Shedender

Reaction score
ffEvD8c.png

Hello all and welcome to what I hope will be my one and only Football Manager 2017 career as I attempt to once and for all conquer Europe and then, eventually, the World and I'll try not to stop until it's conquered. When I last attempted this on Football Manager 2015 which you can see HERE I reached the year 2074 before losing interest and even then I was nowhere near completed which isn't surprised.

bqmLhDp.jpg

Europe is the most difficult to complete as you can see there is thirty four playable countries along with the "big four" of England, France, Germany and Spain. Africa only has one playable league and that's South Africa while Asia has eight (including Australia) and South America has six.

Gs9xdjL.jpg

After trying different countries but failing to get employment, I've decided to opt for the much 'safer' route and that's starting in the home nations alongside Republic of Ireland. I've loaded all playable divisions from the five countries loaded as I look to start 'employment' on what should be an memorable journey around Europe and potentially the World.

Managerial History:
Tc9O1pa.png
8Gg6kAD.png
Stirling Albion: 12 July 2016 - 13 June 2018 (1 year, 336 days) Resigned
vYuEXcz.png
oT7W2hv.png
Sutton United: 13 June 2018 - 27 May 2019 (348 days) Resigned
maRxecG.png
Xsj4O7F.png
Institute: 5 June 2019 - 31 July 2020 (1 year, 56 days) Joined Shelbourne
ds2rtFX.png
y5IVv6d.png
Shelbourne: 31 July 2020 - 8 October 2021 (1 year, 69 days) Resigned
oKwDaP3.png
BfbwQcm.png
Dundalk: 5 January 2022 -

Trophy Cabinet:
Tc9O1pa.png
mJM6zhD.png
League Two play-offs 2018
ymEJsJA.png
DPsm95k.png
National South 2019
ymEJsJA.png
kiWnIxA.png
FA Trophy 2019
PCtDFqi.png
KO7eqta.png
Intermediate Cup 2020
5J2Ma9C.png
J0oezwR.png
Airtricity First Division 2021

Countries Conquered:
vYuEXcz.png
England (2/11)
maRxecG.png
Northern Ireland (1/9)
ds2rtFX.png
Republic of Ireland (1/6)
Tc9O1pa.png
Scotland (1/7)

Last edited:

zeQ4WOC.jpg

Instead of posting this in the OP I've once again decided to do the "meet the manager" in a separate post which will have a picture of me (well not quite me, but still, my "manager" as well as my managerial stats although truth be told, they won't be much to look at. When I done this on FM15 the manager stats allegedly rose quite fast in the beta, I hope this year is different.

pt0WvzQ.jpg

*Please note: This is NOT a picture of me

Just like always in my career, I am "Shedender", a twenty nine year old Football Manager who just wants to finally make a break in the management game and it's something I've been looking forward too since I was a little boy playing football games on the original Playstation. I was born in Dundonald, Belfast and support my local club Bangor.

I'm also a massive fan of English club Newcastle United, Scottish giants Glasgow Rangers and German Bundesliga club Dortmund. As per the norm, I'm going to try and play a 4231 (wide) formation but I have no idea what style I'll be playing, yet.

So, what do my managerial stats look like?

FuAE4Be.jpg

Poor but that's absolutely fine as I'll be starting on a 'traditional' Sunday League Footballer reputation (Boys Brigade reputation wasn't available, the last time I actually played football, poorly, but still played) and I'm sure the stats will rise up but I'm hoping not too quickly as that'll be unrealistic indeed. All stats are currently on one except for Mental and Youngster Knowledge which is on two while Tactical and Player Knowledge are on three. I've stated that I'm a 'knowledgeable' manager.

C2aUo5F.jpg

These are the jobs that are currently available (there's two International jobs which are England and Algeria but International jobs don't help this career) but I've already ruled out the vacancies at English League One duo Coventry and Shrewsbury and Scottish Championship side St. Mirren.

I don't really want to manage in England yet so that also rules out the possibility of Bishop's Stortford and Weston-super-mare - there's one job in the bottom tier of Scottish football in Stirling while there's one job in Wales and that's Cardiff Met Uni, Galway is available in Republic of Ireland while Northern Ireland has four vacancies and they are Premiership side Carrick, Championship One's Loughgall and Premier Intermediate League's (Championship Two on the game) duo of Newry City and Dundela.

