PANDORA'S BOX (460 STRIKERLESS) welcome to the sexy side of football

jonathansmith

Reaction score

Pandora’s box (4-6-0 strikerless)

Welcome one and all to my beloved strikerless tactics, this is the latest instalment after the lovely (not) update ruined the previous tactic and made it too inconsistent to use and I pride my tactics on that and producing great to watch football lots of chances and in general dominate and humiliate the opposition (and who doesn’t want that)…

**** disclaimer ****
If you don’t want to read he entire piece, the tactic is at the bottom with all the supporting info such as match stats league tables ect…

Contents:
  1. History
  2. tactic
  3. positional breakdown
  4. key attributes per position
  5. general maintenance
  6. outro

1. Intro:
this tactic started as my previous tactic (343 strikerless) but with the update the defenders decide to go walkabout into dangerous situations where the ball can be pinched which leads to a CCC for the opposition, the tactic also lost on average 12% possession per game and 90% of the shots were now long shots and the CCC and half chances created previously were now nearly non existent!!!

so the task at hand, change the original tactic so that the possession, CCC and half chances return stop the long shots/reduce significantly but still maintain attractive football…

and here it is I give you PANDORA’S BOX

2. The Tactic:

View attachment 109839View attachment 109844

it is a 460 with a central box of 6 players where there is always someone free which when a player gets the ball and a CM or CB comes to close down, this creates holes for the onrushing SS or CM to exploit, so that is the CCC and Half chances sorted… now with a possession orientation this not only increases the possession %age but also cut the long shots in half. The attractive football is something that comes naturally with my tactics as I like creating what I call “pinball football” pinging the ball in small spaces no dwelling on the ball and slowing the pace… keeping the defence moving which will create gaps even in the deepest most structured defences.

View attachment 109843View attachment 109842View attachment 109841View attachment 109840View attachment 109836View attachment 109837View attachment 109838View attachment 109835

3. Positional Breakdown

GK – The keeper plays the ball to the spare/open man in the defence and if there isn’t any option available then will look to play it to the feet of the roaming AP to start a quick counter.

CB – The CB’s will ball the ball to the WB or into pandora’s box where the fun really begins… in possession in general they will keep things simple but do have the freedom to launch the Hollywood ball over the defence if one of the SS has broken the back line Vardy style, when defending they act as normal CBs don’t break line to challenge for the ball too often and the shape of the line remains in tact with pandora’s box doing all of the pressing.

WB – I wanted to keep the inverted wingbacks from the previous tactic and had my reservations when only having a 4 at the back system as if they drift inside it leaved the entire of the flank exposed if the ball is lost, that is the reason for the central of the AMC becoming an advanced playmaker rather than an SS, the WBs act in the exact same way as before always looking for a 1-2 or taking the ball either down the line or in field depending on where the space allows. In possession again this is kept simple balls into pandora’s box or if the option isn’t on a ball up the line to the SS who will be breaking the back line, and if in a real bind the CB will pull slightly over to create a safe option to start again… in defence the will challenge only what is in front of them typically they will tuck in and make a solid back 4 only moving out if the ball is on their respective flank.

DLP – these 2 act as a swinging pivot for the team, they drop deep to receive the ball and provide option for the WB and CB to pass to, they will have the best pass completion of the team, in possession they will again keep it simple playing “crab football” keep the ball moving and the move alive, as they tend to sit deeper they provide a screen for if the ball is lost but always are looking to create an angle to help the team keep the ball, when defending they will quickly harass the player in possession if in CM which will allow the rest of the players to either drop into the back line or cover available passing channels for the player to give the ball to which generally leads to a quick interception or the player passing back to CB or GK which then allows the front 3 to press the back line with the CM’s ready to pounce if the ball goes over the AMC’s

CM – originally had this player set to a BWM on support but he didn’t hold in the middle for an interception when defending which left gaps for the opporsition to exploit… offensively this player will burst past the AP who drops into holes between defence and mid and will be on the end of a lot of chances throughout a season, when in possession he will look to play to one of the players inside pandora’s box and then burst into the box for the return ball. Defensively will actively challenge what is in front of him but go and chase the ball to the byline as the BWM did.

