ON THE BRINK OF SUCCESS AND FAILURE

chrisyboy

Reaction score
images
The final day of the Premier League season has finally passed. One champion, three relegated teams. The champion was, of course, Manchester United. By a shaving of a hair, Birmingham City and Blackpool were relegated, along with West Ham United. Immediately after the relegation, Aston Villa poached Alex McLeish from their Birmingham rivals, City were furious. The were about to sign former Newcastle boss, Chris Hughton, but instead opted for an inexperienced Chris; Sunday league manager, Chris Blackett.

Blackett had led his side to three consecutive top-2 finishes with Kingsbury. He was an ex-player too, he captained Tamworth to a title before he broke his leg in Tamworth’s first Blue Square Bet North game after the promotion. He was informed in hospital an hour later that he was lucky to walk and could not line up in a football game ever again. It was then that he turned to managing with Kingsbury. Now, he may be a long shot, but in Blackett Birmingham have a young, passionate manager.​
old+kitchen.jpg

I sipped at my cold cup of joe, pulling a funny face at the taste. I emptied it down the sink and put the kettle on again. My girlfriend walked in, her long, dark hair all frizzy and messy. She was wearing an old, pink dressing gown. She sat down at the table, she looked slightly depressed.
“What’s up?” I asked as I sat down with my hot tea.
“Nothing.”
“Yes,” I said, taking her hand. “There is something wrong, now tell me what it is.”
“Alright.”
“Go on then.”
“Look, we just can't go on like this anymore. We cannot survive on my small pay, you need a job.”
“I’m working on it, I’ve told you already!”
“Well you need to get a ****** move on. You’re not cut out to be a top manager, come back to the real world and get a real job!”
I shook my head, “No. I will not, I know I will make it. If you do not believe in me, then there will be no ‘we’ anymore. I’m out.”
There were tears in her eyes as I grabbed my paper, my bag and my notebook and left; my tea just stood there, cooling off slowly.

It was the next day that I realised my time had come, she was right. I needed to get a ******* move on and get a job. I lay there, on my shabby little bed in the old hotel suite I was staying in.
4058054594_06f74bdc1e.jpg

I applied to most reasonably good clubs who required a manager. There was only one in England who replied, and another two in Italy and France, but I wished to stay in my home country. They offered me a reasonable sum of money for 2 years worth of work. I was going to earn £11,000 a week to try and get Birmingham back in business. I immediately contacted my girlfriend with the news.
“That’s, that’s great,” she said, sounding tearful.
“I know! It’s wonderful. Now, fancy a coffee?”
“Nah, I’m b, b, busy.” She sniffed loudly, trying to stem the flow of tears.
“What’s up darling? Look, I’m coming over right now, we need to talk.”
It turned out she simply missed me and felt bad about what she had said. Everything was alright again. I started work the next day at St. Andrews. I went back to the hotel and cancelled the booking, paid and left.
article-1213667-0670C4F3000005DC-309_468x333.jpg

I met up with Carson Yeung in the boardroom at 11 o’clock. We discussed expectations and what not and what I needed doing as preparation for the big first game. I was due to meet the media tomorrow to introduce myself to the rest of the country.
“I’m taking a gamble on you, ya know?”
“Yeah, I know. I fully understand Mr Yeung.”
“Please, call me Carson”
“Well, Mr, er, Carson, what do you expect from me?”
“Promotion, at the very least next season, if not this season. If you do not even qualify for the playoffs, I’m afraid you’re out, immediately.”

So I was under pressure from the very off. Could I with stand it and produce some results? Well, I just don't know.

I woke up the next day to bright sunshine streaming in through the window. It was a sunny July Thursday, the first day of my new job as Birmingham City manager. I strolled downstairs to the dusty old kitchen, but it was dusty no more. I stopped and stared. I felt my girlfriend’s arms wrap around my waist.
“I did it up for you”
“It’s beautiful,” I turned and looked into her eyes.
“You better get a move on, you don’t want to be late.”
“Yeah, true.” I kissed her on the forehead and went to put the kettle on. I went back up stairs and pulled on a fresh suit and tie. Back down stairs I went to find a piping hot plate of beans on toast. After eating that, brushing my teeth and kissing my girlfriend, I left the house. I got in my little car, a 53-reg Ford Focus, and drove off.
hispanic_man_at_press_conference_microphones_bld073023.jpg

Introductory press conference:
Joe Reed, BBC WM: You site here, the new manager of a recently relegated Birmingham City; What are your first impressions of being chosen for the job?
Me: Well, I’d like to thank Carlson Yeung for trusting me with this job. It’s brilliant here, all the guys here have treated me well and made me feel right at home from the off.