I've an idea at who I want to start at, just need to boss an interview.

hlbRM7S.png

Tuesday, 12 July 2016

I didn't ideally want to begin this career within the combines of the United Kingdom but sadly I did and I have began this career up north in Scotland at the very bottom. For those who can't remember, I've started this career with NO coaching badges and a reputation of a Sunday League Footballer so it's going to be an epic challenge of success, failure, heartbreak and success - but mostly heartbreak and failure.

I should've been at our twelfth festivities here in Northern Ireland but instead I'm starting a quest in football management.

TQPdqjo.jpg

And my, soon to be hopefully epic career begins in the land of Irn Bru and Tunnock's Tea Cakes as I've been appointed the new manager of Scottish League Two club Stirling Albion as I agreed to sign a one year deal at Forthbank Stadium.

For those who don't know Stirling Albion, they're a semi-professional club and they ply their trade in the bottom tier of Scottish league. They're predicted to finish the season in fourth place which would equal a play-off spot and I feel that's acceptable. I don't have much money in the way of a transfer budget or wages but that's fine as it's my first job in management and I can't expect Real Madrid/Manchester City etc. types of wage/transfer budgets.

8ef8DSb.jpg

We've got a decent squad at my disposial but the problem is I've only got one out and out striker and that's Blair Henderson while we've got not one, not two, not three, not four but FIVE right wingers which is unbelievable but Callum Morrison is only on-loan until January I believe.

Improvements are needed but it won't be easy.

Much like Dan, I came across your save on sortitoutsi last year Shedender and I read through a ton of pages to find out how your journey went so I'm happy to catch your career early on this time haha! Good luck with it! It's good to see a fellow Gers fan too. I have a Clyde soms on the go just now as well so it'll be good to see how you get on in the Second Division as well. Have a look at Steven Ross if you're looking for a striker. I brought him in and he's apparently a 'good League One' striker.

Good luck my friend. Hopefully some trophies in Scoootland!

It's a challenge I've enjoyed in the past 1magine but I also know it's pretty impossible to conquer. I actually did take a look at Steven Ross, because as you can see, we've only one out-and-out striker but sadly he wanted too much dosh.

Cheers Tobey Mason. I would love to get some trophies at Stirling but it won't be easy.

Xz2rSr6.png

I wasn't sure on how I was going to update this career but with our section being quiet at this moment in time I've decided to do mid season and end of season update. If I was to do updates every month like I used to then I'd become quickly demotivated, lose interest and this career would die before it's even begun. The more comments I receive means the more I'd be motivated to play. I've reached the New Year here in Scotland so it's time for an update.

V6iY4NJ.jpg

I'm sorry to regret that we have exited all the cup competitions before Christmas which is massively disappointing. We had a dreadful stint in the League Cup, losing all our group games conceding eleven times and scoring the one meesley goal against Premiership side Hamilton. The club fared better in the Challenge Cup before our quarter final exit to run away Welsh Premier leaders The New Saints who ripped us to shreds while our run in the Scottish Cup was halted in the third round, losing at home to non-league side Forres Mechanics in which, despite dominating large parts, we just couldn't get the goals.

47VNQ3c.jpg

With our disastrous run in the League Cup, confidence was shot as our league campaign began with a six match win-less run in League Two but we then quickly recovered and won three on the bounce before two 1-0 defeats against Montrose and Edinburgh City. Our main issue is the defence/goalkeeper as the club have kept just four clean sheets in the league thus far. In our game away to Berwick we came from three goals down to salvage an unlikely point which was excellent.

dwqd4jk.jpg

All the eggs can go into one basket now as since we are out of all the cup competitions, my Stirling side can concentrate on trying to win promotion to League One and I'm close to deciding the league's impossible as we're currently eleven points behind leaders Arbroath. Annan looked close to be doomed and finish bottom as they're nine points behind newly promoted Edinburgh.