AP – this guy pulls the strings and chips in with goals too… I prefer to call him a deep lying target man, he will drift deep for space as the rest of pandora’s box moves around each other some being picked up and some not… this guy will always be open to taking the ball in a very tight space on the half turn ready for a through ball to a SS or CM but needs to have the strength to hold the ball up and slow it down to enable players to create space for them selves (think of him as a quarterback in NFL in the pocket waiting to release the ball and if you think Aaron Rodgers this is the football equivalent). Defensively this player will generally pressure the DM and move onto the CB if the ball is played back will stop there as if their GK has the ball then its no harm to us… will tend to be the furthest forward when defending as the SS drop off and keep the full back occupied

SS – these two are your biggest goal threat… always trying to get past the defensive line but start deep enough to be involved heavily in the build up… offensively they will do 1 of 3 things first will pick the ball up deep and run at the defenders bringing the team up the pitch, 2nd​ is that they will run into the channels aiding the WB as previously mentioned… and the final part of their game is breaking the defensively line to get 1 on 1 with the keeper, this tends to happen at least 3 times per game. Defensively they will press any DMs and push towards the FBs and as they stay generally wide they will be able to close the FB quickly from an angle were the only safe option is up the line were our WB will be waiting to pounce.

4. key attributes (per position)

GK – just a good shot stopper nothing fancy doesn’t need to do anything but keep the ball from going in; reflexes, one on ones, handling, positioning

CB – i prefer them quick tall and good in the air passing ability is a bonus; acceleration, jumping reach, tackling, marking, positioning

WB – they are up and down all day (its tiring to watch) but never at full speed don’t need to be the quickest and the more creative the better and defensively sound; acceleration, stamina, work rate, tackling, passing, off the ball, dribbling

DLP – the puppet master is a holding player for the most part so must be able to defend and the better the passing skills the more assists they will get… I prefer mine tall to win an areal duel and help with defending freekicks and corners especially if all 3 SS are short and quick; tackling, marking positioning, stamina, work rate, first touch, passing and vision

CM – similar to the WB in the sense that he will be up and down and cover more ground than any other player in the team, I prefer quicker players in the position able to breeze past a player (think dembele for spurs) and if the ground covered is done in a shorter time that is always a bonus, this player is generally more of a box to box type to give you an idea; acceleration, stamina, workrate, first touch, tackling, composure

AP – this player as I have mentioned previously I prefer to be a deep lying target man, possessing all the attributes of a good target man but with more mobility, doesn’t have to be the tallest but has to be strong and good in tight situations. Strength, first touch, off the ball, balance, anticipation, finishing and passing
SS – these guys work better when quick and great off the ball…. They don’t need to run past players with the ball but be able to get past and create some distance between themselves and the covering defender… they have to be good in tight spaces be able to receive the ball get it under control and either turn and run with the ball or lay it off and spin the defender to be in on goal… I have found that the slower the player the more likely they are to show for the ball rather than be rushing the last defender; acceleration, first touch, off the ball, composure, anticipation agility and balance

5. general maintenance
Training –
Pre-season match tactics on full with this tactic set to all 3 slots, with team cohesion set to very high with the slider all the way to the left and a day off after match.
Through season have defending set pieces selected (once tactic fluid) and have attacking for the other set to high/very high the slider should be 2 clicks from the left again with rest after match not before

Pitch size – max allowed usually but works on league average too

Opposition instructions – none everyone set individually to mark/cover areas of the pitch not the specific man

Ten men? – remove the CM and change the AP to support rather than attack… or remove AP and change CM to attack

Corners – left SS take left corner and vice versa

General tips –

1. [*=center]if you feel the balance isn’t right or the PPMs are going against you i.e. DLP with trait to get further forward set the DLP to defend he will then hold more but not as effective going forward
    [*=center]if WB are too far forward or not quick enough to cover the ground required then take off get further forward
    [*=center]if possession too high and the opposition playing very deep and defensive change WB to support and switch to exploit both flanks to get around it, this also will make the SS move into wider positions and able to cross and switch the SS so move the right SS to the left and vice versa
    [*=center]make sure that left SS is right footed and vice versa… if not rating well switch of a better match up, if trying to use no3 make sure that left SS is left footed and vice versa.
    [*=center]If central CB, DLP or CM are on a yellow wait until 60 mins and sub off as will more than likely get a second yellow and ruin your day!!!
    [*=center]Retrain your wingers with good finishing and your quick strikers to be AMC on the SS role (cheapest and easiest option)
    [*=center]Sell your wingers that can’t finish as there is money to be gained to fill holes that the tactic might have
    [*=center]If you have a target man who is slow (less than 10 acceleration and pace) sell as won’t be able to create enough space in the AP role
    [*=center]Target man type who is mobile enough should be retrained as a AP in the AMC again to save money and will help during set pieces

6. Outro
Well there we have it, it’s finally over you can now go and download the tactic and the real fun begins, if anything has been missed or you have any questions please don’t hesitate to ask I’m usually hovering around the internet somewhere…

View attachment 109832

is there anyone using the tactic, would love to know how your getting on with the tactic, any findings and responses would be great

Just got Parma promoted back to Serie A and plan to use this for the new season. Will let you know how it goes.

Hello my friend,

I just love strikerless tactics so I´m gonna give this a go. I tried many, many tactics from the forum and I was using "park the bus" as my favourite but I find it has its own issues so I´m looking forward to try yours!

Very nice presentation and explanation. I´m really excited about this. Will give some feedback once I have an opinion about it :)

Cheers.

This tactic really needs more attention. I'm actually playing as VfB Stuttgart. With TFF's Destroyer I was able to win the 2. Bundesliga and I won the DFB-Cup as well.

I my second season I decided to go for this tactic here. The only change I've made is:

- set the team shape to "highly structured"

So far this happend:

View attachment 109497

View attachment 109496

Last edited:
Hello my friend,

I just love strikerless tactics so I´m gonna give this a go. I tried many, many tactics from the forum and I was using "park the bus" as my favourite but I find it has its own issues so I´m looking forward to try yours!

Very nice presentation and explanation. I´m really excited about this. Will give some feedback once I have an opinion about it :)

Cheers.

hi i love the strikerless tactics, i love the football created it truely is a masterpiece at times, thanks for the feedback and i cant wait to see what you come up with

This tactic really needs more attention. I'm actually playing as VfB Stuttgart. With TFF's Destroyer I was able to win the 2. Bundesliga and I won the DFB-Cup as well.

I my second season I decided to go for this tactic here. The only change I've made is:

- set the team shape to "highly structured"

So far this happend:

View attachment 1098834

View attachment 1098835

some great results, how come you decided to change to highly structured rather than the original, would love to know if there was a reason behind it...

cant wait to see how the season finishes and your thoughts on how to improve the tactic?

Hey guys,

Test with Newcastle , No transfer , Half season
View attachment 1098844View attachment 1098845View attachment 1098846View attachment 1098847

Pretty nice atm :)
No OI
Training:during season>> Team cohesion average and Att.Movement

I think it's could be better if we play Balanced or Fairly Wide , need to do some try

Gratz to Jonathansmith again , very good tactics
PS: Every time with Chambly? are you french?

thanks for the update, some really nice results would love to see some SS of the match stats of individual games to go a little deeper into how the tactic plays,

i have been looking at playing around with some of the team instructions and everytime i change something it seems to have a negative effect on the play

no im english.... im gona split the group now and let you know that i am a spurs fan but this tactic was created during my unemployed to legend save and i was too lazy to test properly hence why im in 2020!!!

some great results, how come you decided to change to highly structured rather than the original, would love to know if there was a reason behind it...

cant wait to see how the season finishes and your thoughts on how to improve the tactic?

Thanks mate! Well I'm often trying to tweak an existing tactic. For me personally I do not like the team shape "very fluid", because most of my teams I managed so far in FM17 had big problems especially in away matches.

I think that "highly structured" decreases the chance to lose the ball (especially if you're managing an underdog team).
Of course it's weaker in offensive style now. In order to fix that I actually switched the mentality to "control".

Maybe this two tweaks could improve it, but I'm still not sure about the "control" setting. My first games with that tweaks:

View attachment 109480

View attachment 109479

View attachment 109478

View attachment 109466

Thank you for that great work! :)

Last edited:
thanks for the update, some really nice results would love to see some SS of the match stats of individual games to go a little deeper into how the tactic plays,

i have been looking at playing around with some of the team instructions and everytime i change something it seems to have a negative effect on the play

no im english.... im gona split the group now and let you know that i am a spurs fan but this tactic was created during my unemployed to legend save and i was too lazy to test properly hence why im in 2020!!!

let see
View attachment 109474View attachment 109473View attachment 109472View attachment 109471View attachment 109470View attachment 109469

View attachment 109468View attachment 109467

Thanks mate! Well I'm often trying to tweak an existing tactic. For me personally I do not like the team shape "very fluid", because most of my teams I managed so far in FM17 had big problems especially in away matches.

I think that "highly structured" decreases the chance to lose the ball (especially if you're managing an underdog team).
Of course it's weaker in offensive style now. In order to fix that I actually switched the mentality to "control".

Maybe this two tweaks could improve it, but I'm still not sure about the "control" setting. My first games with that tweaks:

View attachment 1098851

View attachment 1098852

View attachment 1098853

View attachment 1098865

Thank you for that great work! :)

great results the tactic relly looks solid for you.... in short what tweaks have you done to the original tactic for others and myself to try out as you might be onto something but also might be your team and individual players

great results the tactic relly looks solid for you.... in short what tweaks have you done to the original tactic for others and myself to try out as you might be onto something but also might be your team and individual players

- team shape: highly structured
- mentality: control

but I'm still not sure if the mentality is better on standard or control..
yes of course, maybe it does fit to my team, I've to give it more time to test :)