Mike Shaw, Football League Paper: After Alex McLeish left with only the League Cup under his belt and getting Birmingham relegated, do you feel you can take Birmingham back to the Premiership and get some silverware?
Me: This season, I am not sure we can get any silverware apart from the league title. That is my main focus, although I will also be demanding strong European performances too. After this season? My aim will simply be to take Birmingham further and further in the league rather than focusing on silverware.

Mike Shaw, Football League Paper: New managers often completely reboot the system at their new club, is that was you plan on doing?
Me: If you mean change everything by ‘reboot’, then no I won’t be. This is a solid club, all I will be changing is personnel, on and off the field, and also the in-game tactics. I much prefer a supervisory role in my club, so my staff will be controlling the main running of the club, under my watch obviously.

Darren Harris, The People: How do you prefer to deal with your players?
Me: I prefer to have an open door, they can come to me with anything. I also prefer to stay on the right side of my players, there’s no point in having every player hate you.
Danny Stevens, Birmingham Mail: Here at Birmingham, you have a reasonably rich chairman behind you; what can we expect from you in terms of transfers?
Me: Well, I do like to get the very best players available, but I am a bit of a wheeler-dealer. I don’t like to go over budget, but I also like to make the most of what I have available to me. I think that’ll be all for today, thank you for your time.

I met the players just an hour after the conference to have a talk with them and tell them what I expected from them. It was strange because I was younger than some of them being just 29. I was quite pleased by their reaction to me, I was half expecting out rage at being put under the watch of a young rookie manager. They responded well to my aims for the season and weren’t the slightest annoyed at the fact a few more players were coming in. In fact, Stephan Carr, the captain, came up to me afterwards and said he would support my decisions with transfers and what not. I was genuinely touched (kinda) by their support.

Goole%20Photo%20Shoot%20July%2008%20237small.jpg

It was rather a short day with only preparation to do, Yeung allowed me to go home early to sort myself out and get everything ready for the big stuff to begin. I decided I needed to look the part to be successful, I contacted a tailor that I knew to arrange suit fitting and was surprised to hear he could fit me in this afternoon. That would be my first week’s wage blown already, but hey-ho.

I arranged some friendlies for Birmingham against a range of clubs. I was rather happy with the variety. I also managed to organise a tough game in Europe against OM, I wasn’t expecting the lads to get anything from the match other than some experience of playing in Europe. We began with Rochdale, Bolton and Aberdeen before travelling to Marseille, we finished against Queen’s Park (not QPR) and Stoke.

It was the end of another day, and it had been brilliant so far. I was loving life once again. Birmingham’s going places, and I’m glad to be going with ‘em.
old%20farmhouse%20bedroom.jpg

I was greeted by a couple of surprises the next day. The first came when I rattled up to the security gates on the staff car park. There was a crowd of people standing just in front of the gates, which we open. Carlson Yeung stepped forward from the crowd to open my door. I stepped out and stared at the crowd, a mixture of staff and players.
“What the **** is going on?”
“Just look at that,” said Yeung, beaming. As I looked, the crowd parted to reveal a dark blue beamer. It wasn’t just and BMW, it was an M3 no less.
“A little thank you gift from us to you, it looks bad on us if we have that **** in our car park.”
“But what am I gonna do with it?” Indicating my car, my old car.
“Ah, we’ve sorted that out already. A guy bought it for about £900, he’s picking it up later today.
“Wow.”
IMG_0160.JPG