OyINUw0.jpg

The last piece of news in this update is that the Stirling Albion board have allowed me to begin getting my coaching badges as they've accepted my request to start studying for my National C which is going to take approximately four months to study and the football club are paying the six hundred pounds fee to cover the course, so I better pass.

Not too bad thus far in Shedender, hopefully can keep it coming!

Cheers for following Dan. You're my 'inspiration' for doing this type of career.

Xz2rSr6.png

Season number one has come and gone and we've had a decent start to the campaign thus far although those draws (seven thus far) have damaged our potential promotion hopes, thus far. But we are unfortunately out of all the cup competitions before Christmas time and now we can full on concentrate on attempting to get promotion to League One.

f8tFVdE.jpg

Just three defeats and three draws came in the second part of the campaign as our form drastically picked up. The year began with a single goal victory at home to Edinburgh City while we ended our League Two campaign with a seven match unbeaten run, keeping six clean sheets out of those seven and in five consecutive game as confidence is high - but, did we at least reach the play-offs?

2hx2f4M.jpg

Yes! The club have ended the league campaign in third place and thus we've secured a play-off spot and we will face Forfar Athletic in a two-legged semi final and although the games are going to be tough, we should have confidence. We finished just three points behind the champions Arbroath while Elgin will be in a two-legged relegation play-off.

kr7J9oT.jpg

The first leg in the semi final against Forfar Athletic ended in a 1-1 draw which I was a little disappointed with as attacking midfielder Jack McCue had given us the lead but that only lasted two minutes as Travis levelled for the Station Park outfit.

nkpsFeH.jpg

And it's Forfar who have progressed to the final after a single goal win at Station Park courtesy of Lewis Milne's strike ten minutes into the second half and it was a tight game iirc and despite playing on several options including 'overload' we just couldn't bag a leveller to force a minimum of extra time and it's another season in League Two for Stirling.

Near the end of the campaign I applied for a vacant job at National League side Dover Athletic who were in a relegation battle and I believe might've ended up being relegated and I'm sure they would've been favourites for their respective league - sadly I was unsuccessful and I remain at Stirling . . . for now.

Hard luck in those playoffs, but you were thereabouts this year, if you stay, I'm sure you'll have your first trophy this time next season!

Oh no doubt Dan, Forfar are no mugs. I'd love to leave Stirling in the summer but only if the correct job becomes available.

Xz2rSr6.png

We had a tremendous end to last season until we lost to Forfar Athletic at the semi final stage of the relegation/promotion play-off so another season in League Two awaited not just Stirling Albion but also myself. Near the end of last season I applied for the Dover job who ended up being relegated to the National South and because they're predicted to finish twelfth, I'm glad I didn't get the job after all - they're also manager-less now after the latest manager got sacked after 61 days.

I've also applied for another vacancy in Scotland but I'm still waiting a response from them.

VnscqDK.jpg

And this will be our first team squad heading into the new campaign and my second season at Stirling and although there's still room for improvement, well, not much talent is available at the moment. Despite being released in the summer (wouldn't agree to a new deal) Scott Davidson has re-signed for the club while Kyle Turnbull, Steven Swinghurst, Murray Loudon, Alan Gow and Kalvin Orsi are all new signings for this season.

I'm still looking for a youngster goalkeeper and will continue until the end of the transfer window.

nOGGb7Z.jpg

It would turn out to be a mixed pre-season program for ourselves as we'd either win 2-0 or draw 0-0. Four games were played all on the road and things began with a two nil win at Hurlford before drawing a blank at Oakley despite dominating, Stirling Thistle were eased past two nil while our short pre-season preparations ended with a scoreless draw at Tynecastle FC.

Xz2rSr6.png

Because no other jobs were available in the summer, well except for one which still says 'applied', I have had no real choice to remain at Stirling Albion for at least another campaign in an attempt to get promoted to the Scottish League One, I don't want to remain 'loyal' because this challenge is about trophies and not loyalty.

HCWWWM2.jpg

For the second season running we are out of all the cup competitions before Christmas which is massively disappointing but c'est le vie but it's progress as we actually picked up points in the League Cup, beating Stirling 2-0 at home and beating Stranraer on penalties. Yet again we crashed out of the Challenge Cup to Welsh Premier League side The New Saints while the side also crashed at the first hurdle in the Scottish Cup against League Two 'rivals' Clyde.

