One man,one goal,one heart,one soul, one golden chance

CCFCFAN

Reaction score
16th​ of May 2005

PROLOGUE

ARMY MAN, EH?

“Come on Hawkins! Quick or else we’ll leave without!” yelled Captain Jones as I put my water canister in my bag. I ran to the chopper as my best mate Private Watts handed me a rifle.

“This is new.” I said surprised looking at the new weapon HKMP5 stencilled on the gun.

“State-of-the-art, Matt, Heckler & Koch MP5 sub machine gun it’s what the SAS use” replied Corporal Spencer

“So where are we going?” I asked

“Do you ever listen, Privet Hawkins?” asked the rich stuck-up so-and-so named Lieutenant Tolley

“No can’t say I do Jackie-boy” I replied to a round of laughs

“Well as you asked, Private, I’ll tell you. We’re going to Helmand Province the most dangerous part of this disgusting nation” Tolley said with utter distaste on the word “Private”. You see the Tolley family were the classic posh Brits serving “Queen and country” as they put it for as long as people care to remember. Tolley spoke like a proper Toff and only knew us as “Private/ Lance Corporal/ Corporal/ Sergeant whatever “commoners”, what cheek! He’s not quite what I’d say friendly and in the mess he goes off with his posh “associates” as he calls them, they go off to the front to call about “rugger” rugby one of the worst sports in existence, a game of massive men charging into each other with an egg in hand, the talk of rugby amongst a platoon so football-orientated disgusts me the speech is disgraceful.

“Oh, old chap,” they say “how could such an intelligent fellow like you feel that Northampton could beat Leicester! That’s like saying a Welsh team could win the Heineken Cup!” they talk constantly about the Welsh with utter disgust, those idiots call us a “third-world country” and that we’re of no use to the UK.

As the copter started taking us away from the camp I felt a sudden plunge in my stomach and I knew the reason, around this time the camp was in a jovial mood the FA Cup final and all the Play-offs were to be played and the build-up was amazing but now, as we were going to Helmand we’d miss it all we’d be out there for months hiding in the sand and trying not to get killed. It sounds like **** but I was looking forward to it, anticipating the battles I guess I’m a bit mad but for me this is what being a soldier is all about, they say you need a certain personality, grit and determination, a drive to succeed. The 1,055 kilometer flight from Feyzabad in Badakhshan in the north to Sangin in Helmand in the south wasto be a long one, so I decided to have a little nap as we flew over the snowy mountains of the northern province.

mp5ka4.jpg

THE PRESENT (JULY 2011)

I’m still haunted by that day at night. The month of May is a month which I dread like a German/Spanish football fan dreads the winter break. Of course you must be thinking, what the **** is this guy on about? All he did was take a quick nap. I can explain. The copter crashed due to a fault in the system, no terrorists, no bombs a faulty flaming cylinder in the engine, its ridiculous! It had been built to withstand sand in the engine and it crashed and killed most of us. The Captain, Watts, Spencer, Tolley and I were the only survivors. I’d woken after a few hours and felt a jolt in the copter then heard a bang, I’d been alerted by the noise and I’m extremely paranoid so I bailed immediately followed by Tolley a few of the lads were to slow and were then engulfed in flames some managed to bail with flames on them but seeing their charred bodies did it for me. I’d been thinking about leaving the Army and then I decided I would. I left the Army and returned to Wales a few weeks later I had received an envelope which was quite heavy, a letter thanking me for my service and then a handwritten note and some mug shots

Hi Matt, thought you’d want to hear this don’t show anyone else though, OK?
Your mate,
Private Watts