In my office, overlooking the training ground.
“Have you sorted out the yoga coach yet?” I asked my assistant, Tony Coton.
“Yeah, I contacted an agency, they said they’ll send a women this afternoon.”
“Great, it’ll be nice to get the boys off of this hard schedule for a couple of hours.”
“Yeah, that’s true.”
Modern-Luxurious-Office-Designs-4.gif

Coton was the product of the worst part of managing, changing personnel. I sacked Paul Trollope to make way for the more talented Coton. I was taking a longer, more detailed look into the quality of my staff. I knew that Coton, with no emotional attachments to any of the guys here, would give me an honest view to whether or not they were worth keeping, the same could be said the players. I faced my fears of moving people out that had been here for multiple years and mutually terminated another 5 staff members’ contracts. It was definitely the right move, the guys who stayed began to work harder, and also the players seemed motivated by the change; maybe they though they would be moved out too?

As soon as I got home, I though; ‘I’m actually pretty good at this managing malarkey’.
old%20farmhouse%20bedroom.jpg

Over the next few months, the team was completely changed. Not only was it now one of the strongest in the league, it was a very deep team; there was talent all the way down the team. I was now expecting a lot more from Birmingham City. Towards the end of the transfer window, Carlson Yeung invited me to his office to discuss my first few weeks.
italian-office-furniture-systems.jpg

“Hi Chris, how are you doing?”
“Hi, pretty well actually, how are you?”
“Fine, fine. I’ve been pretty impressed by you so far. Given your general lack of knowledge of pro football, this has been amazing.”
“Thank you,” I replied, feeling rather proud of myself.
“Well, although you have been showing enormous talent so far, this puts more pressure on you. I am now expecting a result in the Europa League, and also a strong position in the Championship.”
“That’s fine, I’m up for a bigger challenge and now I believe I have the squad to achieve that. Although one question, is the minimum promotion near next year? Or do I need promotion this year?”
“It depends, if you are 5th or 6th, you will be sacked this year. If not or I am still pleased with progress, it will be next year if ever.”
“Okay, thank you. That’s calmed down, aha.”
He grins, and I sigh, being unsure how my joke would be received.
“Well, that’s it for now. Good luck for the season, I will be attending most home games.”
“Yes thank you. Good bye then.”
“See ya,” he replied as I swung the door shut on just about the coolest office I had ever seen. That wasn’t really saying much as I had managed Kingsbury from a shed and run a corner shop from an office the size of a toilet cubicle.
OldHouseFontageOct69byJames.JPG

When I got home, I looked over my transfer activity and considered it a success. I was quite pleased with my staff signings as well if I’m honest. I phoned and texted some of my friends to see if they agreed with my signings, for the most part they were quite pleased, but there were some thoughts in the back of my mind that I was still missing something, but I really didn’t know what.
IN: Jordi Gomez, 26, Spain, Wigan, £1.8m
Quique De Lucas, 33, Spain, Celta, £425K
Daniel Jesnsen, 32, Denmark, free transfer, £0
Andris Vanins, 31, Latvia, , Sion, £2.5m
Alex Schalk, 19, Hollland, NAC Breda, £2.5m
OUT: Jordan Mutch, 19, England, Burnley, loan
Luke Hubbins, 19, England, Torguay, loan​

I woke up, feeling like ****. I phoned in ill, Yeung gave me the day off but told me I had to be in tomorrow. My girlfriend was off today anyway, working only Monday to Thursday, obviously today was Friday.
I lay on the sofa, watching last season’s Birmingham City on tape. The League Cup final against Arsenal to be exact. I was looking at how they won that match, it seemed like luck, but looking closely...
Arsenal_Birmingham_1836268b.jpg

“Y’alright?”
“What? Oh, yeah.”
“You certainly don’t sound it,” she said, plonking herself on the sofa arm next to my head.
“It’s tough, ya know?”
“”yeah, it’s hard being ill.”
“Ya don’t say...”
“As a matter of fact, I do say,” she smiled.
“Ha! Well, at least your alright.”
“Yeah, just about coping. At least we’ve got a bit of spare cash nowadays. Speaking of which, how’s it goin’ up there?”
“St. Andrews? It’s going quite well actually, quite pleased with myself to be honest. Told you I’d make it.”
Her eyes flashed and filled with tears.
“Don’t remind me of that! It makes me feel bad.”
“I’m sorry. Anyways, you need to go and make me a cup of tea thank you.” She smiled and walked off to the kitchen.
“Have we got the heating on yet?”
“Yes, why?” She called back from the kitchen.
“It’s freezing!”
“I’m not actually sure it fully works ya know.”
“****! We better get it fixed or-”
“I had a guy come in to fix it last Thursday, but he said he hadn’t seen anything like it.”
“It is a pretty old place so I’m not surprised.”
“Top house when it was first built though,” she replied.
“Yeah, but that was like 60-odd years ago!”
“Well, yeah, I suppose.”
“We really should look to get a new house soon.”
She looked around sharply. “Ya do know, even with your new job, the money’s still not pouring in non-stop?!?!”
“Yeah, I know but...”
“We can’t afford it yet!”
“Alright, alright.”
I got up and went up stairs, tea in hand.

soccer-players-doing-yoga.jpg

I immediately e-mailed Coton to ask him how the players had been fairing in training today with our first match tomorrow. His reply came about 30 seconds later...
Hi Chris, lads have been doing great. We had a quick yoga session this morning after a 3 mile run, the lads seemed pleased to a break from the ‘non-stop’ running and drills. We have been going over teamwork and shooting today, a little more light-hearted than normal. Later we will hit the gym and have another yoga session.

I was pleased the guys had been enjoying the yoga sessions, I had worried they would be rejected by the players. But luckily, they weren’t gonna be a chore for them.
Heart pounding. Head sweating. Eyes twitching. My nerves were pressing in on me. Would I be successful? Would the fans accept me? Would we win? It was only the Championship now, but it was as loud as heel in the tunnel. The St Andrews faithful were hootin’ and hollerin’ for their boys to get a win. The crowd were signing, shouting and making general noise, horns littered the stands, hooting continuously; this was more than I had expected for a second division match.
I look to my right, Burnley’s manager, Keith Hill, was just standing there, stock still, looking at the ceiling of the tunnel. It was interesting to see how they all dealt with their nerves as I looked down Barnsley’s team. Sweat was pouring from some guys’ hair already, eyes were closed, other not blinking. A couple were jumping, stretching. Finally the ref came through the middle of the two teams, shaking hands with us managers and also the captains. They stepped out into the bright September sun. The players followed, jogging out, some waving at the fans, but most just beginning to do heel flicks and various quick warm ups. I followed slowly, gulping. Coton tapped me on the back;
“Come on boss, you can do it.” He smiled and continued out. The fans cheered on his appearance, they had been surprisingly happy about the staff change, I earlier learned that they had been having second thoughts about the previous staff. They practically roared as I walked out, and that seemed to ease my tension.

We played rather well actually, the only trouble being our inability to score. My first impressions were very good, however. I was genuinely buzzing when I got home, the newspaper lay on the arm of the chair for me. I flicked through it; ‘Phone Hacking Scandal Brought To Light’
‘Phone Hacking Could Be Made Good’
“More phone hacking **** I see,” I called to the house in general.
“Yeah, I saw,” came the shout from the bedroom upstairs.
I turned the paper over, greeted by a large picture of me, next to a picture of Andre Villas-Boas. My triumphant smile covered to back of the page with the words; YOUTH IS THE NAME OF THE GAME’. Interested, I turned the page. It was mainly about players and the way the youth i stepping it up on the big stage, but right at the end, a reasonably-sized section on the young managers stepping it up involved me greatly, which I was very ,very pleased about. I read the match report as well, basically, all it said was we had played reasonably well, but going by this performance, we were destined for a lowly playoff position. I did not believe it, yes, we could have played better, but a win’s a win and this was the early season.
stock-photo-modern-dentist-s-chair-in-a-medical-room-33734341.jpg

