Keastie

Reaction score
So at the start of a match I always look at my Assistants feedback;

He always says to
close down 2 players
show 2 players onto their weaker foot
and put hard tackles on 2 players

as soon at the game starts, he then recommends I do the same for 2 other players, as soon as I've done that and its confirmed, he says it for 2 other players.

This continues until all of the Midfielders and Strikers are being Closed Down, Shown onto their weaker foot and recievign hard tackles.

Does this sound right to you?! Am I worth just doing all of this at the beginning of the game?

Closing down their best crossers (fullbacks, wingers most importantly) is an absolute must!
Otherwise yeah, I'm struggling a bit with the opposition instructions and usually do what you do.. would appreciate some advice from someone well versed in this area.

Yeah, I've taken to just doing all of it at the start of a game, but I find that it stifles my team and I dont end up scoring any goals, in particular it takes my strikers out of the game completely. my goals seem to be coming more from my central defensive midfielders, who are set to rarely come forward!

I mostly close down/tight mark wingers and play-makers, go easy tackling on strikers and heavy on any player with bravery below 10 (seems to intimidate them a bit after they got a knock or two....).

Easy tackling also on players with high dribbling/technical skills, as they would run right past you.

Show weaker foot seems to work on pretty much everyone, and I can't really see any disadvantage of using it....

I dont like closing down or tight marking anyone with my 3 man defensive line. I let them go with the individual instructions I gave them. If I have them close down or tight mark specific people the shape is lost completely (nothing like 2 DCs covering one guy leaving one DC to cover 2 or 3.)

I show everyone onto weaker though, close down on goalie, and close down and tackle the DCs hard. It works for my offensive oriented team. It helps create turn overs in their 3rd and can injure their DC's or get them a yellow card when they get ******.

i nomailly leave this unless im up against some good players like rooney walcot gerrard

This is what i do:

GK: Closing down show onto weaker foot
FB: Closing down show onto weaker foot
DC: Closing Down tackling hard
MC: Closing down, tackling hard show onto weaker foot
SMF: Closing down, show onto weaker foot (tackle hard if im up against good wingers and side mids)
AM: Closing down, tackling hard, closing down
ST: Closing down, tackling hard, show onto weaker foot