Ovro's guide to flawless tactic creation.

Liam

Reaction score
Hi, FM-Base.
This is my gift to you.

It's a new outlook on how to create tactics.
A never before taken approach.
But one that shouldn't have ever been overlooked.

You have a blank formation, where to begin?

Well, when I start building a new tactic, I think of my team's defensive shape. And that's how I layout my tactic.
Ex. "Where do I want my right winger when there left back is on the ball."
And of course the answer is simple.
You want him marking him, tracking back. Right?

So to begin, layout your formation as defensive as possible. But try to avoid 'DM' 'MR' and 'ML'.

So next up, we'll be organizing your team's defensive role. How do you want your team to play? Is there a certain shape? Of course there is...
Now, I'm just going to list the basics of a solid, functional formation.

GK: Defend.

LB: Defend Role: Fullback
CB: Defend Role: Limited Defender
CB: Defend Role: Limited Defender
RB: Defend Role: Fullback

CM: Defend Role: Ball Winning Midfielder
CM: Defend Role: Ball Winning Midfielder

AML: Support Role: Advanced Playmaker
AMC: Support Role: Attacking Midfielder
AMR: Support Role: Advanced Playmaker

ST: Advanced Forward: Role: Support

I know what you're thinking... No-one's on the attack? Well, how very wrong you are.

Let's organize that attack of yours...

Here you will be looking to go to player instructions.
Once there, follow these steps.

Step 1: Set LB and RB to Attacking.
Step 2: Set LB and RB to closing down in own half, only.
Step 3: Set MCR to closing down in own half, only.
Step 4: Set both MC's to sometimes play through balls.
Step 5: Set both MC's to run with ball sometimes.
Step 6: Set both MC's to 'Mixed' passing.
Step 7. Set AMR to free role.
Step 8. Set AML and AMR to swap positions throughout the game.
Step 9. Set AML's wide play to move through channels.
Step 10. Set AMR's wide play to move through channels.
Step 11: Set AML and AMR to be attacking.
Step 12: Set AML and AMR to run with ball often and come deep to get the ball often.
Step 13: Set Striker to attacking.
Step 14: Set Striker to Come deep often.
Step 15: Set striker's wide play to cut inside.

Let me quickly debrief you, Lol.

What you have just put together is a defensive and an offensive formation.

Off the ball, your team will shut up shop, that is.. Until they have the ball.
In possession your team will become the force you're looking for.

That's all..

I hope this has given you all a new outlook on player role's and player instruction's and how you can conflict both of them successfully. Just because someones a Ball Winning Midfielder, doesn't mean they can't also be an Advanced Playmaker.

Hopefully, I will now begin to see some better tactics flood the Forums.

Thanks, Ovro. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks good. But is it not better just to reduce the runs from deep ( from often to mixed, mixed to rarely) instead of learning them a pppm that does the same ?

Looks good. But is it not better just to reduce the runs from deep ( from often to mixed, mixed to rarely) instead of learning them a pppm that does the same ?

I was just trying to give an example of how theoretically you could have Defensive wingers and a Defensive forward, but because of player instructions they could also be Inside Forwards and Advanced Forwards respectively.

You're right, that would indeed be better though. :p

As far as I know, you start with 11 players... I count only 10 :D

So, the setup would be the following

Fullbacks
Fullbacks/Defend
Tweaks:
Set the mentality to Attacking and their Closing down to own half

DC: Limited defender /Defend
Tweaks:
none

CMs
Ballwinner/Defend
Tweaks:
sometimes play through balls., run with ball sometimes, Mixed passing.

AMR/L:
Advanced Playmaykers/Support
Tweaks:
free role.
swap positions throughout the game.
wide play to move through channels.
Set mentality to attacking.
to run with ball often
Runs from deep set to rarely

ST:
Advanced Forward/Attack( since there are no support duty)
Tweaks:
Set mentality to attacking
Wide play cut inside
Set runs from deep to mixed

So, the setup would be the following

Fullbacks
Fullbacks/Defend
Tweaks:
Set the mentality to Attacking and their Closing down to own half

DC: Limited defender /Defend
Tweaks:
none

CMs
Ballwinner/Defend
Tweaks:
sometimes play through balls., run with ball sometimes, Mixed passing.

