Personally I think you are playing much to wide, I would untick width in 'team instructions' and and start the match using the 'play wider shout'.
By playing with so much width you are easier to carve open and if things are going pear shaped its good to have the option to use shouts to control width so you can make yourself harder to pass through.
I would also untick the defencive line box and start the match using the 'play deeper' shout for the same reason.
To see how this affects your instructions, just before you kick off you can activate a pre made shout on the team talk screen then just go to team instructions to see how the shout affects the settings.
(as you may or may not know, by manually adjusting a slider or ticking a box 'shouts' will no longer affect this setting)

I am not so familiar with your team but if I was playing 4-4-2 counter I would plumb for a poacher/deep laying forward combo or lone poacher and attacking midfielder/advanced playmaker 4-4-1-1, basically somebody playing off the poachers shoulder. Make the poacher the target man and set delivery to 'runs onto ball'
Both fullbacks as 'autos' and both wide men as either wide mid supports or defencive wing supports (but that's more a general rule of thumb than anything)

Other shouts I might use at the start of the match if I'm playing counter attack are;

1. Run at defence
  2. Get ball forward
  3. Pass to space
  4. Clear to the flanks (depends on where I'm attacking)

Training tactics in both general and match training to get fluid a.s.a.p then balanced in general training (I personally micro manage this to reflect the game/style I am trying to emulate) and match training should be set from what you already know of the opposition team from latest scouting reports IE: injuries etc, your own current form and squad strength plus good old manager gut feeling.

Last edited:
Turn off the sliders, firstly.

I'm not sure what you're trying to do. Very wide and very deep in a flat 4-4-2? You're just going to be dragged apart way too easily. What sort of playing style are you trying to achieve? What are you actually trying to do? We can't really help, because we don't really know what you're aiming for.

Lost the Leeds game 12-1. Oh, well. never mind. There is always the next game. Plus I am trying which is the least expected of us.

And I am learning. I took both your advice. I turned of the sliders in the Specific Instructions in the Team Instructions as you requested Jac4121993 and I used the shouts mentioned by Mitre Delta 1000.
I also have learned from this never to alter the sliders in the player setup too much and to keep it at what I call the default setting. When the box for each slider is unticked you can see shaded in grey a setting. So if it says "Rarely" for "Run with the ball" I ought not to put it to "Often".
I used the game to play around with the player instructions. I tried to get a more attractive, positive set of instructions for each player. Set mentality to 'attack'. Set to 'often' where I can. And I have learned not to in the future.

The glass should always be hall-full when it comes to FM.

I'm still not sure what you're trying to do bud. I'm going to start up a save with Charlton just to see if I can offer you any tips. It may be best to restart the save and spend an hour or two messing around, trying to figure things out.

Right, I've had a reasonable look at the Charlton side now. Here's what I'm thinking is the best formation based on what you've got (you can change a few things if you want).

Team Instructions - Fluid, Counter. More Direct, More Disciplined, More Aggressive, Zonal Marking. You could maybe make change the tackling to Default. Don't forget to use opposition instructions.

From right to left.

GK/D - Hamer

FB/S - Solly
LD/D - Dervite
CD/D - Morrison
WB/S - Wiggins

CM/A -Jackson/Hollands. (You need to sign a new goalscoring mid here I think, Jackson is better for the role than Hollands for now).
CM/D - Pritchard
DLP/S - Stephens

DW/S - Wilson
IF/A - Haynes/Cook until Haynes is fit.

DLF/S - Fuller

Players out:

Kerkar, Green, Sullivan, Hughes (when he's fit) and possibly Wright-Philips.

Use the funds to sign a backup right back and another CM or two if you can.

These tactics are based on the players available, as well as the fact that the team (on the Comparison page) is one of the weakest in the league. You should be aiming to just try and avoid the drop the first season.

Edit: Try reading through this.

http://www.pushthemwide.co.uk/fm13-beginners-resource-pack/

Last edited:
Don't forget to use opposition instructions.

I have never used that. Don't see the point. It like a manager being in charge of two opposing teams. What does that do?

Anyway I have been sacked so I can put Charlton Athletic behind me. I have just been appointed Bromley manager. It is a low-risk club. If I still am finding myself failing as a manager I don't want to do it at a big PL club. I don't want to relegate someone like Liverpool or West Ham to the Championship. So Bromley is a clean slate.

Opposition instructions are HUGELY important. It has nothing to do with telling your opponents what to do, it has everything to do with telling your players how to handle certain opponents.

Say you're normally a side that sets up deep, soak up the pressure and hit them on the counter attack. You notice that one of their midfielders has low Composure and low First Touch. You can set a specific opposition instruction to close down that particular player ALWAYS (because closing down low Composure and low First Touch may allow you to easily get the ball back for a counter attack), but without changing the entire tactical set up of your side. It's very useful for targeting weaker players in the opposing side.

Edit: Did you read the link at the bottom of my previous post? I think it would be very helpful for you.

Last edited:
I did yes. I am finding it incredibly helpful once I digest the terminology and also how the advice play out in practice. For example it states in "Opposition Instructions"

Always Close Down is helpful when an opponent has no composure, pace or dribbling ability as he will struggle to get past your player and this will make them far easier to win the ball from.

Once I understand how an instruction affects both my players and the opposition and when it is best to use it and when it is best not to use it then I am sure it will all become clear.

Your help is priceless as always.