SyKCodh.jpg

It's been an enjoyable first part of the season minus that away defeat to Clyde in which we got outplayed and lucky only to have lost three nil. Our league campaign began with three consecutive clean sheets, continuing on from last season. One season I'd love to go an entire campaign unbeaten at home but it won't happen this season. We ended twenty seventeen with a hard fought 4-2 win away to Edinburgh City.

8meIW2z.jpg

And we will head into twenty eighteen second in the League Two table but nine points behind the leaders Clyde and we face them next at Forthbank Stadium. Stenhousemuir, despite beating us recently, are bottom and three points behind Elgin City who escaped relegation last season by winning the relegation/promotion play-off.

eSMss0j.jpg

And the final piece of news in this update is the board are once again allowing me to take my coaching badges and if I'm successful, it will be my National B as I slowly get my required coaching badges which'll make this career 'easier' in the long run. Once again it's going to take approximately four months of study and once against Stirling Albion will be paying the six hundred pounds fee for the course.

Xz2rSr6.png

Promotion to League One has always been the aim this season so I'm not overly disappointed we exited all the cup competitions before Christmas, okay maybe slightly but the possibility of promotion will get me over that pretty quickly. We have had a tremendous first half of the season even though we're nine points behind the leaders Clyde but they have to drop points, correct?

SAAqcvX.jpg

The new year began well as we trounced the leaders Clyde 5-2 at Forthbank but then followed that up with a disappointing defeat at home to Elgin while the rest of our defeats in the second part of the campaign came on the road to Berwick, Clyde, Elgin, Cowdenbeath and more annoyingly bottom of the table Stenhousemuir. The league campaign ended with perhaps an undeserved single goal win at home to Annan. Frustrating enough for me, Kalvin Orsi's goals have dried up.

VxmW13o.jpg

So it's got to be the play-off's for the second season running as Stirling finished nine points behind the champions Clyde who, although we 'duffed' them at the beginning of the year, had a tremendous season (+33 GD as well) and I'm sure they'll do well next season but the question remains, will we join them? Stenhousemuir finished bottom and will need to win a two-legged play-off to remain in League Two.

JEuF3V6.jpg

We travelled to Annan Athletic for the semi final first leg as a classic play-off contest ended all square. Winger Murray Loudon gave us the lead on nineteen minutes but we couldn't hold on for a first leg advantage as Ryan Watters levelled at Galabank.

XhfziNN.jpg

The second leg was a lot better, as despite falling behind twice due to goals from David McKenna and Ryan Watters, we struck four times at Forthbank Stadium. Murray Loudon struck two wonderful free kicks while Connor McMullan and an Peter Watson own goal also struck and we'll face fellow League Two side Berwick in a two-legged final with a place in League One awaiting.

9DBsDTU.jpg

Despite taking the lead twice we had to settle for a draw at Berwick. Ross Smith had headed into a nineteen minute lead but Euan Bauld made it one apiece on a half hour, seven minutes later Murray Loudon had regained our advantage, Darren Whyte made it two two with seventeen minutes remaining and that's how it ended.

yz6h8g7.jpg

But trophy #1 was secured as we've been promoted to League One after this two one (four three on aggregate) victory at home to Berwick as full back Ross McGeachie and left winger David Turner scored to give up a 2-0 lead on the night, Alisdair Stark pulled a goal back for the Wee Rangers but Stirling held on to secure promotion to the third tier of Scottish football.

LZEYXZe.png

Wednesday, 13 June 2018

Even though promotion was won to League One in Scotland via the play-offs, I felt my time at Albion was up as I needed to progress in this career. Just days after a two legged win over Berwick I headed to the 'Job Centre' in an attempt to find work, I found a job in England which I found appealing and I quickly applied, attended an interview and was offered the job which I snapped and my time at Forthbank Stadium was over.

f7dS1nt.jpg

So I'm delighted to announce that I've been appointed the new first team manager of National League side Sutton United who ended the campaign being relegated to the National South, I've agreed to sign a one year contract at Gander Green Lane and I can't wait to get started. Sutton paid £28k to Stirling for my services - I was happy enough at Stirling but this career is about trophies, not loyalty. Finally, of course it had to mention my humbling Scottish Cup exit at the hands of Forres Mechanics, of course it did.