AMR/L:
Advanced Playmaykers/Support
Tweaks:
free role.
swap positions throughout the game.
wide play to move through channels.
Set mentality to attacking.
to run with ball often
Runs from deep set to rarely

ST:
Advanced Forward/Attack( since there are no support duty)
Tweaks:
Set mentality to attacking
Wide play cut inside
Set runs from deep to mixed

Well, only one side would be free role, it just makes the whole attack harder to mark for the opposition. But yes, you're mainly on to the right wavelength.

And then Team Settings would be how you want to play when you're on the offensive.

So off the ball, you're all-round solid, your whole team is in 'defensive mode' and in the ball your BWM will become DLP/AP and well yeah. It's just a concept, I don't even know if that tactic I wrote out would work. :p

Never been great at tactic creation, this should help a lot.

so can you make any formation as long as you stick to the roles is that right?

so can you make any formation as long as you stick to the roles is that right?

You could have the most defensive player off the ball become a striker when you have the ball, that's kind of the point of this thread, but yeah, you're right. ;)

I'm kind of in two minds here.

First of all, an interesting take on setting up player roles and individual instructions :).

On the other hand, this is introduced as a "guide to flawless tactic creation". However, isn't there quite a large part missing :-

What about all the Team Instructions? How to know if your tactic should incorporate a Very Fluid or Very Rigid style? When should your tactic play as Control, Attacking or Counter? How high should your defensive line be? Tempo and width? What Playing Style to adopt? In short, how to know to set all of your Team Instructions up effectively to compliment your players?

Playing devil's advocate here, and I do completely understand what you are trying to achieve here and the help you are offering, there just seems to be quite a large chunk of tactic creation missing?

I'm kind of in two minds here.

First of all, an interesting take on setting up player roles and individual instructions :).

On the other hand, this is introduced as a "guide to flawless tactic creation". However, isn't there quite a large part missing :-

What about all the Team Instructions? How to know if your tactic should incorporate a Very Fluid or Very Rigid style? When should your tactic play as Control, Attacking or Counter? How high should your defensive line be? Tempo and width? What Playing Style to adopt? In short, how to know to set all of your Team Instructions up effectively to compliment your players?

Playing devil's advocate here, and I do completely understand what you are trying to achieve here and the help you are offering, there just seems to be quite a large chunk of tactic creation missing?

Yeah, I just got a bit 'bored' whilst writing it. I kind of rushed the main point across. I'll definitely add to it. But hopefully people will now realize a good tactic isn't based on roles, it's based on how you use the roles.

ovro im thinking of making this tac 3cd 2wingbacks 2cm a amr a aml and a st with the roles you have put in your post would it work or would i have to move the cm to dm to help out the def as i have never made a tac b4 need all the help i need would love to make it so it works with any team not just the big boys

ovro im thinking of making this tac 3cd 2wingbacks 2cm a amr a aml and a st with the roles you have put in your post would it work or would i have to move the cm to dm to help out the def as i have never made a tac b4 need all the help i need would love to make it so it works with any team not just the big boys

In my opinion DM is actually a bugged role, unless you're playing DLP.

I'd go with BWM CM x2 and change their player instructions, so that they're DLPs when they have the ball. :)

It's an interesting post Ovro, but I need some advice. You talked about a 4-2-3-1 but how would you set players in a 4-3-1-2 ?
(Flat back 4, 3CM, 1AM, and 2 Strikers. Just to be clear)

In my opinion DM is actually a bugged role, unless you're playing DLP.

I'd go with BWM CM x2 and change their player instructions, so that they're DLPs when they have the ball. :)

ok thanks but how do i do that like i said i have never made a tac so im clueless and what style and strategy would you go with thanks for the help i know im a pain but thoght its about time i had a go making a tac

Hello Ovro
Meanwhile, sorry for my english, but I use google translator!
Wanting to create a 4-2-4, ok for the roles of defense and midfield, but you septa as the 2 strikers?
I had thought of a CF (S) and an AF (A), what do you think?
Another thing, as far as the settings of the team, how do you behave?
For example, mentality, style of play, steps, etc?
Thank you for your answer

Am i the only who creates a tactic on the players he has?

For instance if you get lets say munian you'll play him on amc instead of Strootman who plays mc even though they are 2 very different players but i think you know what i mean.