Might as well ask "has anyone won at Strictly Calm Dancing, whilst shooting himself in the foot?".

While playing Italian style catenaccio and playing possession are both as far apart from each other as possible, they have one thing in common: as the most extreme philosophies of playing football, both regard a 1:0 as the ideal result. Thus, you have to consider lots of narrow wins as "getting good results".

I'm sure one could create a tactic (given a squad where every player has the "plays short simple passes" PPM) that accumulates 1000 passes one game or the other, but you'd have to tailor everything towards moving the ball around while taking no risks whatsoever. You wouldn't even want to score goals, because every goal gifts the opposition possession for a while. And that's where I sigh and switch off the TV, for football is about scoring goals, not boring the **** out of the spectator.

A midfield diamond, short passing, the "plays one twos" and "short passes" PPMS... They would all add to it. And yes, its possible. Not every single match, but you can hit it. But like Blarry says, it may not be consistent successful if the primary focus is possession and cycle the ball around endlessly.

I've managed to hit around 900+ every game, and against weak teams hit the 1000, but like you said it is quite pointless as you end up passing the ball around with no purpose. I noticed when I was hitting these numbers that quite often my team weren't where I wanted them to be positionally either. I would be happy if they were passing it 1000 times around the edge of the penalty box, but more often than not they would be a bit closer to our own goal than that so it was quite annoying. I would win most of the times by 2-3 goals and concede very little, but the problems often came when the opponent scored. If they score then you want to start playing aggressively, but the tactic is entirely built with the idea that "I will win 1-0 over 90 minutes", so when they score first you are often left watching your team frustratingly do ****** all with the ball.

The problem is with the pressing in FM. If you recreate a team like Bayern or Barca, then you can recreate how they play offensively quite well, but you won't have a high % of possession that's for sure. To do that AND attack like they do in real life would require you to recreate how quickly they win the ball back (not so much for Barca nowadays I guess).

It's probably a good idea to first try to make a tactic that actually presses well and wins the ball high up the pitch, and then you can consider how to get passes. I used to get frustrated watching my team because with the ball they would rack up the passes and be on track for 1000 passes, and then when they lost the ball they were so slow and lazy in winning the ball back even with everything set to maximum.

To win the ball back quickly it seems you need to sacrifice some creativity and employ some players who are less creative but better at pressing, such as a BWM or a standard CM/BBM. This provides another problem of course as ideally you'd just want 11 APs on the pitch to circulate the ball endlessly and get 2000 passes :D

Last edited:
Really looking forward for such a tactic. If anyone ever achieved over 1000 passes, please share the tac.