And now, I had to make the seven and a half hour journey down from Stirling with all my s**t to start my next chapter.

PHMrqhR.jpg

I've ended up making three signings thus summer and although I'd like to add another one or two, it might not be feasible. Lewis Ward is a shot stopper who has cost us four grand from Reading, Dan Matsuzaka has re-joined on loan from Southend and Aaron Cunningham has left National League's Hartlepool United for fourteen and a half grand. I had re-mewed a few loan deals already at the club as I thought they could've done a job for us this season.

hCFbPOI.jpg

And this will more than likely be the squad that'll begin our National South campaign and it's a squad that's def. capable of getting an immediate return to the National League at the first time of asking. I'm not one for being a 'fan' of loan deals as I'd rather have the players on a permanent basis but I've five currently on-loan including two central defenders who, more than likely, will be first choice. I'm hoping Jack Stevens (AMC) and Michael Cregan (ST) can be crucial in my success this season.

Well done on trophy one mate and on the new job!

Just had a browse through your 2015 story, very impressive stuff, your commitment to a save is outstanding! I shall follow this one for sure!

Thanks for the comment Dan, I'm hoping I can add more to my collection.

I thoroughly enjoyed the career I had throughout FM15 as I felt that was 'epic' but sadly I lost interest and decided to end the career, I've no interest in letting this one finish early although it is quite impossible to conquer.

nbYxfhy.png

At the end of last season I made the decision to leave Scottish side Stirling despite getting promoted to League One but whether I'll end up regretting the switch the Gander Green Lane will remain to be seen. They're predicted to win the league and an immediate return to the National League but whether that'll happen or not remains to be seen.

JppmmYL.jpg

For the first time in this career, we remain in a cup competition after Christmas after progressing to the second round of the FA Trophy but we needed not just penalties but also a replay to get past fellow National South side Wealdstone. Our run in the FA Cup ended in the first round proper, losing to League One's Oxford United - in the previous rounds Sutton beat Cirencester (5-0 after a replay), Harrow (3-2) and Chelmsford (2-0) before the first round exit, but we did force them to a replay.

8CNhU0T.jpg

And it's been an enjoyable first half of the 2018/19 campaign but it's also important we keep it up if we're to try and get a title/promotion back to the National League. The side had lost two of their opening ten games (and drawing one, on the opening day to less), we also had went on a goal 'drought' in which we had failed to score in four of five games while the calendar year ended with back-to-back victories although no clean sheet.

vQr3YgU.jpg
But that doesn't bother me too much because we will begin 2019 top of the National South table and nine points clear of second and third placed Maidenhead and Bath. Sutton currently have a +16 goal difference and if the form can be maintained then we'll win the league, but it'll be tough.

nbYxfhy.png

So season one has been concluded at Sutton United and it has been an enjoyable campaign thus far as not only do we sit top of table, nine points clear but we also remain in the FA Trophy - it would be quite remarkable if we were able to chalk of a double this season but it won't be easy.

czL2Wp1.jpg

We only remained in the FA Trophy come the New Year but I'm delighted, shocked, but delighted to announce that the FA Trophy has been chalked off after an excellent 2-1 win over former holders Dulwich Hamlet in the final. Waltham Abbey were defeated in the third qualifying round, a replay and penalties were needed to see off Wealdstone in round one, round two saw us stuff Maidstone at home, the third round we eased past non-league Barwell 5-0, Torquay were beaten 1-0 in the fourth round at Plainmoor before we beat Salford City in a two legged semi-final.

The win in the final against Dulwich was made even sweeter after we had lost our first choice 'keeper in the last league game for nine weeks.

9BoTTBq.jpg

And wow, what a tremendous second half of the season as we dropped points in only seven games (three draws and four defeats) and kept eight clean sheets in the process. The club were already nine points clear heading into the New Year and going throughout the month of January maintained our top spot placement. We did have a slight 'stutter' at the business end when we had won twice in six games but the campaign ended with back-to-back victories against Weston-super-Mare and Whitehawk.

