 in a rain-ravaged fixture.

The Australian crafted 126 and was ably supported by Samit Patel (96) during a 153-run partnership for the fifth wicket.

Lancashire left-arm off-spinner Simon Kerrigan claimed 5-80 for the home side, who finished the campaign in fourth-place.

have to say, i'm delighted by this with me being a notts fan. been to trent bridge a few times and this is great!

Well played Notts. I would of liked to see Somerset win it, as i love trescko, but well played Notts, deserved it over the season,

Well played Notts. I would of liked to see Somerset win it, as i love trescko, but well played Notts, deserved it over the season,

Don't we all. It's a crying shame the best English batsman in the country won't play for his country.

Don't we all. It's a crying shame the best English batsman in the country won't play for his country.

Every time we play an ODI i always think, how good would it look with Trescko at the top of the order, a few years back i always thought, lets get ramps and trescko there, that would of been an opening partner ship to march Hayden and Gilly back in the day,

I keep reading "Notts win county championship" as "Notts county win championship" :S

Oooohhh Lanky Lanky, Lanky Lanky Lanky Lanky Lancashire!! :wub: