• Thread starter Thread starter BBC Sport
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 31
  • Views Views 2K

BBC Sport

BBC Sport News Headlines
Reaction score
sGG8E.jpg

Manchester United striker Michael Owen says he was disappointed after being booed by Newcastle fans during Tuesday's 0-0 draw at St James' Park.

More...

Considering he was there from 2005-2009 and did a lot of good things there I think that was rather pathetic from the Newcastle fans to boo him like that to be honest.

I was rather upset with the fans of Newcastle... he scored 30 goals in 79 appearances for them as well as fighting ongoing injury problems.. it was pathetic!

If you're going to show your contempt for a guy that's played for your club, throw a pig's head onto the pitch.

Pretty pathetic booing him. Somes fans are just downright ungrateful

Considering he was there from 2005-2009 and did a lot of good things there I think that was rather pathetic from the Newcastle fans to boo him like that to be honest.

Yeah, he did loads of good things, like cost us £125k a week and spend all his life being injured, and then instead of taking a paycut and signing a new deal, he ***** off for free, after literally doing **** all for us.

I was rather upset with the fans of Newcastle... he scored 30 goals in 79 appearances for them as well as fighting ongoing injury problems.. it was pathetic!

No, he is a ****.

I can see why they booed him. He needs to man up to be honest it not the first time he has been booed and it wont be the last.

He cost us 16/17m, spent 2/3 of his time with us in the injury room, and pocketed 125k p/w. Total cost of Owen is 35.5m or something. 30 goals doesn't cover a quarter of that. And then to top it all, walks away on a free transfer. What a ****.

Cant blame a guy for going to a big club, rather then saying at a club who called themsleves big.

Cant blame a guy for going to a big club, rather then saying at a club who called themsleves big.

Not the point. SAF was the only one who made any attempt to sign him after he left. He cost newcastle an extraordinary sum of money, and just walks away. The injuries were not the problem. Newcastle took care of him, his treatment would have cost thousands too, and even offered a new contract. Then, turns his back on us.

Pretty sure we can blame him.

Not the point. SAF was the only one who made any attempt to sign him after he left. He cost newcastle an extraordinary sum of money, and just walks away. The injuries were not the problem. Newcastle took care of him, his treatment would have cost thousands too, and even offered a new contract. Then, turns his back on us.

Pretty sure we can blame him.

Not the point.. He signed for Manchester United, not some grobby rival or something, He signed for the biggest club in the country and honestly thought he could take himself to back to the top of the game... He took a pay as you play contract with us, whilst Toon offered him a nornal services contract. So for many to wave 20 quid notes at him, ti imply he left for money, is rather silly. He left to win trohies, he has a short career, and wanted the chance to go back to the very top... No normal person, with no affection for toon, would of done any different.

Fair play to him, he cost Newcastle millions and sat on the sideline injured and is now costing you millions doing the same.

Fair play to him, he cost Newcastle millions and sat on the sideline injured and is now costing you millions doing the same.

Ahhh, thats where Fergie was smart, Pay as you play contract.... So he cost us very little.

Ahhh, thats where Fergie was smart, Pay as you play contract.... So he cost us very little.

Im pretty sure he is earning some sort of basic wage other wise he would be signing on with the ammount of games he has played. Its a shocking signing by Fergie simple as that and if anything Newcastle are lucky he decided to leave.

Im pretty sure he is earning some sort of basic wage other wise he would be signing on with the ammount of games he has played. Its a shocking signing by Fergie simple as that and if anything Newcastle are lucky he decided to leave.

Lol.. You trying to make up for me on the torres thread.. Nope he doesnt get paid unless he plays. and why would he sign on, Newcastle made him a fortune. He has score 13 goals in 40 games now... 1 in 3. very good record for a free signing. Who costs the club nothing unless he plays, and gets paid a higher goal bonus then most, so literally if he is injured he cost the club the medical bills, ( Which are insured) so yep, truly awful signing, wh managed to score in his first 10 games.

Booing, yes he deserved as he cost Newcastle a lot and left on free. But waving 20 quid? FFS he signed pay as you play when Newcastle would have offered him a way better contract.

Scott, Owen is payed even when he is not played. Some basic wage like 20-40K. Then depending on the performance he gets paid more..

Owens 'pay as you play' deal at United involves a basic wage of 40-50k bumped up to a much higher sum by large appearance and goal bonuses. It's not a pay as you play at all.

I can fully understand the Newcastle fans point of view. After costing a club a lot of money in transfer fees, wages, treatment etc and spending a lot of my time injured, i think after getting myself fit i would give them at least one season before moving on.

As for the money grabbing thing, it could be argued that the only reason he went to newcastle was for money, Madrid wanted shot of him, and no-one else was willing to pay 125k a week.

Tbh, he's been a gradually fading light in top class football since he left Liverpool. He did ok at Real, during the time when the first Galactico era was beginning to fade away, they won the title but did little in Europe.

18 goals from 15 starts (41 total appearances) at Real can be looked at as exceptional or poor, you decide.

Last edited:
Lol.. You trying to make up for me on the torres thread.. Nope he doesnt get paid unless he plays. and why would he sign on, Newcastle made him a fortune. He has score 13 goals in 40 games now... 1 in 3. very good record for a free signing. Who costs the club nothing unless he plays, and gets paid a higher goal bonus then most, so literally if he is injured he cost the club the medical bills, ( Which are insured) so yep, truly awful signing, wh managed to score in his first 10 games.

Did the pro's tell you this aswell lol :P

Back