One Way Ticket Back to the Top - The Ten Season Plan

Reaction score
View attachment 1098614
Many of you will have seen the Aston Villa of old and most of you will have seen the Aston Villa of last season, night and day you would say. My Aim is to take Villa from the Championship back into the Premier League and onto bigger and better things.

Aston Villa had their spell of one of the best teams in England and I want to take them back to that to add to their 7 top division trophies.

Last season Aston Villa were abysmal and although I am not personally a Villa fan I feel bad for anyone who was last season.

I'm not a football manager goddess so I am giving myself a target of ten season to have Villa up the top end of the Premier League, here is my evaluation of how I plan it to go;

Season One: Promotion from Championship to Premier League.
Season Two: Avoid relegation from the Premier League.
Season three: Mid-table Premier League finish.
Season Four: Top Half Premier League Finish.
Season Five: In or around Europa League places.
Season Six: Finish in a European place.
Season Seven: Decent Europa League run.
Season Eight: Finish in Champions League places.
Season Nine: Finish in Champions League places / Good performance in Champions League group stages.
Season Ten: Challenge at the top end of Premier League whilst making it to Knockout stages of Champions League.

I feel that target is very possible and I plan on reaching it by good recruitment, in order to get to the top we will be a feeder club. Bringing in bargain buy players then selling them on for high value in order to shoot up our finances. I will avoid signing players who have no future possibility of a big sale, this basically means no players over thirty but I will make the odd exception. Young English blooded players will be my main point of focus as I also plan on bringing through plenty top English players in order to make England a strong nation again.

Last edited:
August 2016

The time has arrived, the season will begin for Aston Villa in which they hope for an immediate return to the top flight in English football. No new players brought in as I plan on doing my business in the summer with maybe a couple deals in January depending on whether or not the right player becomes available. A decent pre season in which we looked very good and scored plenty of goals, but now onwards to the first game of the season.

View attachment 109513Always disappointing to lose the opening game but plenty of positives for sure, a lot of money spent in the summer to bring Ross McCormack to the club and he has hopefully shown what is to come with a debut hat trick here. First lesson in my Villa career learned: We need to tighten up at the back as we defended very poorly and were too open.

View attachment 109511

First win but we won't get too excited, Leyton Orient had a man sent off early and we really should have gone on and scored a barrel load but we were poor and scrape through. Into the next round of the League Cup now!

View attachment 109509

Much better from us here! Very pleased to get the first league win, McCormack scoring twice means he's notched up five in his first two games.

View attachment 109507
Fairly even game so can't complain too much at a draw, bit disappointed not to make it three wins in a row in all competitions.

View attachment 109505
This one was very even as well, I would say Derby had the better of the chances and at times I was left stunned they didn't score! I think we get slightly lucky here but always good to be on the good side of this type of game.

View attachment 109503
Made this one slightly difficult for ourselves, I'm always confident we'll score goals though and that's a good thing to have. Another three goals for us here and we progress to round three of the League Cup. Only concern here was our goalkeeper with a very bad error, coming out of his box to clear and making a mess of it. I'll remain patient with him for now as he is only twenty-one and shows good potential, worry signs are with him at the minute.

View attachment 109501
Dreadful first half but that first half was made up for dividends in the second half as we cruised it, Kodjia came on at half time for his debut and made an immediate impact. Good win for us and we continue our very good run. Now six games unbeaten involving five wins.

View attachment 109499
Well the table looks very nice at the moment for us, I'm quite pleased. Slightly frustrated with our opening day result as we could have easily been top two had we done better and we should have! McCormack's good start see's him lead the goal scoring charts and hopefully plenty more to follow. That top six is exactly where we want to be around all season and I'm confident if we can stay around that area we will go up.

Player of the month
View attachment 109498
Ross McCormack is my player of the month for us, six goals already is impressive, I expect many more this season. Villa spent a lot of money on him before I joined to bring him to the club so we need to make sure we get our money out of him.

September 2016

Our first game for the new month is a derby and what a poor start to the month it was! Not only did we lose to our rivals but Nicklas Bendtner scored! Forest very deserving of the win as they dominated, Bacuna gives us a goal late on.

View attachment 109170

First goalless draw of the story and quite frustrated really, was hoping for us to bounce back quickly after a derby defeat but with McCormack injured we were lacking in the final third.

View attachment 109169

We scored with under ninety seconds on the clock and I thought we were going to get back into form but then we didn't play at all for the rest of the match and again we were deserving of the defeat, we missed some great chances at 1-0 and should've been more comfortable for us.

View attachment 109168
This game was a strange one we went in at half time 0-0 having had the better of the first half chances and all of a sudden second half we come out like a different team. dreadful defending and we seemed out of the cup after just nine minutes into the second half. We made it more respectable towards the end pulling a couple goals back and even had a couple chances to ****** the equaliser. Highs and lows after our first meeting with Premier League opposition, hopefully there will be more highs next time around but for now we exit the League Cup in the third round.

View attachment 109167
Well...this was embarrassing, Newcastle tearing us apart showing that we have a long way to go. Our poor run continues and we now haven't won any of our four games this month. As we pressed for a way back into the game we left gaps at the back and Newcastle exposed. We did have a couple of decent chances and had we taken them we could well have nicked something here.

View attachment 109165
FINALLY!! We get back on track again by beating Barnsley, it looked like our poor run continue when they took the lead but it then became obvious why Barnsley are struggling near the bottom end of the table when their goalkeeper dropped the ball at Ayew's feet and he fired us level. We were in control from then onwards, Amavi was pushed higher forward for this one as apposed to his left back position we had been playing him, this worked wonders as he fired in a double. It was tight towards the end but thankfully we got over the line to end our poor run.

View attachment 109164
So we finish a poor month in 11th place, it's not the end of the world. I'm confident that'll be the lowest we sit at the end of a month this season. Hopefully we'll now go on and get some results to shoot up into the play offs to end next month in that position. A poor month ended and let's hope it is the worst we'll have this season!

Player of the Month
Pierluigi Gollini
View attachment 109162
Our keeper received much criticism last month and I've named him player of the month for September! Although...it should be remembered we won one game all month so I couldn't exactly give it to an attacker or a defender. Gollini did make a few mistakes but also made many great saves to keep some score lines down. I'm still hoping he can be something special for us.