Reaction score
Evening all. Decided to do out a story to last me till FM 14 hits the Steam Shelves.

I'll be staring unemployed as a Sunday League Player (Rep). I'm making no sweeping decelerations like, I'm going to win everything there is to win: This is just the story of a man in Management who wants a career.
I'll be focusing more on my own career rather than the teams long term future. So expect me to move on if a better club come calling :p

"Move it Left, MOVE IT LEFT!!!!!, Ah for Christ sake!"
The roar in the Stadium was deafening! 51,000 people had packed themselves into the Aviva Stadium to watch Ireland loose to Germany in this European World Cup Qualifier. The man on the touchline screaming abuse at his players, nope, that's not me. Though I wish it was. I'm the idiot sitting in my local, screaming abuse at the flickering image on TV.

"**** it! John, order me a drink! I'm going outside for a ***!"

This was the day that I decided, enough was enough. I spent the next 2 years getting coaching badges, working dead end jobs to pay my rent as I volunteered with local clubs. I'd gotten sick of sitting on a couch, playing armchair manager. I was ready to get out there and try to do the unthinkable, manage a football team . . . . . well, I'll hand out CV's after the Liverpool match!

The Newry Chapter

"Mr O'Grady? This is William McDermott: Chairman of Newry City Football Club in N.Ireland. I'd like to offer you a job"

I was so excited to have been offered a job that I forgot to check up on them. I knew nothing about them, even their league position. I said yes and immediately looked up the league table. . . . . . . You can only imagine my dismay.

View attachment 379923
Dead botom, 15 losses and 11 points from safety and a nervous wreck of a manager!
Well done Brendan, I've just gifted myself a horrid debut job.

After 6 shots of Whiskey and drowning my sorrows in the first bar I could find in this strange town, I got to work and look ed at my team sheet. . . . . . .No strikers . . . . .not one.

"What in Gods name was this club playing at!!! No wonder they had only won two **** matches all season"

I immediately made some calls and fond a striker, unfortunately, he wouldn't accept to an armature contract so I had to use up the go over my wage budget and sign him.

The fixture list is unforgiving but ****, I'll have to give it my best shot. I either stay up or I go down. Either way Newry will be my home for now.

Last edited:
This story seems so realistic man, like start unemployed and start off with smaller teams just for a casual management job and take bigger jobs! I will be reading future posts on this man! Good luck with newry!

The Dry Spell

View attachment 380151
"Be a Football Manager they said,
It'll be fun they said!"

Some **** at Newry City F.C.

View attachment 380160
Newry City 1 : 1 Institute
View attachment 380162

An early goal in a game we were expected to loose heavily saw us on to a credible point,
and the first point in my managerial career.

View attachment 380161
Coagh United 5 : 4 Newry City
View attachment 380158

While some may criticize the team for conceding 5 goals,
I was utterly thrilled with the team for scoring 4.
Bottom of the table, moral as low as a strippers G-String,
I couldn't wait to see what this team could do with belief and direction!

Still though, we need the wins to stay up and this is 2 games where we've dropped 5 points.
It's not looking good.

Note: New signing Vincent Sweeney netted his first goal for the club. Long may it continue

View attachment 380163
Newry City 1 : 2 ARDS

View attachment 380164

This game was particularly hard to stomach. I thought we'd done enough to get a point.
A late laps in concentration cost us dearly and what a price to pay.

View attachment 380165

Iron will O'Grady

View attachment 380170
"They say happiness can be found
at the bottom of an empty glass.
I just see an empty glass"

The drunk man sitting next to me.

We had been relegated. I had received the letter from the N.Ireland First Division
this morning confirming what I already knew. Though I knew I took on a sinking ship, I thought that maybe, just maybe, I could have saved this team.

"I'd done it on Football Manager countless times before"

I was quickly becoming a regular in my the local! The Barman, Jerry, a nice chap, was full of sympathy for me but it fell on deaf ears.

I walked into my office only to find a Transfer Request sitting on my desk.

