Oldest Reliable First Team Player?

• Thread starter Thread starter Riddick87
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 37
  • Views Views 4K

Riddick87

Reaction score
As the title suggests, who is the oldest first team starter you have had in your team?

Mine, so far, is Jamie Carragher at 33, turning 34, and still as great as ever. My last line of defence, with a nice average rating over the season of 7.12!

Also, with older players fitness reducing, would you slow your tempo to fit them in?

Brad Friedel for my Seville team, back-up but still reliable.

At what age?

Maybe we should exclude keepers, they do tend to play a lot further past others, unless you count maldini!

Hugo Ibarra for me. He's gotta be 38 but he fits into my system so well, will be **** when he retires :(

Francesco Toldo - 43.

Rio Ferdinand and Lucio - 39.

Once kept Michael Owen going until he was about 37 once, as Wimbledon. His finishing never got worse, so why not?

i had beckham in my united game untill he was 39 and he made 19 assist in his last season :D

i often use rivaldo first two or 3 seasons. and he is 37 years old at the start of the game, but he is immense.

i always use a slow passing game, so it suits his style.

nesta 37(only the pace was his downside), gattuso 35(tenacious as ever), amborsini 36, and of course pippo inzaghi 38!(scored a lovely hat trick on his last year before retirement against parma)

ive bought Rivaldo a few times at 37 i think he is quality for a few seasons and also the legendary Roanldo ive seen play well until the day he dies of a massive heart attack..:P

I tend to stay away from players 28 or over, just because I dont like making short term signings, is there anything I could be doing to prolong my players 'deaths' ?

Giggs is solid for first 2 seasons with United for me

Deco was 37 for my Celtic team and got fans player of the season in his final year, about 10 goals and 20+ assists and even at that age he only missed a couple of games

Mine was Danilo Gerlo for York City. Got him from River in 2009 while York was still BSP. Solid throughout. Captained the side until 2015 when he retired, above 7 average per season. I left York in 2013, after I brought them to Prem, team couldnt hack it. Went to Oldham, brought them to Prem then got offered Blackburn job, 2 years later I got offered Liverpool. First thing I did was to see what Gerlo was doing. He was available as coach. Signed him as a defensive coach. When I left Liverpool in 2019 he left too, I picked up York again, second chance try, and since Gerlo is a club legend I signed him as a coach again to give the team and supporters a moral boost. So far so good... 4th in Prem with York :)

I've said it before and I will say it again, Stuart Campbell is probably the most consistent player I have ever come across in Football Manager

I had Paul Dickov on my Forest Green side at 41 and he was still leading scorer when he called it quits.

But in terms of competitive teams, I once had Rivaldo and Inzaghi starting up top for Hull City. They were both near 40. Didn't necassarily work that well, but it was so epic

Back