Official England v Slovenia/Algeria discussion thread.

Will England Qualify?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I would obviously prefer it if we were to play Ghana in the next round, as I'd like us to get far in the competition, but I'm not a doomsayer thinking that a match against Germany would definitely result in defeat.

Playing against one of the top teams is probably just what the lads need, so they don't feel like they have to win, and just like they want to win. The pressure will be less, and they will play better as a result. At least, that's how it should work in theory. <)

So yeah, I wouldn't mind if we got Germany, because that's how it's looking right now. I honestly believe we can beat them on our day.

Well done lads, deserved progression.

I would obviously prefer it if we were to play Ghana in the next round, as I'd like us to get far in the competition, but I'm not a doomsayer thinking that a match against Germany would definitely result in defeat.

Playing against one of the top teams is probably just what the lads need, so they don't feel like they have to win, and just like they want to win. The pressure will be less, and they will play better as a result. At least, that's how it should work in theory. <)

So yeah, I wouldn't mind if we got Germany, because that's how it's looking right now. I honestly believe we can beat them on our day.

Well done lads, deserved progression.
for me, ghana are the kind of team i dont like us playing. mean in defence, very very pacy on the counter. the the kind of game were we are forced to commit forwards but can easily get undone at the back, whereas germany would be a more balanced game, they'd be a more open at the back, and we have to beat the top teams sooner or later.

Put it this way, if you want to win the World Cup you will have to beat the best teams at some stage. I think playing the German's and possibly winning could act as a bigger confidence boost say if we played and beat a lesser team.

Couldn't agree more. If we win, it'll show that we are ready for the bigger teams.

Didn't expect England to go out but i think when their defence comes up against a team who can pass the ball well they will struggle, whats the slovenian number 10s name( I think its Bistra or something) because he looks like a good player and put in some very good freekicks

for me, ghana are the kind of team i dont like us playing. mean in defence, very very pacy on the counter. the the kind of game were we are forced to commit forwards but can easily get undone at the back, whereas germany would be a more balanced game, they'd be a more open at the back, and we have to beat the top teams sooner or later.

Agree with most of that first point, Ghana are a decent side, and have some tricky players, to be honest though, Serbia and Australia are hardly football greats and they didn't even beat the latter. Having said that, they're getting penalties and as you say they have quick players, with someone like Barry making some of the mistakes he made just now, sloppy passes mainly and we got away with it then, but a team like Ghana could potentially hurt us on the counter as you say! Germany even more so would surely put those chances away.

I don't know about Germany being 'more open' - they're pretty solid defensively, two big men again though might mean Capello gives Heskey yet another chance, I'd like to see Crouchy get a game though, he's been unlucky. Germany also have that brilliant central midfield partnership without unfortunately, or fortunately perhaps for us Torsten Frings and/or Michael Ballack, still Tasci and co. are technically solid and strong too, one thing they might find a problem is pace though, from e.g. Lennon, taking on FBs who love to get forward. I think a 4-2-3-1 would be better for us if we did play them, w. Gerrard off Rooney.

Agree with most of that first point, Ghana are a decent side, and have some tricky players, to be honest though, Serbia and Australia are hardly football greats and they didn't even beat the latter. Having said that, they're getting penalties and as you say they have quick players, with someone like Barry making some of the mistakes he made just now, sloppy passes mainly and we got away with it then, but a team like Ghana could potentially hurt us on the counter as you say! Germany even more so would surely put those chances away.

I don't know about Germany being 'more open' - they're pretty solid defensively, two big men again though might mean Capello gives Heskey yet another chance, I'd like to see Crouchy get a game though, he's been unlucky. Germany also have that brilliant central midfield partnership without unfortunately, or fortunately perhaps for us Torsten Frings and/or Michael Ballack, still Tasci and co. are technically solid and strong too, one thing they might find a problem is pace though, from e.g. Lennon, taking on FBs who love to get forward. I think a 4-2-3-1 would be better for us if we did play them, w. Gerrard off Rooney.
by more open i mean they will come to play, and not sit on their 18 yard line.

certainly a game i would go 4-2-3-1 against and task barry with shutting down ozil. and there's just something about playing "ze germans" that never gets old

by more open i mean they will come to play, and not sit on their 18 yard line.

certainly a game i would go 4-2-3-1 against and task barry with shutting down ozil. and there's just something about playing "ze germans" that never gets old

Yeah no, i think i know what you mean, and i agree with that, i think i was getting a little too into it/muddled up and i guess just pointing out how difficult it will be to get through "ze german" defence, talking of Ozil, Johnson better get his running boots on and learn how to turn Ozil could really hurt us.

Yeah no, i think i know what you mean, and i agree with that, i think i was getting a little too into it/muddled up and i guess just pointing out how difficult it will be to get through "ze german" defence, talking of Ozil, Johnson better get his running boots on and learn how to turn Ozil could really hurt us.
its certainly going to be a tough game, we will have to play close to our best. we were good today, but we'll have to be even better

11 english lions that what we got today,

Milner was our best player to me. he got numberous brilliant balls in, was soo class.

Lampard i thought pulled the strings well in midfield, and Gerrard and rooney, well get them both in the utd team ;)

Terry and Upson must start next game, yes cant believe that. upson was soo good.

Ashley Cole england player of the tournament so far.

Just escatic. everyone we can do it.

Slovenia didn't have luck. It's a pitty that donovan scored! :S
Englishmen-a lot of luck in 1/8 final. ;)

England, 2010 World Cup Winners.

You know it, I know it.

I actually have changed my mind about who I want in the next stage.

I'd like us to get Germany now, purely because I want to see a clash of the titans match sooner rather than later, and I can't see a match between the rivals of '66 being a disappointment.

Lahm to score for bonus points. ;)