O'Neill resigned to losing Milner

• Thread starter Thread starter BBC Sport
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 37
  • Views Views 2K
Ridiculously good deal for Aston Villa.

I would bite City's hand off for the rumoured £20+ million & Stephen Ireland.

If I was City I would hold out For RIchards, Ireland, and SWP in exchange. 3 quality players who seem to have fallen out of favour at City.

Although the current deal is still great (A)

Interesting rumour that Manchester City staff think Ireland is one of the five most talented players there. But that's he's the mentally weakest player they've got.

Think he'd do a job for Villa. Meant to be £20m-ish cash.

He seems like quite a odd person alright with what he did to Rep.Of.Ireland and the whole Granny-Gate situation

Good move for villa but if he does go i dont belive he will be in the starting line up Regulary

Should Milner depart from Aston Villa,a deal ranging from £20-£30million would definately be sufficient money for O'Neill to look at more talent and improve his squad come the 2010-11 season.I think that there are quite a few holes that need to be filled and with the money he should get from it,I am sure he will be comfortable in being able to fill them up with some good signings.

I don't know why,but I've always felt that Steven Defour would fit in at Aston Villa.

He seems like quite a odd person alright with what he did to Rep.Of.Ireland and the whole Granny-Gate situation

When journalists start saying a player's a "misunderstood genius", that usually translates into as being mad as a hatter.

Presumably Martin O'Neill needs a 'playmaker' for his innovation in using the rare and unheard of 4-2-3-1 formation (genius that man is, genius is...).*

*sorry - but after five years of seeing one manager slaughtered on a daily basis for being 'negative' for playing that system, it does grind my gears a bit when it's now seen as the height of tactical sophistication and innovation by the very same pundits.

Last edited:
as a villa fan i dont mind if Milner go's just as long we get Ireland with the transfer, i watched Aston Villa play last night against Valencia and we was all over them and we hav a talented player called Marc Albrighton he is a replacement for Milner all i can say is MILNER THE BENCH WARMER FOR MAN CITY

When journalists start saying a player's a "misunderstood genius", that usually translates into as being mad as a hatter.

Presumably Martin O'Neill needs a 'playmaker' for his innovation in using the rare and unheard of 4-2-3-1 formation (genius that man is, genius is...).*

*sorry - but after five years of seeing one manager slaughtered on a daily basis for being 'negative' for playing that system, it does grind my gears a bit when it's now seen as the height of tactical sophistication and innovation by the very same pundits.

You'd be right, if he was trying to play a 4-2-3-1. What O'Neill is trying to do is play a 4-3-2-1/4-2-1-2-1: subtle change, but one that can make a big difference. Instead of having a second striker type attacking mid such as Gerrard, you play a driving midfielder in the Fabregas or Lampard mould, playing deeper. This allows the defensive mids to be involved in the build-up more, and adds to ball retention as the main playmaker is not so far away, allowing shorter, more precise passing. In addition, it also allows the wingers to cut inside into space that would have been taken up by the second striker, at least more effective than otherwise.

If we got Ireland, it'd fit the formation perfectly. You're completely right about the 4-2-3-1 comment, but he's not trying to do that, and it's the pundits' fault for not realising or at least not communicating well enough their ideas.

i watched only the first half of the villa match last night so could be wrong but i thought that they where playing a 4-2-3-1 with albright, young and downing the 3. I didnt see any of them 3 players in a fabragas/lampard role, i thought that the young and albright were on the wings and that downing played like a second striker.

You'd be right, if he was trying to play a 4-2-3-1. What O'Neill is trying to do is play a 4-3-2-1/4-2-1-2-1: subtle change, but one that can make a big difference. Instead of having a second striker type attacking mid such as Gerrard, you play a driving midfielder in the Fabregas or Lampard mould, playing deeper. This allows the defensive mids to be involved in the build-up more, and adds to ball retention as the main playmaker is not so far away, allowing shorter, more precise passing. In addition, it also allows the wingers to cut inside into space that would have been taken up by the second striker, at least more effective than otherwise.

If we got Ireland, it'd fit the formation perfectly. You're completely right about the 4-2-3-1 comment, but he's not trying to do that, and it's the pundits' fault for not realising or at least not communicating well enough their ideas.
souns the the 4-2-1-3. but the thing is that the "1" needs to be fairly expectional player, needs to be pretty constant and able to should a good amounts of responsibility for the play, im not sure ireland is mentally tough enough to do it

i watched only the first half of the villa match last night so could be wrong but i thought that they where playing a 4-2-3-1 with albright, young and downing the 3. I didnt see any of them 3 players in a fabragas/lampard role, i thought that the young and albright were on the wings and that downing played like a second striker.