View attachment 380173

It had been submitted by Garry Massey, my 1st choice goalkeeper.

"Since the club has been relegated, he needs to move on to benefit his career."

I read through it and I could feel the rage building inside of me.

"Barry!!! Get the **** in here!" I yelled.

The Goalkeeper walked in and I quickly shut the door behind him.

View attachment 380183

O'Grady: "What the **** is this?"
Massey: "Well Boss, we've been relegated and I think I..."
O'Grady: "I don't give a flying **** what you think. Why do you think we've been relegated huh? Do you think the N.Irish FA is being mean? Think they see us as a threat to their glorious plans for world domination? NO!!! We've been relegated because when I arrived, we were sitting dead last, with only 8 measly points to show for ourselves. If you really gave a **** about your career, you wouldn't have conceded Forty-*******-two goals!"
Massey: "But what about my Defense? Not all of those goals were my fault!"
O'Grady: "And do you see them in here handing in transfer requests? No. And do you want to know why? Because they know they screwed up this season and we are going down because the whole team screwed up!"
Massey:
"Okay Boss, I'm Sorry"
I picked up the letter,

ripped it in half and
threw it in the bin.

O'Grady: "I will not accept this transfer request. . . . . .Because when we bounce back next year, I don't want you to have made stupid a mistake. You had a bad season, so what! Dust yourself off kid and fight for your place, don't run from it. **** the papers, **** the critics! What do they know? You're the one with the gloves on your hands! Prove them all wrong! You're my 1st choice Goalkeeper, believe in yourself to succeed!"

Note: "Thought I'd give my own interpretation to the Manager/Player interaction in FM13"

The End of the Beginning

View attachment 381027Larne F.C. 3 : 3 Newry City
View attachment 381028
Just waiting for this season to be over to be honest.
Only playing for pride now and not much pride to
be found in these results.

View attachment 381029Newry City 3 : 4 Loughgall F.C.
View attachment 381030
Conceding 2 goal in the last 20 mins.
Can't get lucky with this team for love nor money!

View attachment 381031Limavady United 3 : 0 Newry City
View attachment 381032
*insert inspirational speech about finding triumph in adversity*

View attachment 381033Newry City 4 : 1 Dergview F.C.
View attachment 381036View attachment 381041It left really good to see the guys smiling again.
Ever since the clubs relegations was confirmed, there
had been a strange feeling in the air.
To win the final game and give the fans something
to cheer about was great

Hopefully next season would be better and we'll bounce straight back up. The only matter left to decide is my contract. It's up in one month and they want me to take a monthly pay cut of £800. They may loose me before I see this club do well

What's happeneing in the rest of Europe

Now to bring you results from around the world of football

England
Premier League
View attachment 381046

FA Cup

View attachment 381044

Football League Cup
View attachment 381045
UEFA Champions League
Chelsea, Man Utd, Liverpool & Arsenal

UEFA Europa League

Norwich, Everton & Swansea

Spain
Liga BBVA
View attachment 381047

Copa Del Rey

View attachment 381048
UEFA Champions League
R.Madrid, Barcelona, At.Madrid & At.Bilbao

UEFA Europa League
Sevila, Betis & R.Sociedad

Germany
Bundesliga
View attachment 381053
DFB-Pokal
View attachment 381054
UEFA Champions League
Dortmund, Gladbach, Bayern & Stuttgart

UEFA Europa League
Hannover, Schalke & Franfurt

Italy

Serie A
View attachment 381055
Coppa Italia
View attachment 381056
UEFA Champions League
F.C. Inter, Juventus & ACF Fiorentina

UEFA Europa League
Roma, Napoil & Lazio

Love the look of this mate, will be doing one myself.

Great story mate, looking forward to reading more!

Wouldn't want to increase your problem with spam posts in this thread but really looking forward to this story. I myself have failed miserably in such a challenge.

I resigned from Newry and took a job at an armature Indonesian team.
No one seemed to be following though so I since gave up.

I'll be having a go at another one of these Journeyman stories in FM14 though so keep an eye out for that.