chewy

Reaction score
Hey all my first post here.

I'm getting fed up with having to make loads of opp instructions during matches, is it just me or is it really tedious?

Is there even a need for so many, seems like i'm basically giving every instruction to most of their team by the time the match is done and I'm getting bored of it already!

Is it a case of me having a naff assistant? and if so whats the main attributes needed for a decent 1.

I'm playing as Bradford just started my 3rd season.

You're right. It is tedious to put the instructions on every match. There's no quick way around it :(

Sorry to rez an ageing topic but...

How essential are Opposition Instructions? I'm half way through second season with Celtic, and have religiously used them up till recently. 1st season I won all three domestic honours (league by 15pts, with only 2 defeats), and got to the final 16 of the CL (going out 2-1 to Arsenal). Second season is going the same way (top by 11, in League cup final, in SFA cup quarter, in last 16 v Man U) but i've now stopped with the individual instructions.

I will use them against good players, but don't see the need any more to go through my routine every week. Is this the right thing to do? I seem to get okay results out of it (D 0-0 v Rangers away, W 4-0 v Hamilton at home, W 1-0 v Aberdeen away, W 3-1 v Motherwell away), and i'm certainly doing as good without the instructions.

Anyone got experience of not using them at all?

well no offence mate but celtic are one of the best in the SPL so no you wont because your team will be better than the other team in that division so its not exactly a must do. but it helps, even if im playin a proper ****** team i always set the opposition insturction forwards "show onto weaker foot". these little things will give you a better chance of winning so really you should but its up to you the only time i dont do it is when im playing pre-season

Makes a big difference for me.

Ive beat Arsenal and Chelsea away from home using them properley.

Edit - And i'm QPR

I still do the "show onto weaker foot" for strikers, and show the wingers infield, but I have stopped the closing down instructions and pretty much everything else.

I realise Celtic are one of the top teams in the SPL, I was just curious about the impact it would have on my results.

OI are useful when used correctly. If you don't know how they'll effect how your team (and individual players) then it's better to leave them off. Sometimes it's not sensible to tell your fullback to show a winger inside if the winger can't cross but can dribble and shoot. Closing down is especially dangerous if you have it set for someone in the AMC position and you aren't using a DMC or an MCd with man-marking instructions because your central defenders will break the defensive line to close the player down.

The difference shows in tight matches more than any. Stopping the opposition playing will cut down their chances of scoring and putting pressure on them correctly when in possession will see you winning the ball further up the pitch and so scoring more.

I still do the "show onto weaker foot" for strikers, and show the wingers infield, but I have stopped the closing down instructions and pretty much everything else.

I realise Celtic are one of the top teams in the SPL, I was just curious about the impact it would have on my results.

It's not good to always show your wingers infield.

If they don't pose any aerial threat and have less aerial and more speedy strikers then it's better to show them on to the wing and force them to cross.

Also it makes a difference with the Easy/Hard option on powerful/weaker strikers as it forces them to play to their weaknesses.

The only one i get confused with is tight marking. Some quick fast player are best not to be closed down as they can nip past defenders. But sometimes i find the urge to man mark and close down players who are fast and skilfull.

If there's a fast and skillful player, he gets man-marked, tightly marked and has hard tackling set. I'm old-fashioned and believe in the Souness style of midfield play. Nobble 'em. :D

Not sure if show onto weaker foot works for all striker,I think it only works with strikers that can shoot with their left and right.

Most of the striker got a weaker and stronger foot you should click on their profile see what it says and then instruct the opposite for it.

Like Rooney Right foot > instructions Left foot

If there's a fast and skillful player, he gets man-marked, tightly marked and has hard tackling set. I'm old-fashioned and believe in the Souness style of midfield play. Nobble 'em. :D

hahaha nice, snap those mother f**kers,
)
so do you use this on players like messi, ronaldo (not the fat c**t brazilian one but the portugese poofter)

I have a really easy way round it that seems to work well for me,I DONT BOTHER USING THEM. I have 3 varients on my team tactics,Defend,Standard and attack.Depending on who im playing and where i simply choose one of them.

hahaha nice, snap those mother f**kers,
)
so do you use this on players like messi, ronaldo (not the fat c**t brazilian one but the portugese poofter)

I've not yet faced those particular players and I think it would depend on where they play in the game - if on the wing, I'd probably be a bit more cautious, perhaps double-marking them rather than closing down always as both those players have a good turn of pace and are skillful and can cut inside as well as cross. However, in the league cup Roque Santa Cruz at Blackburn got kicked out of the game by my league 2 Bury side as he was coming deep for the ball. One thing you do have to be wary of is giving free kicks away in dangerous areas. That's the only real danger, other than the odd red card when the ref is a bit card happy.

It may upset football purists, but teams really do play this way - I mentioned Souness at Liverpool, but I could point to Bremner, Keane, Ince, McMahon, Mascherano, Diarra, Makelelelelele etc who all perform/ed similar roles for teams who play 'good' football.

OI don't replace good tactics, but they provide an edge. One thing which does bother me is that regens only have one good foot. As the game goes on, it becomes a no-brainer to put them on the weaker foot.

yeh i agree with Woody, i won league 2 with a crappy Shrewsbury team and not once did i use the Opposition Instructions, and i WON THE LEAGUE :D (yeh i'm quite happy about that)

but then again i used Zebedee's tactics which seemed to work wonders

What annoy's me the most is when you're half way thru a match and then you change tactic say from a defensive one to an attacking one and it clears all the OI's out an you have to re-do them all... ffs!

A good assistant manager that has high tactical knowledge will advise you on the best use of OI's...

i think its essential to do if you want to win consistently. i started to do this a quater into a season and went unbeaten for the rest of the season winning 30 out of 38 games for the season. scored 99 goals and piled up 95 points. i was ac milan though!

p.s. how do you get screenshots of the game?