Nuclear Energy - Yay or Nay.

• Thread starter Thread starter Joel`
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 85
  • Views Views 6K

Should we use Nuclear Energy as a resource?

• Yes

Votes: 71 84.5%
  • No

Votes: 13 15.5%

• Total voters
We get "closer" but there is still no proof that fusion is actually possible because its a theroy that has been around for quite awhile.Fusion could be possible yes and probably great yippie for us we got unlimiteed energy but Id reather stick to cleaner and safer methods and thats just my opinion and yes i know Hydrogen is practially infinate but Ive also seen the dangers of Hydrogen bombs.Im just saying u can keep saying there safe but as the earthquake proved they are not completley invincible.Anything can happen and a nuclear plant can be destroyed by a natural disaster.As I said I have no problem with what everyone wants I just think The "cleaner" rescoures shud be the future.

Yes but so ur saying every country shud depend on there own nuclear power yet most countires are to small to have nuclear plants due to high population with no "safe area" to build the plant so they would have to import the energy anyway.
simply put, the numbers do not add up for major countries t replace nuclear reactors. the alternates simply do not generate enough power to be the primary source

It is an issue how long it takes for it to decay. Swear I read somewhere (may have been someone on this forum) saying that they are developing ways that the nuclear waste can be disposed of/ used in other processes.

Was me I think. :) They can re-process the waste so that it can be used again, they just haven't developed a reactor that passes the safety tests, yet.

And we can always jettison it into space. ;)

little off topic: is someone here, member of fm base from Japan?

Which country is so full they don't have spare capacity for a nuclear plant? If there was such country, it's likely to be so small that they don't need the mammoth nuclear energy generation, and could survive from a few wind farms/tidal resources. (Which take up tons of space, too.)
Wind Frams can be built at sea pkus Nuclear meltdowns have a very wide range of effectivity and the fact that the human population si growing means there will be less and less space.

---------- Post added at 03:00 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:58 AM ----------

It's not "practically a nuclear bomb" by any stretch of the word. Harnessing energy and blowing things up are different things.

Also, if people feel that way they need to be educated otherwise. Better than living next to a coal power station belching out smog onto your house.

Well then they don't need a safe area. They can't pick and choose.
I said gas not coal.Yes harnessing and blowing up are 2 different things but it only takes one mistake.

We get "closer" but there is still no proof that fusion is actually possible because its a theroy that has been around for quite awhile.Fusion could be possible yes and probably great yippie for us we got unlimiteed energy but Id reather stick to cleaner and safer methods and thats just my opinion and yes i know Hydrogen is practially infinate but Ive also seen the dangers of Hydrogen bombs.Im just saying u can keep saying there safe but as the earthquake proved they are not completley invincible.Anything can happen and a nuclear plant can be destroyed by a natural disaster.As I said I have no problem with what everyone wants I just think The "cleaner" rescoures shud be the future.

If a natural disaster happens then the plants are designed to stop all nuclear reactions immediately. There are far more reactors in Japan than those under threat, equipment fault is to blame for why the mess is happening now, and I expect safety measures to be upped even more now, so that it will be practically impossible for a malfunction to hamper them like this again.

Plus fusion generates such mammoth amounts of energy rapidly that it wouldn't need to be constantly generating energy, there is no way it would be turned into a hydrogen bomb.

---------- Post added at 03:03 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:01 AM ----------

I said gas not coal.Yes harnessing and blowing up are 2 different things but it only takes one mistake.

For a start, the Uranium isn't even close enough to the enrichment levels needed for even an inefficient bomb. Energy sources use 3-4% enrichment, Hiroshima had 80% enrichment.

Secondly, control rods prevent the reactions getting so out of hand it becomes a bomb.

Yes, I believe nuclear power is a good source of energy. Immensely powerful when compared to other fuel sources, and is environmentally safe provided it is used properly, barring natural disasters.

If a natural disaster happens then the plants are designed to stop all nuclear reactions immediately. There are far more reactors in Japan than those under threat, equipment fault is to blame for why the mess is happening now, and I expect safety measures to be upped even more now, so that it will be practically impossible for a malfunction to hamper them like this again.

Plus fusion generates such mammoth amounts of energy rapidly that it wouldn't need to be constantly generating energy, there is no way it would be turned into a hydrogen bomb.
But it still wont be impossile.Plus goverenments will have it generating power 24/7 to take advantege of exports trust me.When it all boils down to it it doesnt matter which is safer or which is better its the fact that whatever one can be exported to make as much money as possible will be the one thats used.