The next few days were pretty sunny, although the weather was slowly deteriorating slowly; it was windy and very rainy on our next game day. Over at Chrystal Palace was always gonna be tough, and even more so with two of our top strikers out injured: Nikola Zigic with a groin strain, and Marlon King with a damaged knee cartilage. I went to see the lads in the hospital wing:
“You boys alright?”
“Ha! Not really boss,” Marlon said, smiling slightly.
“Hmm, I wish!” Nikola said, also smiling.
“It’s gonna be tough without you.”
“Is that a compliment?” Marlon asked.
“Suppose,” I said, also laughing. “Well, I wish you two a speedy recovery. All the best.”
“Yeah, thanks, see ya boss.”
“Cheers, see ya.”
the-new-secretary-demotivational-poster-1212693700.jpg

I strolled up the shiny corridor, heels were clicking behind me. I turned to see my secretary stalking up the corridor.
“Ah, Chris, I was told I would find you here.”
“What can I do for you, Mary?”
“Oh, Mr Coton wanted you, he’s waiting in your office.”
“Oh right, is that all?”
“Urm, no. Here is the oppositions team sheet, and, the doctor’s report on Nikola and Marlon’s recovery rate.” She smiled, and handed me two folders.
“Thanks Mary, can you go down to the scouts’ room and send up Steve Nickson please? Thanks.”
“Yeah, yeah sure.”
She clicked her heels all the way down the corridor and up the stairs, I stayed there until she was out of sight, then turned and continued back towards my office.

“Morning Chris,” Coton said, standing as the door swung open.
“Morning. Now, what did you want to see me about?”
“Palace’s team sheet. Have you seen it yet?”
“Nah, Mary just gave it to me, why?”
“They’re an awfully talented team, I was just worrying about our lack of a goal scorer with Nikola out.”
“I know, but I’m pretty happy with Adam upfront. I’m gonna leave things the way they are for the time being.”
“Well, that’s what I was thinking, but what about after that?”
“Look, I’m happy. If Adam can’t perform in later weeks before the guys get back from injury, I’ll get some new guys in maybe. But hang on, this isn’t the most talented Palace team, we have a great chance to win; was the striker issue the only worry you had?”
“Well, there are some other things, but can we discuss this later? I’ve gotta go talk to the players. Thanks”
I nodded and slumped forward, head in hands. Why was he bringing these things up now? Why? Why? Why? Argh! I pulled out our team sheet, and our squad list. There were some weaknesses, I knew. But why before a game? It was so frustrating! I threw the papers on the floor.
There was a knock at the door, “Yes?” It was my secretary.
“You busy? Steve’s here.”
“No, bring him in.”
“Okay.” She said, withdrawing.
“Hi Chris, you wanted to see me?”
“Steve, please sit down.” He looked slightly worried, but sat down. “I just wanted to ask you to see if you could come up with some youth candidates over the next few days, just a quick search.”
“Oh, yeah sure. Is that all?”
“Yeah, yeah. I need to prepare anyway. Thanks.”
The stands were booming again, pounding at my ears as I ran up towards Coton in the runnel. I was slightly late, but just about on time. I looked up the line, the players were looking slightly more nervous than our last game at home.
We were dominated early on, and were lucky to get away from the early minutes without conceding a goal. We got a bit of pressure on soon after that, with Adam Rooney coming close. A slick counter attack, of which we had been working on in training, produced a great chance, but it was only the side netting for De Lucas. A late corner also wielded a good chance, but it was tidied up by the Palace ‘keeper. We got off the blocks early in the second and almost scored early. Palace took advantage of our momentarily flimsy defence as Ambrose potted it home from Riga’s cross. Following a substitute to put Schalke on in place of Rooney, we played another slick passing move to craft a reasonable chance, but we couldn't put it home. De Lucas had another chance, but again, he couldn’t put it home. A late goal from Palace all but sealed the defeat for us, a brilliant 30-yard blast off a corner impressed me despite it being against us.
The dressing room was silent when I entered. Towels covered many of the guys’ faces, and others just sat there staring into space.
“I hope you learn from this. This was poor overall, but let’s not nit-pick. There were good signs. Anyone think they know what I’m talking about?”
Stephen Carr spoke up, “Our attacking play?”
“Well, yes. Specifically, our counter attacking was working well.” The lads seemed cheered by that. “Get changed then boys, we’ll get back early.”
0,,10412~9373459,00.jpg