9J6eDKD.jpg

Champions. It turned out to be an excellent campaign for Sutton United as not only did we secure not only the FA Trophy but the National South title as well, finishing twelve points ahead of runners-up Dover Athletic but whether I'll decide to remain at Sutton for next season in the National League or not yet remains to be seen even though I had recently penned a new one-year contract extension.

99dnVCJ.png

Just one season was spent at Sutton United but the decision was made to resign at the end of the campaign. I didn't feel the club could compete to a high standard back in the National League and with this career being all about trophies and not loyalty, well, I made the tough decision to step aside.

IzhLJTc.jpg

And this is the conformation that my time at Gander Green Lane has indeed come to an end after just one full season at Sutton, but it was an enjoyable season as I not only won the National South title (as expected) but we also added the FA Trophy to my trophy cabinet, which is slowly starting to grow.

So the major question now needs to be asked, where's my next destination?

jt0nIOg.jpg

Unless I'm forgotten, I believe dani3w has managed this team briefly but I've decided that Institute Football Club will be my next destination on this journey. The football club were relegated from the Premiership at the end of the 18/19 campaign but I'm sure hoping they'll be favourites to win the Championship next season but I expect some players to be unhappy following relegation. I've penned a one year deal at The Riverside Stadium, earning a meesley £220 quid p/w.

V3uOR1O.jpg

We've a solid enough squad to choose from with two players returning from loan spells out while the two loanees the club had last season have also re-signed for another seasonal loan. A few players would like to leave the club following relegation - goalkeeper Harry Doherty (currently injured) and striker Danny McKee being two but they're under contract and I've no intention on letting them depart - if the squad can remain united throughout the season, I could secure a double.

Nice play off win with Stirling and a brilliant ease to the title with Sutton Utd too! Hopefully this next job works out just as well.

I sure hope it does 1magine, it turned out to be an easy enough time at Sutton, whether it'll be like that at Institute remains to be seen.

dRMFVdH.png

Whenever I decided to make tender my resignation at Sutton United and move to Institute following their relegation I completely understood that I'd have had some players who would've been unhappy after the club but I did tell them under no certain terms to "suck it up, you're under contract", no one has come in for them and they remain unhappy but because they're good players, they'll play so they better perform.

XkQqL9D.jpg

The club entered three cup competitions this season - League Cup, Irish Cup and Intermediate Cup and we still remain in both the Irish and Intermediate Cups. Cliftonville dumped us out of the League Cup, 2-0 at Solitude while the side have beaten Hanover, Strabane and Newington thus far in the Intermediate Cup and will travel to Malachians in the fourth round. Our run in the Irish Cup began with a hard fought two one win at Dergview and a trip to Premiership side Carrick awaits in round five.

F5OZSo8.jpg

Now this not the form of a team that's predicted to win the league, is it? It's been a dreadful first part of the league campaign in which we've only won five of our opening sixteen games but somehow I haven't been sacked nor am I under any sort of pressure seemingly which is a strange 'un but I won't complain. The calendar year ended with a four all draw away to Tobermore in which we had to come from 4-1 down iirc to salvage a point.

cEWkz8O.jpg

And I will take Institute into the second part of the league campaign down in ninth place, fourteen points behind the leaders Warrenpoint Town and nine points behind Ards who currently occupy to final play-off spot. I'll need to guide the club on an excellent run of form if we're to have any chance of securing promotion but at the moment it's not looking likely.

jJ0395w.jpg

But I was hoping my time at Drumahoe would've been a short one because during the first part of the season a job vacancy at The New Saints became available after their manager, Craig Harrison, headed to Dagenham and Redbridge - I attended the interview but unfortunately I was unsuccessful and I remained at Institute.

Didn't mind as much this time because it would've been a two seasonal (minimum) job at TNS due to them already being out of the Welsh Cup by the time the job became available. Now, I need to play the waiting game for this job to come around one more time as it's ideally the only job you can take in Wales that'll see you successful straight up.