I picked up a mug shot of Tolley and read underneath

Lieutenant Tolley
DOB-13.7.1982
Status-KIA

It was the same for Spencer and I doubled over. My allies, people I’d shared a tent with, people I could trust well, the ONLY people I could trust either dead or under fire in Afghanistan. Life isn’t fair, I thought, it’s a whole bag of lies. Perhaps I could find work as a policeman or in TESCO but then realised, I couldn’t do a 9-5 I crave action that’s why I joined the Army so that I could fulfil my craving for action so that my job would be interesting. I only joined the Army for action, not honour, not pride in the nation, I wanted a thrill and I got one al right? Six years of service in the British Army would look good on a cv mind. I’m a football nut you see, born and bred Cardiff City. I’ve watched City since the age of four and enjoyed watching the games thoroughly and developed a bit of tactical interest and after I’d left school I went to take the courses needed to be eligible to be a Football League coach/manager. The course had been hard but I’d come out in flying colours (apparently) now it was time to put those skills to the test. I decided I wanted to become a football manager (or coach).

images

**********************************************************************************************
Hey guys, I’ve done a few stories in the past, none have been that successful I’d like to know how you think the story is coming on and which areas I could Improve on and how you think I should play and who I should sign

CONSTRUCTIVE CRITISCM IS EXTREMELY WELCOME

Looking good so far. Looking forward to updates!

This is quite similar to BigVic's Cook Islands story which was legendary. But this looks like it could be better.
Give mines a quick read if you can get a chance please. Die Bayern - Kahn's Back. KUTGW

Thanks for the comments lads, held back as homework and football etc takes over.Next update mayb Tuesday/Wednesday.Sorry for delay
@DieBayern thanks mate,read your story really keep it up

Excellent start mate, cant wait to see how you do and how the story about the war continues if you are gonna do that.

A strangers meeting

CHAPTER 1

Gio’s restaurant, Darlington

2nd​ July 2011

The two men nodded as they shook hands both in dark three-piece suits one a tall European the other an average sized Asian.

“Good evening, Mister Singh” the one man said with a slight French accent before being lead to their table by a tubby Italian waiter.

“Good evening to you as well, Monsieur Baudin” replied Singh an Asian businessman “you have been keeping well I trust?”

“Merci, merci, Monsieur I have had some small trouble the family as I must spend many hours of time away from home to go to the university in Edinburgh but it is all settled now.” Said the lean Frenchman

“Now then, Toni, you said you have a proposal for me?” asked Singh

“Ah yes, Monsieur Singh, as you are aware your football club is in need of a new manager for this coming season and beyond” Baudin said while Singh nodded “but perhaps we should discuss it over dinner”

The waiter came and went and starters went through to main course, then pudding and then finally coffee. The two men kept up average conversation and as Singh held his coffee to his mouth Baudin spoke.

“This man passed with flying colours at the university in Edinburgh” Baudin explained slapping down a five centimetre thick file “he is the best I’ve seen in a long while, the best since I helped a young man named Roberto Martinez come through the ranks. You know where he is now” Baudin continued referring to Wigan manager Roberto Martinez. Singh picked up the file and looked at a picture of a young man with brown hair and blue eyes

“You have talked of this man before, have you not Monsieur Baudin?” Singh asked expectantly

“Yes I have Mister Singh, he is a brilliant option for a club of your stature” Baudin told the businessman “he is, how the British say “the dogs”, he joined the Army in 2002 and left three years later after a traumatic experience”

“What is he doing now?” Singh asked

“Jobs for ex-Armed Forces are extremely hard to come by in Britain” Baudin explained “he is currently stacking-shelves at TESCO” Singh had finished reading the file.

“Monsieur Baudin, what is this man’s number?” Singh asked

“575 96 78” Baudin replied

Singh opened up his phone and rang the number.