Wind Frams can be built at sea pkus Nuclear meltdowns have a very wide range of effectivity and the fact that the human population si growing means there will be less and less space.

Yeah, but think how much sea you'd need to take up with wind farms for it to be viable. I mean honestly, you need about 20 full size wind farms to even come close to the output a wattage similar to a nuclear power plant.

I know you said gas, I was taking an example. Gas works as well, it is hardly the cleanest. Not compared to nuclear power anyway. It does NOT take one mistake. One mistake equals the emergency cutoff systems. It would need to take a HUGE cacophony of mistakes, all human errors, to even come close to an accident, plus humans maintaining those errors over a period of hours. Even then, there's the protective chamber.

But it still wont be impossile.Plus goverenments will have it generating power 24/7 to take advantege of exports trust me.When it all boils down to it it doesnt matter which is safer or which is better its the fact that whatever one can be exported to make as much money as possible will be the one thats used.

You're being stupid. It won't be impossible, sure, but it isn't impossible for all the nukes in the world to explode at once and wipe out the human race. We can't 'what if' forever.

I don't think you understand how much energy fusion can potentially generate. Generate for an hour, run the world for a year. Maybe I'm exaggerating, but that's the kind of scale. You can't export power when everyone has oodles of it.

Last edited:

---------- Post added at 03:03 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:01 AM ----------

For a start, the Uranium isn't even close enough to the enrichment levels needed for even an inefficient bomb. Energy sources use 3-4% enrichment, Hiroshima had 80% enrichment.

Secondly, control rods prevent the reactions getting so out of hand it becomes a bomb.
But wasnt that the problem at Fukashima that the rods wherent able to control and the fact that both generators went down so the power was still be generating and the heat was building up but no cooling water was being supplied.

you dont know any of that fr sure for thing. you havent addressed the fact the numbers dont add up for wind and solar power either, simply not an option for most countries

Yeah, but think how much sea you'd need to take up with wind farms for it to be viable. I mean honestly, you need about 20 full size wind farms to even come close to the output a wattage similar to a nuclear power plant.

I know you said gas, I was taking an example. Gas works as well, it is hardly the cleanest. Not compared to nuclear power anyway. It does NOT take one mistake. One mistake equals the emergency cutoff systems. It would need to take a HUGE cacophony of mistakes, all human errors, to even come close to an accident, plus humans maintaining those errors over a period of hours. Even then, there's the protective chamber.
It does take one mistake tho that being that these protocals dont actually implement them selves in the time of need this being hypothetical it is still a possiblity.

Economics 101: You can't sell what there isn't demand for. Nuclear fusion's energy generation is so great that we simply wouldn't be able to use up enough energy to require it to be run 24/7.

It does take one mistake tho that being that these protocals dont actually implement them selves in the time of need this being hypothetical it is still a possiblity.

What? Yes, they do. Emergency shutoff systems are all over nuclear power plants. Not to mention something you've conveniently forgotten, the protection chamber. In other words, a meltdown would have to be initiated (no easy feat) and then ignored for about a day for it to have any chance of harming anything.

That just won't happen. I'm sorry, but it won't. Nothing short of a freak of nature can cause an accident of major proportions, which is exactly what has happened in Japan. Even then, it hasn't harmed anyone yet and hasn't even gone into proper meltdown.

you dont know any of that fr sure for thing. you havent addressed the fact the numbers dont add up for wind and solar power either, simply not an option for most countries
Thats kind of my point tho maybe some of the main users like American and China shud but smaller countires dont require these massive amounts of power because as people are saying there are small so they shud impliment tWind solar etc.To be honest I dont really care what America or China does about there power issues.Ireland is all that concerns me becasue we have the resources to be one of the most efficent and one of the biggest providers of rewneable energy in the world.

Thats kind of my point tho maybe some of the main users like American and China shud but smaller countires dont require these massive amounts of power because as people are saying there are small so they shud impliment tWind solar etc.To be honest I dont really care what America or China does about there power issues.Ireland is all that concerns me becasue we have the resources to be one of the most efficent and one of the biggest providers of rewneable energy in the world.
if you are only talking about ireland you have missed the point entirely then, and it isnt just america china etc, most developing nations will have to make the nuclear switch from their fossil fuels

yay - Nuclear power is the most efficient power source and it is only nuclear fission that is dangerous whenever scientists learn how to make nuclear fusion work we will be sorted as it is completely safe (to the best of my knowledge :))

if you are only talking about ireland you have missed the point entirely then, and it isnt just america china etc, most developing nations will have to make the nuclear switch from their fossil fuels
Not most.Most European countries are atually looking for ways to implement rewneable Energy as much as possible and I have not missed the entire point I do agree with ye but there is always that fear of the accident.