I think Last night that was more out of needs must then choice, with no Milner for obv reasons, they had no player capable of playing in the Fab/Lampard role. That is how milner was playing last year there.

It was 4-2-3-1 last night which was what irritated me.

Good post though about how he might fit in longer term.

What Scott said, above. Milner is the perfect kind of player for that role, as is Ireland.

souns the the 4-2-1-3. but the thing is that the "1" needs to be fairly expectional player, needs to be pretty constant and able to should a good amounts of responsibility for the play, im not sure ireland is mentally tough enough to do it

He's certainly gifted, and you're right, he might been seen a mentally fragile. However, this will improve with age, and he's still young.

It was 4-2-3-1 last night which was what irritated me.

Good post though about how he might fit in longer term.

You're justified in being annoyed if they said 4-2-3-1 was innovation - ****, it annoys me - what they must mean, BUT don't say, is that it's innovative for Villa. Generally we're 4-4-2/4-3-3, with little variation.

The idea of a 4-2-1-2-1/4-3-2-1/4-2-1-3 (however you want to call it) excites me. It would suit all of our players well: two tricky wingers who look to cut inside, a creative deeper-lying playmaker looking to make runs and two defensive midfielders, at least one of which is good on the ball. An added bonus in this formation is that the central playmaker has extra time on the ball, as well as being able to help out with the defence in the way a second striker like Gerrard is less able to.

Sorry to bump, but why does everyone think milner will sit on the bench? i personally have no idea what system Mancini will play this season, this is what i hope it will be

GK- Given
RB- Boateng
LB- Kolarov
CB- Kompany
CB- Toure/Lescott
CM- Yaya Toure
CM- David Silva
AMR- Adam Johnson/ Weiss
AML- Milner/Bellamy
AMC/FC- Tevez
ST- Adebayor/Balotelli

Obviously that depends on if we get milner and balotelli

Sorry to bump, but why does everyone think milner will sit on the bench? i personally have no idea what system Mancini will play this season, this is what i hope it will be

GK- Given
RB- Boateng
LB- Kolarov
CB- Kompany
CB- Toure/Lescott
CM- Yaya Toure
CM- David Silva
AMR- Adam Johnson/ Weiss
AML- Milner/Bellamy
AMC/FC- Tevez
ST- Adebayor/Balotelli

Obviously that depends on if we get milner and balotelli
Silva will play on the wing, maybe milner will play cm along with toure but i cant see silva in cm unless there is three cm's

You're justified in being annoyed if they said 4-2-3-1 was innovation - ****, it annoys me - what they must mean, BUT don't say, is that it's innovative for Villa. Generally we're 4-4-2/4-3-3, with little variation.

That's kind of what I mean - you can't praise MON for being a tactical innovator and ahead of the curve because in 2010 he plays a formation which eg Ferguson used 20 years ago to win the Cup Winner's Cup or which Benitez got slaughtered for day in and day out for five years for using but the pundits only just realised existed when Germany creamed England in the World Cup.

Will be interesting to see whether MON is going to step outside of his comfort zone this season. Are there still rumblings of discontent amongst you lot about him? He came close to walking out last season didn't he when Lerner told him that there'd be no more funding for attempts to get into CL?

As an Aston Villa fan I wouldn't care if Milner went.. He was nothing at Newcastle paticularly and has only really shone playing under O'Neill and I hope he rots on the Manchester City bench. Stephen Ireland is a class player and then signing McGeady would be fantastic, were quietly building a young team and in two or three years we will rake in the rewards.

Robbie Keane is another topic, I don't paticularly think we need him. He's hard working and a class player but he's not a clinical goalscorer like Defoe or Michael Owen. We need a clinical goalscorer and I think we'd be better off looking for someone who's going to get 20 a season.

That's kind of what I mean - you can't praise MON for being a tactical innovator and ahead of the curve because in 2010 he plays a formation which eg Ferguson used 20 years ago to win the Cup Winner's Cup or which Benitez got slaughtered for day in and day out for five years for using but the pundits only just realised existed when Germany creamed England in the World Cup.

Very true. I always thought Benitez got an unfair amount of stick for using what is really the next big shift in tactics - he was getting slapped around in the press for being ahead of his time.

Will be interesting to see whether MON is going to step outside of his comfort zone this season. Are there still rumblings of discontent amongst you lot about him? He came close to walking out last season didn't he when Lerner told him that there'd be no more funding for attempts to get into CL?

To be honest, there never were. The media made a whole big thing of us beginning to get fed up with him, which is undiluted ****. We're realists, and we remember the time pre-Lerner and pre-O'Neill. We were rubbish. He's a fantastically talented manager, and he's building progressively, steadily, for the future. I wouldn't have anyone else.

Back