“Hello, is this Mr Hawkins?”

orange-spv-c500.jpg

CHAPTER II-HATRED

CHAPTER 2

HATRED

FLABACK 1

19th​ of September 2004, Afghanistan

The bullets whizzed over my head as I ducked after noticing the man coming out of the doorway. My companion, Corporal Lenster, wasn’t so lucky or quick the bullet hit him straight in the chest, the bullet penetrating the tubes around his heart, killing him instantly. I scrambled to my feet and ran grabbing Corporal Lenster; our attackers knew the area better than I did so I decided to go back the way we came and getting to our make-shift base of Jeeps and sandbags, I heard gunshots behind me and I had a scary moment when a bullet whizzed over my head but I eventually found the base. The two chasing Afghans decided that they wouldn’t risk running into fifteen well-trained British soldiers and backed off, I dragged Lenster past our little sort of checkpoint of sandbags and laid him down. Corporal Lenster was only twenty-three and had a younger brother aged twenty, who shed a tear over his older brother. It was then, that moment standing over Corporal Lenster’s rigid body was when it hit me, war wasn’t nice, it wasn’t a game of soldiers or a matter of pride, war had no rules besides one. Win. The will to succeed was greater than any training, any gun your bosses could give you, you had to be rough, tough and ready, you had to be able to kill without feeling a thing, that didn’t come easy to me as I would find out later. At that moment I despised everything Britain and America stood for, war, they had to do. They may have been in that poncey United Nations but that didn’t mean jackshit, I hated the government they didn’t know what it was like, being forced to see a man die in the backstreets of an Afghan village, at that moment I saw my true non-patriotic colours

Afghanistan-War.jpg

af.gif

Sorry for lack of updates school,homework you know average stuff etc

Last edited:
CHAPTER 3

THE WORST TEAM IN THE FOOTBALL LEAGUE

SKY SPORTS NEWS AT SIX

“Officially branded the worst team in the Football League by pundits Barnet have recently sacked manager Lawrie Sanchez for not fulfilling the club’s expectations in line for the job are Cambridge’s Jez George and ex-Cardiff City assistant Terry Burton.”

A week later

The flash of the cameras blinded many and especially a new man on the job his first experience of it. But Matthew Hawkins wasn’t intimidated, he didn’t fear much anymore not after what he’d seen.

BBC-“You sit here as new manager of Barnet FC how do you feel?”

Me-“On top of the world I feel like I’m hot stuff at the moment”

BBC-“You arrive after Lawrie Sanchez left, you have big boots to fill”

Me-“It would have been hard anyway and taking it on after someone like Lawrie makes it even harder”

ITV-“How about player’s do you know what you’re going to do?”

Me-“I’ve hardly been here an hour so no, not yet”

SSN-“Thank you for your time Mr Hawkins”

Barnet, eh? The worst team in the ******* Football League and I’m there manager, poor finances, poor players, poor management time for a Brian Clough job.

180px-Barnet_FC.svg.png

Brian_Clough.jpg

CHAPTER 4

ADMINISTRATIVE MESS-UP

“We’re sorry Mister Hawkins, it turns out that it was a mess-up we were trying to sack Sanchez’s assistant not Sanchez himself. We’re extremely sorry”

The drive back to Cardiff was a long one with those words replaying in my mind, being forced out of Barnet after a few days not even a week. An administrative ****-up they called back to the dole for me I guess.

JANUARY THE SEVENTH 2012

ABERYSTWYTH NEWS

ALAN MORGAN TERMINATES CONTRACT

Today shock news as fourth in Corbett Sports Premier League Aberystwyth Town’s manager Alan Morgan leaves the club. Aberystwyth, a point behind third-placed Llanelli have done well this season and are bewildered by Morgan’s decision.

“It’s strange I tell you that for free but” said 49-year-old season ticket holder Gwyn Williams

“I’d like to see a young manager come in” 18-year-old Rhys Jones said

It’s all debates at Park Avenue at the moment.

By Wyn Evans BBC Wales Sport

That’s perfect! I exclaimed. Aberystwyth a place I hold close to my heart a beautiful place in West Wales with a nice seaside, lovely everything that’s good about Wales, a small town with nice hills a beach, oh it’s a glorious place believe you me. Anyway I’d love to manage that club now where’s my phone?….

1 HOUR LATER

I rang my old head teacher and friend Mister Hayes to come with me to Aberystwyth as he knew the route being an Aber boy himself, I’d bought a tie and arranged a meeting with the owner hopefully all would go well.

