Moooaaannn

Reaction score
I’m completely baffled by this game right now.

I absolutely love FM, have done since back in 2003 when I purchased Championship Manager, so don’t assume I’m whining about not being able to play the game or anything – I consider myself to be adept enough to be competitive with any team I pick.

I chose to be Carlisle, an average team in an average league (npower League 1) and quickly discovered that I needed a couple of players to strengthen my squad. Realistically, I was looking at a mid-table to a top-10 finish considering some of the other teams in the league and the strength of my squad plus the transfer kitty I’d been given. I started off pretty well, getting a string of good results together with the odd loss, most of this down to my two new loan signings fitting well with the team.

The past few games though, I’ve conceded in the 82nd minute, 3 games in a row. I’ve failed to win away from home in about 10 league games, and I’ve been hammered 7-3, and then 5-2 in 2 of my last 3 games. I don’t understand what possibly could have caused my defence to completely crumble? My centre-back pairing is fairly consistent, averaging around a 7.2 game rating, and my full-backs are more than competent to deal with the wingers in this league, yet for some reason my team is completely falling apart. The 5-2 loss was against a team 3rd from bottom that had such a previous bad run of form that my inbox was spammed with articles about the worrying future for their manager, yet they come to my stadium and beat me 5-2? Surely I can’t be as unfortunate that EVERY team ends their losing streak against me? I consistently warn my team against complacency and I don’t go over-the-top with my congratulations when my team perform well. Just simple positive remarks or a word to make sure they pick up their game, so in my mind I’m not doing anything wrong in that department.

As far as tactics go, my team are very comfortable with 2 main tactics, a 4-1-2-1-2 and a more straight-forward 4-4-2, both of which I use depending on what team I’m facing and I may altar the formation in game depending on the current score/performance. My training schedules seem to be working, I have a good relationship with the players, yet I am starting to totally lose my way with the team. I have studied their stats carefully to pick the right starting 11 for the right formation, I have done everything I can think of to influence the result of a game, but I just can’t buy a win at the moment.

Was wondering if anyone else had been in the same situation? I feel like the game is punishing me for looking into the details, something which the game is renowned for. Stuck and confused, would be grateful for some feedback!

Ciao.

find a common pattern into how the other team is scoring and change your defense to slove the problems like e.g. if striker is breakin through defense then play with a deep defensive line

I have had this problem, but I decided to create three tactics, 442 def/away games, 4222, attack/home, and 451 for games that I think I might win away, but might lose at home. (if you can understand that, lol) and they have worked wonders for me!

As Seoul we were in a wonderful bit of form, 8 games into the second season and we had been undefeated for the past 18 matches (including Cups, ACL and last year). So we go up against Jeonbuk, a team that's struggling back in 11th place. Their manager is on the verge of being fired and we've got massive advantages in pretty much every way.

We lost 0 - 2, with nearly no attacking momentum throughout the game. It was horrible, we only came close to a goal once and the player messed it up badly. Jeonbuk now are 6th in the league, their run of bad form ended by us, but luckily we're still 6 points clear at the top of the league. :) However, that just makes it more embarrassing that we lost... That's the only time we've lost this season, we've drawn a few but not lost again, so we're still on top.

I can only recommend changing tactics, taking up a different approach with your team, or perhaps swapping in and out players to liven up the squad.

Thanks guys, I'm going to use all your advice; create new tactics that really suit my players and hopefully bring a couple more in to switch it up a bit!