seanhrfc

Reaction score
View attachment 467639

Hi all, with FM14 just round the corner I have decided to create one final save and I'm going to turn it into a story. I will be taking on Crystal Palace using LFCMarshall's latest update, so they will be starting in the Premier League with all the players they currently have in real life. Interestingly, in the three times they have gained promotion to the Premier League previously they had been relegated straight away. My job is to save them. To make this game a lot more realistic I have taken out the first transfer window budgets, so I will have to use the current group of players only. However, I will have a job on my hands to gel in all of the players that former manager Ian Holloway brought in - no less than 14!

Holloway's Transfers

View attachment 467638

At first glance it seems that although there is a lot of depth, i.e. a lot of ****** players, there seems to be a lack of quality. It is now down to me to spend the next few months sorting the good from the deadwood so that I can strengthen in January

Squad

View attachment 467634
View attachment 467633

Key Players

View attachment 467632View attachment 467631

These two men are going to be key to my season. Jedinak is the leader, providing bite in midfield. I will be relying on his abilities to break down opposition attacks. Whilst at the other end I will be hoping Chamakh can find better consistency than he did at Arsenal, as he will be key in creating chances for the pacey Jerome / Gayle as well as finishing off chances himself

Hot Prospects

View attachment 467630View attachment 467629

The first prospect of note is home-grown boy Jon Williams. It is likely that he will be loaned out to the championship as I'm not sure he will be consistent enough for the premier league yet, but certainly one for the future. Also Palace have signed a real gem in Campana, who will provide the creativity in midfield alongside Jedinak's steel.

Career Goals

Short Term

• Develop the club's facilities / personnel (total re-structure of backroom staff)
  • First Season: Avoid Relegation (Minimum) Comfortable Mid-Table (Desired) Top Half (Over Achievement)
  • Three Seasons: Qualify for Europe
  • Develop Young British Players
Long Term

• Win the Premier League
  • Win the Champions Leaguel
  • Develop a home-grown at club legend
  • Bring back Wilfried Zaha and develop him to his full potential
  • Achieve 4.5* coaching in every category and have top class facilities

Last edited:
View attachment 467628

Backroom Shuffle

View attachment 467627
View attachment 467626

Went for a complete overhaul of my staff, sacking everyone apart from our u18s manager Gary Issott. Have to say, they had some of the worst coaches I have seen! All up to a good level now

Free Transfers

View attachment 467625

With all the transfers already needing to gel in with the squad, I wasn't planning on delving into the free transfer market. However I though the squad lacked real quality at centre back, so I brought in the experienced Chris Baird. His versatility is also a bonus

Pre-Season

View attachment 467624

A mixed pre-season, but I'm not one that's too concerned about friendly results. I left games to my Assistant apart from the Palermo game.

The Line-up

View attachment 467623

I will be using my Arrigo Sacchi 4-4-2. I think the above line-up is my current strongest, but I guess the first few games will shape that. August Update to follow

View attachment 467621

August 2012

Crystal Palace 4-0 West Brom (Premier League)
Chamakh, Bannan, Baird, Kebe
View attachment 467622

An amazing start to the campaign, we truly crushed West Brom. Jedinak was top quality

Chelsea 2-0 Crystal Palace (Premier League)
None
View attachment 467620

Well our feet were put firmly back on the ground by Chelsea. Their superiority shone through and we still struggled to create chances after their sending off

Swindon 0-4 Crystal Palace (Capital One Cup)
Dikgacoi, Marange, Guedioura, Gayle
View attachment 467619

It was a chance for our fringe players to show what they've got and they did. We took our chances well and we've now got 8 different goalscorers for the season

Player of the Month

Chris Baird

View attachment 467618

Put in top performances in the two 4-0 wins and was one of the few players to play ok vs Chelsea

Last edited:
no worrys mate keep it up and nice to see you are using your 442 so prem and 2 cups in your first season then

no worrys mate keep it up and nice to see you are using your 442 so prem and 2 cups in your first season then

I don't think so with this team, will be very happy with a mid-table finish. I do want to build up a team of young brits though, any personal recommendations you'd like to see?

none really mate seen a couple of folks play with palace and come in the top 5 but cant wait to see how you do hope you can make them as big as you can off topic do you still play your san marino save

none really mate seen a couple of folks play with palace and come in the top 5 but cant wait to see how you do hope you can make them as big as you can off topic do you still play your san marino save

Hope I can do a top job here, its proving tough already though as these players really aren't cut out for the level. I haven't played that in a while, its on my old laptop.

gotta job cut out for you separateing good from bad, good luck, following

gotta job cut out for you separateing good from bad, good luck, following

Cheers, i've had a tough start with the fixtures but i guess that's the brutal reality of the premier league. Better hope I can pick up points against the teams in and around the bottom half.

Cheers, i've had a tough start with the fixtures but i guess that's the brutal reality of the premier league. Better hope I can pick up points against the teams in and around the bottom half.

Ur probably expected to get relagated so if u finish the bottom half of mid table u've done great

Ur probably expected to get relagated so if u finish the bottom half of mid table u've done great

Yeah this may prove one of my toughest games yet considering i've not done any transfers. Finding it frustratingly enjoyable haha.

well you have got better players than i had in my first season in the prem with my barnsley save and i came 15th so you should be fine mate

View attachment 467617

September 2012 Update

Crystal Palace 1-4 Man City (Premier League)
Chamakh
View attachment 467614

Man City showed how clinical they could be against our shocking defensive performance

Arsenal 3-1 Crystal Palace (Premier League)
Phillips
View attachment 467616

We were bossed by Arsenal who in beating us managed to crush our team's morale. A team meeting is needed to pick us up

Crystal Palace 5-1 Sunderland (Premier League)
Campana (2), Mariappa, Bannan, Chamakh
View attachment 467613

Back to winning ways in style. Campana oozed class, particularly his 35 yard free-kick

Crystal Palace 0-0 Wigan (Capital One Cup)
None
View attachment 467611

Time for the fringe boys to give it a go again. Unfortunately it resulted in a bore draw and a penalty shoot out win after some horrendous misses by Wigan

Swansea 1-3 Crystal Palace (Premier League)
Bannan, Chamakh, Baird
View attachment 467612

Another cracking result. Swansea dominated possession but failed to create real chances. Whereas we were prolific, with two goals bagged from set-pieces to boot

Player of the Month

View attachment 467615

Barry Bannan

A couple of goals and a couple of assists, Barry's starting to make that left wing position his own.

League Table

View attachment 467610

Well, have to say after losing 3 of the first 4 games I was not expecting to be sitting in 6th at the end of September. Would love to stay up there, but a **** of a lot of football to be played.

Expected losses to City and Arsenal, but what results against Sunderland and Swansea!!!!!Well Done mate!!!!