CHAPTER 5

JANUARY, FERBUARY, MARCH

After taking over at Aberystwyth I had signed Nicky Fish a central midfielder here’s how my first 3 months went.

JANUARY

ABERYSTWYTH TOWN 4-1 AFAN LIDO-WELSH CUP FOURTH ROUND

Well what a start, a 10th​ minute goal from Josh Shaw put us ahead Shaw then grabbed a second on 46 minutes with Geoff Kellaway adding a screamer on 56. It was plain sailing from there with Michael Howard scoring a peach on 80 minutes, Danny Thomas grabbed a consolation on 86 for the North-Walians.

My verdict-A man of the match performance from youngster Josh Shaw takes us through to the quarter-finals, brilliant!

FEBRUARY

THE NEW SAINTS (OR TOTAL NETWORK SOLUTIONS TO JEFF STELLING) 1-1 ABERYSTWYTH TOWN

A feisty affair and quite drab until a 59th​ minute opener from TNS man Scott Ruscoe which made an enjoyable ending TNS hearts were broken though when Chris Llewelyn popped up with an 86th​ minute equaliser

My verdict-A good draw at the league leaders ground

ABERYSTWYTH TOWN 3-0 AIRBUS UK BROUGHTON

Geoff Kellaway continues his good form today opening the scoring on 29 minutes he then doubled our advantage on 57, Jordan Follows grabbed our third on 92 minutes

My verdict-A good win propels us to third

LLANELLI 0-1 ABRYSTWYTH TOWN

A fairly boring match to be fair the only highlight being Wyn Thomas’ opening goal on 10 minutes a good header from a Geoff Kellaway corner

My verdict-Another strong performance against our rivals

ABERYSTWYTH TOWN 1-3 NEATH

When we went 1-0 up from an Andy Parkinson goal I thought our luck was in but dubious decisions gave Neath a win a Lee Trundle double was followed by a Chris Jones goal for the money-bags

My verdict-Really unlucky today

MARCH

NEATH 5-1 ABERYSTWYTH TOWN-Welsh Cup Quarter-Final

Well, the scoreline says it all they tanked us we were 4-0 down before half-time and eventually lost 5-1 Lee Trundle, Sean Kelly and a Kerry Morgan hat-trick for them Jordan Follows for us

My verdict-We were HAMMERED completely out-classed

BALA 1-2 ABERYSTWYTH TOWN

They went ahead on four minutes through Chris Gethin but Chris Llewelyn and Moses Barnett’s ten-minute double salvo 70th​ and 80th​ clawed it back

My verdict-A good comeback

ABERYSTWYTH 2-2 TNS

Another draw! And Andy Parkinson double and Phil Baker + Ryan Faurghan for them shared the points

AIRBUS 2-2 ABERYSTWYTH

They scored we scored they scored we scored simples.

APRIL

ABERYSTWYTH 2-6 NEATH
LLYWELYN----------TRUNDLE x5
PARKINSON----------MORGAN

LLANELLI 2-4 ABERYSTWYTH
Barnett x2---Lynch x2
Llywelyn
Lynch OG

BALA 2-0 ABERYSTWYTH
Hunt
Jones

EUROPEAN QUALIFICATION

SEMIS
ABERYSTWYTH 2-0 PORT TALBOT
Macaulay
Kellaway

LLANELLI 0-0 AIRBUS (p)

FINAL
ABERYSTWYTH 0-1 AIRBUS
-----------------------McManus 113

TENSIONS SNAP AT ABER

Today the Aberystwyth chairman revealed that he had sacked manager Matthew Hawkins after failing to reach the Europa League. Hawkins’ aim when he took over was to guide them to the top-half of the Corbett Sports Welsh Premier League which he did and was within seven minutes of Europe.

The manager is known nationwide but he fears it will be hard to get a job.

“Not many teams will take a sacked manager never mind how good they are” he told the Western Mail