The argument against nuclear energy is always safety, safety, safety. But for a handful of well publicised accidents, Nuclear power is incredibly safe.

Chernobyl is obviously the most famous, and is widely regarded as being the result of a combination of:

Poor reactor design (design would not have been certified anywhere but the Soviet Bloc)
Poor maintenance of said reactor
Little to no safety measures/backup plans/emergency evacuation procedures

3 Mile Island is often cited as the next most famous disaster. However it was not a disaster at all. It was a near miss. Gases and small amounts of other radioactive material were vented into the atmosphere (much like what is happening now in Japan) after an accidental core meltdown. The reactor was cooled, stabilised and then closed down permenantly. However compared to the disaster zone that is Chernobyls legacy; the ghost town, thousands of lives affected by radiation, major environmental damage etc, 3 Mile Island was minor.

The facts surrounding safety of nuclear energy speak for themselves.
Despite being the second most famous nuclear energy 'disaster' in history, 3 Mile Island nuclear facility is still in operation to this day, with the sister reactor to the one that failed operating a few hundred feet away from the decomissioned one. There has been no lasting damamge to the environment, and no quantifiable health effects on the residents who still live close to the site.

Nuclear energy is policed strictly by National and International safety organisations, and as we are seeing in Japan right now, even when an Earthquake and Tsunami destroy/break all the safety features of a reactor, skilled engineers can still keep things under relative control. As of yet there has been no major meltdown crisis, despite using what could be considered medieival technology compared to the advanced features of a reactor; pumping it full of seawater and boric acid in an attempt to cool the fuel rods.

The media likes to create a lot of hype about radioactive hydrogen being vented, but it breaks down to normal Oxygen within seconds. The explosions seen were the result of hydrogen (a flammable gas) exploding after leaving the reactor.

Obviously Japan's not out of the woods yet, but in what situation could an Earthquake and a Tsunami simultaneously hit Switzerland? The Swiss today decided to close their nuclear plants when they reach the end of their current licensed periods to operate, citing the risks exposed by the Japanese crisis. OVER REACTION OF THE CENTURY.

Evry one thinks yay nuclear power and that its safe if its maintained and everything else but what happens with the nuclear waste and depleted cores(tho they take along time to be used up).What are you going to do with them.The cores tho depleted are still radioactive.

The spent fuel rods can be stored safely and securely in various facilities until they break down enough to be considered safe. They aren't just dumped at sea as some activists would have people believe.
I appreciate we don't have a sufficient answer to the problem of nuclear waste, but our current solution of long term secure storage is not only adequate, but most importantly, safe.

I appreciate the arguments for other energy sources, like wave, wind and solar. The problem is, these are very costly to set up, cannot be supplied constantly, ie it's not always windy, and produce far less energy than a nuclear reactor can.

Nuclear power is comparitively cheaper than the other solutions too. It would take an incredibly large field of wind turbines to produce the same amount of energy that a nuclear reactor can, even more so if fusion reactors are developed. I believe the best solution is a combination of both nuclear and wind/wave/solar. Nations that experience little wind, or are landlocked can't benefit from certain sources of energy for obvious reasons, this is where nuclear power can come in.
I also believe nuclear is our only short term solution to the impending energy crisis, its already widely used, provides a steady, stable amount of energy, is cheap compared to some of the methods which are essentially still experimental and can be adopted by most of the worlds nations tommorow if all the coal and gas suddenly ran out.

Solar and wind in particular are very costly, and take up a large amount of space, which the Earth is quickly running out of, whereas a nuclear plant can be housed on a comparitively small piece of land.

Sorry if i seem like some sort of pro nuclear nutter, forcing stuff down your throat, but I'm just stating what i feel to be facts, i haven't given any real opinion here, all points are based on facts.

Last edited:
Not most.Most European countries are atually looking for ways to implement rewneable Energy as much as possible and I have not missed the entire point I do agree with ye but there is always that fear of the accident.
implement, but not replace nuclear energy, as has been said before, they can only supplement, not replace nuclear power

Back